Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by HighTide
Enjoy your Sunday lunch

It's a beautiful sunny day down in Devon.....
We have had a beautiful week all barring one day. It was my nephew's wedding yesterday which was a real fun affair. It was a second marriage so just a small affair with about 26 people. Registry office followed by a 3 course lunch at a lovely old restaurant in Exeter. Welcomed in by a glass of Pimms and then a sit down lunch . Back to their house for a bit of a party. Met some wonderful new people . A real fun day. Oh yes and the night before the Stag do ....really glad I restrained myself....there were a couple of bad hangovers. Just can't do stags the night before the wedding.
Sounds just lovely David, our wedding last week was very low key too, married in the Registry office and a sit down meal for about 40 guests. It was a first time wedding for both but they have lived together for 3 years and have little twin boys.

The weather up north is definitely not as good as down south I have to say.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by aviva
I really don't understand why everyone thinks that the Allied Nations are doing such a wonderful thing in Libya. They never do squat about atrocities by leaders against their people all over Africa. They are just protecting the flow of the purest oil on the planet. IMO!
Agree with you there Aviva! I spend most of my childhood in a wonderful little landlocked country and former British colony called Rhodesia. Its now Zimbabwe and under the dubious 'leadership' of Robert Mugabe who is arguably the biggest nutter of them all, commiting crimes from electoral fraud, re-distribution of land to other vile atrocities against his people while sitting with billions in a Swiss Bank account. I dont see anyone rushing to help those poor people.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I think her name is Cindy - there was a thread a couple of days ago about airplane fares being much higher than last year - and I believe Cindy's name was mentioned. Maybe you could send a note to Sue (the administrator) and she would put you in touch with the right person.
It's Cindyabs - she found a good flight deal for me last year, very quick at replying to emails.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
Agree with you there Aviva! I spend most of my childhood in a wonderful little landlocked country and former British colony called Rhodesia. Its now Zimbabwe and under the dubious 'leadership' of Robert Mugabe who is arguably the biggest nutter of them all, commiting crimes from electoral fraud, re-distribution of land to other vile atrocities against his people while sitting with billions in a Swiss Bank account. I dont see anyone rushing to help those poor people.
I do buy into the "oil connection" that seems to dictate some of the UK and US decisions whether to intervene. However, whenever Zimbabwe is raised in the TV political debate progams, the point is always raised that the other African nations would not support external intervention (and therefore any intervention would seem to be a colonial invasion).

Then of course there was the intervention in the Balkans, and Rwanda - presumably these were not oil-related but purely humanitarian?

Politics is complicated.

[On a side note, I watched an amazing documentary recently called "Mugabe and the White African". Very moving expose of what is going on in Zimbabwe.]
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
The Buxton trip is off due to the bloomin' horrid weather.

We are going instead to Lady Hayes then to Delamere Forest for lunch.

http://www.ladyheyes.co.uk/
Oh I remember picnics in Delamere Forest when my children were young and we lived in Cheshire. Happy Days!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
I work with a young man from Zimbabwe (born there when it was Rhodesia). We have often discussed the situation there under Mugabe (this young man still has family there). I totally agree - the only reason we are getting involved in Iraq and now Libya is because of the oil. The atrocities in these African countries don't seem to matter any more - and they should - Rhodesia was a British colony for many years.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Kenya and the Maw Maw and I think we got involved in Singapore/Maylaya.

We have just got the bill for these military actions and we are in the poor house and we look up to the new upcoming prosperous nations.

With the events in Japan we are looking or getting a glimpse of their prosperity in Tokyo. Not bad. Where have we been? See above.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

The Buxton trip is off due to the bloomin' horrid weather.

We are going instead to Lady Hayes then to Delamere Forest for lunch.

http://www.ladyheyes.co.uk/
Ooooohhh! What fun!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

error..

Last edited by fulwood; Mar 20th 2011 at 5:03 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:23 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
I think my reply was lost but I wanted to comment on the government supplied car program. Someone I know in Liverpool who was born with no arms, due to a drug screw up, and she when she was old enough was given a specially equipped car that she could drive. The last time I saw her she was a supervisor at her place of work. I got to love a country that allows people to live normal life with some help. I maybe wrong but I think in the US she would probably be given social security and never be able to get a job.

