British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Jun 13th 2013 6:58 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10755570)
The photos are absolutely beautiful! Ooooh I feel the urge for a road trip coming on. When my great-grandmother retired from teaching she bought a cottage in Northumberland; I'm sure it was in Belford. I'll have to ask Dad when he gets back.

I have passed through Belford several times, but had never stopped until my last drive through. It is quite a nice spot and seems to be the best route from Bamburgh to my village.

Perth Jun 13th 2013 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10755549)
This might be a better link as the last one takes you into the middle of the album:)

http://lf1photos.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Just lovely! Makes me all misty. Thanks for sharing <sniff>

jasper123 Jun 14th 2013 10:09 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10754565)
Well ... I checked my Lotto numbers this morning ... the first three lucky numbers were the same as the first three numbers in my first draw ... I thought "Wow, looking good" ... but that was it.

So I've won a tenner (Does it still count as winning when you get back less than you bet?)

Euromillions are on Friday. :fingerscrossed:

Yes indeed dunroving, YOUR A WINNER!!!! now one thing worth knowing is about the Euromillions when you check your numbers today, even if you only have two numbers you still get something -------- not much ---- like £5 and also the thunderball gives you something for just a couple of numbers I think, what I do is I check my numbers on line, on the main lotto site and then it has something that you can click on to get the prize breakdown too, and on the euromillions dont forget to not only check your numbers but also the millionaire number in the middle of the ticket, it starts with 3 letters followed by numbers, if you win that then you get one million pounds :D:shades_smile:

jasper123 Jun 14th 2013 10:12 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10754361)
Your post count updates every time you post :)
If you go back to your first ever post (which at the time would've said 1, it'll now say 2,709.

My post count is currently 77,683 - on my reply above to Cheers. When I post this though it will become 77,684 - and that will appear on ALL my posts.
When I post again somewhere else all my posts will reflect the new count, 77,685.

When you reply to this message your post count will update to 2,710 :)

Thanks pollyana.
Take care,
Rodney.

jasper123 Jun 14th 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10755252)
OK I'm getting them now. Thank you for sending them.

I'm off to England now. I will see if I can send from my ipad along the way if I have anything to report.

Cheers

Cheers ARE YOU HERE YET????
Have a great time, take care,
Rodney,
PS the weather this summer so far has been absolutely horrible, I hope you bring some sunshine with you :D

dunroving Jun 14th 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10756415)
Yes indeed dunroving, YOUR A WINNER!!!! now one thing worth knowing is about the Euromillions when you check your numbers today, even if you only have two numbers you still get something -------- not much ---- like £5 and also the thunderball gives you something for just a couple of numbers I think, what I do is I check my numbers on line, on the main lotto site and then it has something that you can click on to get the prize breakdown too, and on the euromillions dont forget to not only check your numbers but also the millionaire number in the middle of the ticket, it starts with 3 letters followed by numbers, if you win that then you get one million pounds :D:shades_smile:

Actually, when I took my Lotto tickets in, I had won £20! She said "you must have got the bonus number" - do you get a tenner for just getting the bonus number? I know the Lotto Web site said match 3 numbers = £10, and I definitely only had one row that matched 3 numbers .... anyway, I wasn't complaining.

curleytops Jun 14th 2013 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10756428)
Cheers ARE YOU HERE YET????
Have a great time, take care,
Rodney,
PS the weather this summer so far has been absolutely horrible, I hope you bring some sunshine with you :D

It's been lovely up in God's own country Rodney :D

mikelincs Jun 15th 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10756691)

Lovely down here as well, sun is shining now.. :thumbsup:

jasper123 Jun 15th 2013 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10756691)

where are you now curleytops? are you on holiday in the UK?

curleytops Jun 15th 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10758318)
where are you now curleytops? are you on holiday in the UK?

We moved up to Scarborough about 7 months ago and love it :thumbsup:

jasper123 Jun 15th 2013 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10756432)
Actually, when I took my Lotto tickets in, I had won £20! She said "you must have got the bonus number" - do you get a tenner for just getting the bonus number? I know the Lotto Web site said match 3 numbers = £10, and I definitely only had one row that matched 3 numbers .... anyway, I wasn't complaining.

