Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 30th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately its now a google issue. There's no malware on BE but we just have to wait for the google team to catch up!
I thought that!
Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
OMG! I don't envy you. I heard about the weather on the news and I can't imagine being in such extreme heat. Best of luck with selling your things.
The heat is my new obstacle. Hate the heat, don't want it to stop the ball rolling now we are doing so well.
I think we need to leave the house early and get stuff done. Heat or no heat. I hate to waste a day or two and get behind. So today Dd and I are going into the valley (may aswell be Death Valley it's so hot) must do some shopping we are out of food and Dd has a birthday party to go to this week, and the child won't be happy if I just stick money in a card I know it.
So think of me sweating it out. I'd rather do that at the gym, not in the car and in public shopping
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have been mis sing because of no access to wifi.
I'm stitting in the Bude, Cornwall Tourist Centre and I have access.
Kids are on the beach. DW is resting in the car.
We had a busy week in Brecon. Ross, and other places.
More later.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
More later.
Sounds wonderful.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

More later.
Lucky you!! I am so jealous - I absolutely love Cornwall - have such happy memories of vacations there when I lived in England. Maybe you'll bump into Doc Martin.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

More later.
Sounds Lovely to us lot over here, also a Cornwall Fan.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The heat is my new obstacle. Hate the heat, don't want it to stop the ball rolling now we are doing so well.
I think we need to leave the house early and get stuff done. Heat or no heat. I hate to waste a day or two and get behind. So today Dd and I are going into the valley (may aswell be Death Valley it's so hot) must do some shopping we are out of food and Dd has a birthday party to go to this week, and the child won't be happy if I just stick money in a card I know it.
So think of me sweating it out. I'd rather do that at the gym, not in the car and in public shopping
MITF today its lovely 75f here in the south of England, blue skies & lots of sunshine, I know how you feel about the weather where you are, right now in Vegas its 115f and yesterday just up the road in death valley it was 138f
So just think of what you have to look forward to when you return home to this lovely little Island called England you can actually take a nice walk without passing out.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Lucky you!! I am so jealous - I absolutely love Cornwall - have such happy memories of vacations there when I lived in England. Maybe you'll bump into Doc Martin.
Yep me too, when I was a kid we drove up there for a weeks holiday every other year, it was fab!!!! the whole family would pile into our ford popular and drive from Pompey to Cornwall, and these were the easier, simpler and safer days before the invention of UK motorways
Yes we would pass through all the little villages and towns on the way, stop in Somerset for fish & chips sprinkled with salt & vinegar wrapped in newspaper emmmm lovely, it would take us all day from morning to early evening to get there, but that was regarded as an important part of the holiday, ---- wheres the fun in speeding along the motorway risking your lives just to get there in say 4 hours instead of 8 hours,
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Celticspirit..have you decided what you are going to do yet.
Thank you for asking Trotty. It's as complicated as ever. Ex no money to do repairs recommended by realtor. We plan to get it done this month. Most of the staging has been done from the realtor's stager expert and hired movers to move the furniture around the house as recommended. I hate how the house looks but she is the expert in www.HackberryCreek.com is our neighborhood.
It's a lot less worrysome now that my daughter had a wonderful East Village marriage last month. Now I can concentrate on moving. My dogs are all ready except for the paperwork to be done when I have a flight date. I have been back twice before with 40' containers. I could not afford to do that again. I also think a fresh start is healthy. Sadly, most rentals come furnished in Northern Ireland. Dont want to sit on somone else's sofa, nor sleep on a used mattress :-(. NI is expensive $800 or more for a decent neighborhood. I have found a consignment/antique store here for my furniture/objets d'art and they already have all of my silver as old as 1800's and old Staffordshires stuff. They take 50%. Better than nothing.
I originally thought I would take everything, but reality is at 69, I do not want to own.....just lease. Belfast is expensive.....I need an apartment/townhouse with a small garden...as much for my mental health as for my dogs. I am very lucky that there is a direct flight from Belfast to NYC. It's just a couple of hours longer as from Dallas to NYC. Love reading everyone's news. xx
Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh my gosh me too. 106 yesterday. Didn't leave the house and today we wanted to sort the garage but opted for a movie and Chili's restaurant instead. Ok....there's always tomorrow. Most stuff is dog show equipment......so will advertise on a dog show website. I have sent a ton of stuff to my brothers house in Belfast from a UK pet web site. He said to me in a phone call (I hope you all know about Viber......free texts and calls for free) if he needed to rehydrate my dogs:-( in the packages. He has an Irish Setter. Very friendly but could hurt a 4 lb dog. So I will set up an exercise pen on the lawn for my dogs to be protected when his dog is there .....also applies to indoors. I'm grateful I have s place to stay with my girls until I have my own. I will add I am very shocked the UK is so dog unfriendly as compared to the USA and mainland Europe.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I will add I am very shocked the UK is so dog unfriendly as compared to the USA and mainland Europe.
What do you mean by this? I see so many people out with their dogs over here - it becomes an obstacle course some days - dogs on the pavement (sidewalk) and tied up at the doors of shops whilst the owner is inside. Dog poo waste bins in public places, some with free poo bags also.