Cheers, I couldn't agree with you more. I think the US has disability benefits ALL wrong. Tony has a disabled (mentally) brother who lives here with us. David is in his early 50s and thanks to several charities, lives a full, active life. Because of this, we are fairly integrated into the disabled society as a whole - I am talking about the truly disabled - and we are amazed at what a great job that people in this country do to help them. I realize that in a roundabout way it is the government helping, but the real help comes from people (like my mother-in-law) who volunteer for these charities and give so much in time and money to help the disabled.

But I also see that, because of such a wide, generous system, there are far too many people taking the pi** out of it all and milking the system. You all can say what you want but it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

As good as the system is in many respects here, I don't think there's enough oversight and that's why so many people get away with benefit fraud for so many years.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:26 pm
DDL

That was probably Thalidomide Cheers.A drug was given to women who had morning sickness in the 1960's that had horrific side effects with loss of limbs. My mum was offered it when pregnant with my sister, but luckily she said no.
And on the other side of the Atlantic it happened, too. My Mom was given Thalidomide and my sister was born with a club foot; it was directly attributed to the drug.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
And on the other side of the Atlantic it happened, too. My Mom was given Thalidomide and my sister was born with a club foot; it was directly attributed to the drug.
DDL Denise, I am surprised to hear this, because I thought in the USA the FDA, to their eternal credit, had noticed worrying things about thalidomide and not allowed it to be licensed or used in USA. (In fact I think I read somewhere that this was due to one vigilant woman in the FDA but am fuzzy on the details).

In Germany and UK and other places in Europe, it was marketed despite many red flags being raised by various researchers and doctors, but I have always thought that it was never used in the USA.

Your mother's/sister's story contradicts this--so perhaps it was used but on a very small scale?

Here's a link to info about a very interesting book by a thalidomide survivor, well-known in England, Louise Madus-Mansell. She tells her own story and also some of the thalidomide background.

http://www.gwales.com/news/?news_id=11794&tsid=2

Tina
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:52 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by bandrui
I agree with you Cheers. I am a pacifist and not pro-war but Quadaffi was going to bomb the hell out of his own people, civilians to boot, and I am very proud of the way that US, UK, France and the League of Arab Nations are handling this. The man (Quadaffi) is a complete nutter.

Agree. And I hope he gets what he deserves ... but this should have happened years ago.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:07 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by between two worlds
DDL Denise, I am surprised to hear this, because I thought in the USA the FDA, to their eternal credit, had noticed worrying things about thalidomide and not allowed it to be licensed or used in USA. (In fact I think I read somewhere that this was due to one vigilant woman in the FDA but am fuzzy on the details). In Germany and UK and other places in Europe, it was marketed despite many red flags being raised by various researchers and doctors, but I have always thought that it was never used in the USA. Your mother's/sister's story contradicts this--so perhaps it was used but on a very small scale? Here's a link to info about a very interesting book by a thalidomide survivor, well-known in England, Louise Madus-Mansell. She tells her own story and also some of the thalidomide background.http://www.gwales.com/news/?news_id=11794&tsid=2
Tina
Hi Tina,

Hmmm, well ... that's what my Mom always said was the cause and she's no longer around so I can't ask her.

The Wiki article says this:
And although thalidomide was never approved for sale in the United States, millions of tablets had been distributed to physicians during a clinical testing program. It was impossible to know how many pregnant women had been given the drug to help alleviate morning sickness or as a sedative.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi Tina,

Hmmm, well ... that's what my Mom always said was the cause and she's no longer around so I can't ask her.

The Wiki article says this:
And although thalidomide was never approved for sale in the United States, millions of tablets had been distributed to physicians during a clinical testing program. It was impossible to know how many pregnant women had been given the drug to help alleviate morning sickness or as a sedative.
Ak thank you, Denise, I didn't know about the tablets distributed in the US in the clinical testing program.

Wow. Your mother was probably right, then. And thank goodness the effect on your sister--awful though it is about her foot--was not even worse, as in so many other horrific cases.....

I've appended below the whole Wiki paragraph you quoted, because it gives the name of the doctor who is responsible for refusing FDA approval, in case anyone else has been following this conversation. She deserves a lot of credit, her action must have saved unknown huge numbers of American thalidomide victims.

The impact in the United States was minimized when pharmacologist and M.D. Frances Oldham Kelsey refused Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for an application from the Richardson-Merrell company to market thalidomide, saying further studies were needed. And although thalidomide was never approved for sale in the United States, millions of tablets had been distributed to physicians during a clinical testing program. It was impossible to know how many pregnant women had been given the drug to help alleviate morning sickness or as a sedative.

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.