Hi dunroving, so glad you won something, the lottery main site is www.national-lottery.co.uk and it has the results and prize breakdowns of all the lotterys, past and present,
Lotto, thunderball, and euromillions, and for the lotto you need 3 numbers to win anything and its £10,
on the thunderball just having the bonus ball gets you £3 and the thunderball plus 3 numbers gets you £20, on the euro millions I think you get something by just having 2 numbers,

jasper123 Jun 15th 2013 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10758329)
We moved up to Scarborough about 7 months ago and love it :thumbsup:

Noooooooooooooooo your kidding, I thought you were still in Canada, or maybe im just having a senior moment, goodness gracious me where does all the time go,
Ive never been to Scarborough, I think its somewhere up north :unsure:

curleytops Jun 15th 2013 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10758360)
Noooooooooooooooo your kidding, I thought you were still in Canada, or maybe im just having a senior moment, goodness gracious me where does all the time go,
Ive never been to Scarborough, I think its somewhere up north :unsure:

I've been back nearly as long as you Rodney, spent 18 months in Folkestone before coming north.

jasper123 Jun 15th 2013 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10758384)
I've been back nearly as long as you Rodney, spent 18 months in Folkestone before coming north.

I do remember now when you came home, yes it wasn't long after me, is Scarborough where you are going to settle, is it where you were born/raised?
where I am ---- Portsmouth, its where I was born and raised, even if my Mother was no longer alive I would have still came back to this old Town, to me everything is
familiar, although people say that the town has changed a lot over the years, I cant see any change, funny really everywhere I go everything looks just as I had left it 40 years ago, so living in my home town feels comfortable to me, I know that there are soooooo many places in England/UK that are much more beautiful then where I am, but I feel very contented here, its a great feeling I have now of belonging somewhere, funny really that I never had that feeling until I came back home for good!!!!
I havent found paradise, but Ive re-discovered somewhere that I will be very happy to live for the remainder of my life, all my whole family lived and died here going back hundreds of years,
My Sister died 3 months after I came home of lung cancer, she was only 69, now the most recent family member to die was last week, my uncle 81, he was a young uncle only 13 years older then me, he suffered with parkinsons for 15 years, and finally the disease took him,
Take care curleytops,
Rodney.

curleytops Jun 15th 2013 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10758428)
I do remember now when you came home, yes it wasn't long after me, is Scarborough where you are going to settle, is it where you were born/raised?
where I am ---- Portsmouth, its where I was born and raised, even if my Mother was no longer alive I would have still came back to this old Town, to me everything is
familiar, although people say that the town has changed a lot over the years, I cant see any change, funny really everywhere I go everything looks just as I had left it 40 years ago, so living in my home town feels comfortable to me, I know that there are soooooo many places in England/UK that are much more beautiful then where I am, but I feel very contented here, its a great feeling I have now of belonging somewhere, funny really that I never had that feeling until I came back home for good!!!!
I havent found paradise, but Ive re-discovered somewhere that I will be very happy to live for the remainder of my life, all my whole family lived and died here going back hundreds of years,
My Sister died 3 months after I came home of lung cancer, she was only 69, now the most recent family member to die was last week, my uncle 81, he was a young uncle only 13 years older then me, he suffered with parkinsons for 15 years, and finally the disease took him,
Take care curleytops,
Rodney.

Sorry to hear about your recent loss, we had one of our own as well. My Dad's cousin passed away a couple of weeks ago, Dad had fully intended visiting him while he's here on holiday and sadly it turned out to be a funeral instead. On the bright side, he's just had a great visit with his 102 year old Aunt and he swears she looks better than she did when we last visited her in 2011!

We are hoping to stay in Scarborough; it's a nice place we've grown to love also at the seaside but lovely country villages nearby as well. Both hubby and I were born in South Shields in the northeast (it seems we were born with sea water in our blood :lol: ) which has both pretty and not so pretty areas. I understand what you mean about going back to your old neighbourhood and still having it feel comfortable even after so many years - that's the way ours feels to us and we'd have no hesitation about going back to the same area if things don't work out here.