I am very unpopular with dog owners as I don't think they should be allowed in public places, unless they are guide dogs.

Are you talking about administrative matters with bringing dogs into the country, or is it something else?
Old Jul 1st 2013, 8:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120

I am very unpopular with dog owners as I don't think they should be allowed in public places, unless they are guide dogs.
How on earth are they supposed to exercise their dogs then?
Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How on earth are they supposed to exercise their dogs then?
I did say I was unpopular with dog owners...

Here in Devon dogs are exercised on the beaches at certain times of the day. Unless you have a large garden or yard, I don't see how people can have a large dog without having areas set aside for them to be exercised in - small dogs can manage better with the typical British small garden. It's having dogs on the pavement and tied up in front of shops, plus the resultant dog mess from the poor dog owner that makes me feel the way I do. To my mind - and I am sure I shall get shot down from afar for saying this - if you don't have the living accommodation to give the dog what it needs (space) then maybe you should consider another type of pet.

And before I get labelled a dog hater - I am not. I have had dogs as pets growing up, and as an adult. They need space to run and be normal dogs, and this overcrowded island lacks space for lots of recreational needs, pets included.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
What do you mean by this? I see so many people out with their dogs over here - it becomes an obstacle course some days - dogs on the pavement (sidewalk) and tied up at the doors of shops whilst the owner is inside. Dog poo waste bins in public places, some with free poo bags also.

Are you talking about administrative matters with bringing dogs into the country, or is it something else?
No, I believe the UK is very dog friendly unless you are looking to RENT and the majority of those leasing properties don't permit pets nor smokers. Happily I don't smoke.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 6:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Oh my gosh me too. 106 yesterday. Didn't leave the house and today we wanted to sort the garage but opted for a movie and Chili's restaurant instead. Ok....there's always tomorrow. Most stuff is dog show equipment......so will advertise on a dog show website. I have sent a ton of stuff to my brothers house in Belfast from a UK pet web site. He said to me in a phone call (I hope you all know about Viber......free texts and calls for free) if he needed to rehydrate my dogs:-( in the packages. He has an Irish Setter. Very friendly but could hurt a 4 lb dog. So I will set up an exercise pen on the lawn for my dogs to be protected when his dog is there .....also applies to indoors. I'm grateful I have s place to stay with my girls until I have my own. I will add I am very shocked the UK is so dog unfriendly as compared to the USA and mainland Europe.
I drove past chilis at lunchtime and was tempted, but needed to keep moving and get home, I was home by 2pm and was still melting getting the things out of the car.
I talked to the realtor this morning, she is arraigning to come with all paperwork and get the house listed on July 10th, she said she already has some interested buyers. So we'll see, found out how much the house round the corner went for, we are hoping to be close in price to them. There house is very cute looking, but according to the realtor we have a better usable lot, bigger garage, better floorplan, better views. But they have a small in ground pool (takes up all the flat area they have) and an indoor laundry. I'm on pins.
Cleared out the closets today and packed winter clothes we will keep into a suitcase and boxed up the rest for the thrift shop along with enough coat hangers to sink a ship. My closets now look much bigger (they were big already) Washing winter ski pants now so I can pack them too, they were so dusty from lack of use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.