British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

rebs Jun 1st 2013 1:59 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10735600)
Thanks for this valuable info. To clearify.... Right now if I'm in the grocers for example I just swipe my card and sign, and they have done away with signing for below $50. Are you saying my credit card won't work in the UK because I don't have a chip?

Cheers

No, I'm not saying that... I was referring to UK issued credit cards.

Using your US card, you may be ok, or you may have issues in some places - it depends if they can deal with non chip&pin cards. If you head over to the US board and do a search you should find some discussion about experiences people have had in various shops while visiting the UK.

Derrygal Jun 1st 2013 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10735607)

Using your US card, you may be ok, or you may have issues in some places - it depends if they can deal with non chip&pin cards. If you head over to the US board and do a search you should find some discussion about experiences people have had in various shops while visiting the UK.

I was back in the UK last Fall. I contacted my US bank to let them know I would be overseas so they wouldn't put a block on my card. The credit car worked in some stores - others it did not. However I was able to complete my transaction. Just tell the store clerk that it is a US issued credit card and they can swipe it for you at the register. Most of the UK stores have a "tap and go" feature now - US credit cards won't work in those situations because they don't have a chip, but the store clerk should still be able to take the card - they just run it through the register.

cheers Jun 1st 2013 2:28 pm

Yes I was just reading Steve Reeves, do you know him? He says not to worry.
One thing he does confuse me about and that is he says a lot of merchants don't take credit cards because of the fees they have to pay. That is contrary to what I have understood and that is the locals charge everything???

Cheers

dunroving Jun 1st 2013 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10735581)
WhoFan63? You can find some of her updates here... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794426

If you want cable or satellite services then yes, you would have to pay in addition to the TV Licence. There are alternatives though - you can get the terrestrial channels (BBC1 & 2, ITV1, Channel 4 & Channel 5) just through an aerial if the reception is good enough in your area.

Or there are various subscription free services such as Freeview or Freesat. These will give you the terrestrial channels plus the 'free to air' channels - including some HD channels if they are available in your area (and you have a digital freeview or freesat device).

TV Licence is free once you are over 75 if that is of use to you.

Yes - you get a PIN with your credit card - the 'chip' is the smart card technology inside the card - hence the name 'chip & pin' - the chip in the card, the pin in your head ;)

You mean I'm not supposed to write it down on a piece of paper I keep in my wallet? How am I supposed to remember it?

cheers Jun 1st 2013 2:49 pm

They don't give PINS with credit cards here? Debit cards they do.

islandwoman120 Jun 1st 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10735647)
One thing he does confuse me about and that is he says a lot of merchants don't take credit cards because of the fees they have to pay. That is contrary to what I have understood and that is the locals charge everything???

Cheers

Many of the smaller merchants have a minimum spend on a debit or credit card, otherwise they impose a small change, such as 30p or maybe a bit more, eg you need to spend £6 or £10 to not incur charges. Many places don't accept checks/cheques any longer. I rarely carry cash on me now - use my debit card almost exclusively, at least locally, where I am aware of the extra charges and buy accordingly,

dunroving Jun 1st 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10735673)
They don't give PINS with credit cards here? Debit cards they do.

I think the US has been slow to catch up with chip and PIN technology for credit cards. My US ATM/debit card has a PIN, but not my US credit card.

To reiterate what some others have already said, in the UK, my understanding is that legally business owners have to allow you to use a credit card with a signature for the purchase (rather than using the PIN card readers) - however, in practice some shops flat refuse (or rather they say they can't do it). I think it tends to be more small shops (newsagents, etc.), and I'm guessing it's probably because someone getting paid minimum wage isn't trained in all the legal aspects of payment methods. I've had this problem in the past.

cheers Jun 1st 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10735677)
I rarely carry cash on me now - use my debit card almost exclusively, at least locally, where I am aware of the extra charges and buy accordingly,

I thought I was the only one that didn't carry cash.
I use my American Express card and now I get points for using it. I will avoid using it in the UK. ( 12 days to go:thumbsup:)
I have a Mastercharge/Visa credit cards and cash which I will use.

Cheers

rebs Jun 1st 2013 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10735647)

Cheers

I would disagree that it is 'a lot' of merchants that don't take credit cards - as others have said some smaller independent type shops might have a minimum spend. The only other places that I would not use a card would be market stalls - either regular or farmer's market type places.

I tend to find I can use a card everywhere I shop, but I might not be able to use my Amex card - there are plenty of places, large and small that don't take Amex (due to the fees, I believe).

coastieexpat Jun 1st 2013 4:19 pm

US Credit Cards With Smart Chip Technology .........

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/us-c...+Points+Guy%29

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 1st 2013 4:36 pm

I prefer to use cash except when buying gas/petrol, its easy to track for business use, plus I get a discount.

My wife went into the post office the other day, the lady behind the counter said they couldn't accept a Credit card as the machine was down, fortunatly we use cash, the lady said many people use a CC to buy one stamp, that just sounds crazy to me.

People moan that the banks have too much power but then use credit /debit cards to make them more wealthy and more powerful, getting 3% of every dollar/pound spent from merchants, then the interest off the customer if they dont pay off the card every month, its not a bad gig for the banks.

windsong Jun 2nd 2013 12:34 pm

Hello everyone!! :D

It was suggested to me that I put a note here of my good news because I forgot that some people only visit this thread and none of the others ;)

I AM A GOING HOME!!!

I started a new thread to tell all about it last Sunday :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798156

aries Jun 2nd 2013 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10735773)
I prefer to use cash except when buying gas/petrol, its easy to track for business use, plus I get a discount.

My wife went into the post office the other day, the lady behind the counter said they couldn't accept a Credit card as the machine was down, fortunatly we use cash, the lady said many people use a CC to buy one stamp, that just sounds crazy to me.

People moan that the banks have too much power but then use credit /debit cards to make them more wealthy and more powerful, getting 3% of every dollar/pound spent from merchants, then the interest off the customer if they dont pay off the card every month, its not a bad gig for the banks.

I'm another one who prefers to use cash except for bigger purchases. It astonishes me that some people use cards to buy very little, taking excessive time at a checkout. Added to this they are asked if they would like any cash!

between two worlds Jun 2nd 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10736782)
Hello everyone!! :D

It was suggested to me that I put a note here of my good news because I forgot that some people only visit this thread and none of the others ;)

I AM A GOING HOME!!!

I started a new thread to tell all about it last Sunday :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798156

Such great news! As I said over on your new thread, I came upon it by chance and was SO happy to read it....

windsong Jun 2nd 2013 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10736907)
Such great news! As I said over on your new thread, I came upon it by chance and was SO happy to read it....

Thank you, Between Two Worlds. :) I am very glad you mentioned putting a note here, too. :)