British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 May 16th 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10709333)

One neighbour recently was making comments about needing decorating done, but I'm currently off decorating, used to be and still am good, too particular though, takes a long time, and had enough of it doing out the whole of our US house for sale (worked though, had sale contract within 24 hours).
Re: any kind of work (other than around my own house) I am really liking being retired and being free of work commitments.

Anyway, my new hobby is curiosity for learning the violin - although I can only do that when wife and cat are out the house !! So far, I am a better handyman than violinist but if you don't try then you never know, right?

Hi John & June,
I have never been any good at handyman work around the house, as Ive always lived in rental accommodation all my life, never learned!!! but Ive always envied people who are good at fixing things, and doing there own work around the house, now Im back home I will have to learn to do stuff, and I have to learn

a lot cause at the moment anything more then screwing in a light bulb is beyond me :eek:
I have always loved violin music, I used to live with a professional violinist in Reno, she practiced 6 hours every day, and my Mum and Dad came to stay with us way back in the late 1970's for a month, and Catherine's practising would send me Mum crazy :eek: I loved it though :D

cheers May 16th 2013 1:52 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-friendly.html

Here is a map that shows where in England property prices are either high or low.

aries May 16th 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10711006)
Hi John & June,
I have never been any good at handyman work around the house, as Ive always lived in rental accommodation all my life, never learned!!! but Ive always envied people who are good at fixing things, and doing there own work around the house, now Im back home I will have to learn to do stuff, and I have to learn
a lot cause at the moment anything more then screwing in a light bulb is beyond me :eek :D

Many years ago I would have been surprised by this, but not after an experience when I lived in Melbourne. I was up a ladder and asked a friend to hold onto my electric drill, but I was astonished when his finger accidentally switched on the unit and he dropped it in surprise, the drill bit digging a hole in the padding of a stool. His defence was that he had never held a drill in his life, yet he was aged in his forties. :ohmy:

aries May 16th 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10709966)
Aries..How are you feeling. I forget if you left family back in Oz. I think if your health improved things would get better for you. My best wishes to you, I would exchange with you even with all the rain you get. Just to do those little things that so many of you take for granted. The buses the places to visit I do hope you are soon able to do more. Health is such a bummer at times. Without health things can be so difficult. I understand that. Bless you and keep trying......:)

At the moment I am in the recovery room at Torbay Hospital following an angiogram. Some air has just been released from a pressure band on my wrist, and every 10 minutes or so it will be reduced even more. Apparently recovery is quicker than accessing via the big femoral artery in the groin. I had that procedure in 2006 at an Adelaide hospital, and suffered problems in recovery. Things are better than expected which is a relief.

Yes, I still have two sisters and their families back in Oz, my parents having died there in 1977 and 2008.

I'm not so sure about enjoying all the rain back in Britain, it gets irritating and depressing after a while. With last year's bad summer I feel that I've suffered three winters one after the other :thumbdown: At least when the rain stops I can go out for walks, not something I would normally do during summer in Adelaide.

between two worlds May 16th 2013 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10711090)
At the moment I am in the recovery room at Torbay Hospital following an angiogram. Some air has just been released from a pressure band on my wrist, and every 10 minutes or so it will be reduced even more. Apparently recovery is quicker than accessing via the big femoral artery in the groin. I had that procedure in 2006 at an Adelaide hospital, and suffered problems in recovery. Things are better than expected which is a relief.

Yes, I still have two sisters and their families back in Oz, my parents having died there in 1977 and 2008.

I'm not so sure about enjoying all the rain back in Britain, it gets irritating and depressing after a while. With last year's bad summer I feel that I've suffered three winters one after the other :thumbdown: At least when the rain stops I can go out for walks, not something I would normally do during summer in Adelaide.

Goodness, aries--all best for your recovery! This wrist thing sounds clever, I've only ever heard of the femoral artery way of doing an angiogram.

Anyway, really glad to hear things are better than expected.

dunroving May 16th 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10711071)
Many years ago I would have been surprised by this, but not after an experience when I lived in Melbourne. I was up a ladder and asked a friend to hold onto my electric drill, but I was astonished when his finger accidentally switched on the unit and he dropped it in surprise, the drill bit digging a hole in the padding of a stool. His defence was that he had never held a drill in his life, yet he was aged in his forties. :ohmy:

I heard a similar story from someone who lived in the States, except it was a gun, not a drill. ;)

Irish Guinness May 17th 2013 6:34 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10711090)

Hope that you are on the mend soon,and the weather improves.I live in Adelaide and to be honest when it rained this week I could have cried,it's been months without rain here :D

aries May 17th 2013 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness (Post 10711982)
Hope that you are on the mend soon,and the weather improves.I live in Adelaide and to be honest when it rained this week I could have cried,it's been months without rain here :D

Perhaps we can swap some weather? However at least the sun is shining this morning on my bed, though what the temperature is I have no idea.

Someone came earlier to ask what I would like for breakfast, so I said eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato and baked beans on toast. I was offered a choice of cereals and toast! I suppose in a cardiac ward a full English breakfast would be frowned upon. :eek:

Mummy in the foothills May 17th 2013 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10712082)
Perhaps we can swap some weather? However at least the sun is shining this morning on my bed, though what the temperature is I have no idea.

Someone came earlier to ask what I would like for breakfast, so I said eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato and baked beans on toast. I was offered a choice of cereals and toast! I suppose in a cardiac ward a full English breakfast would be frowned upon. :eek:

:lol: I can just see their faces, you asking for a full English on the cardiac unit. I bet they thought you were joking.
It'll be weetabix and skim milk there.

cheers May 17th 2013 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10712552)
:lol: I can just see their faces, you asking for a full English on the cardiac unit. I bet they thought you were joking.
It'll be weetabix and skim milk there.

What's the story on Weetabix. Recently I read they had been sold to another foreign country or something. Correction, they said due to the shortage of wheat there was going to be a shortage of Weetabix.

Cheers

cheers May 17th 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10712082)

I would have added 'blackpudding'

When are you getting out of there?

Cheers

between two worlds May 17th 2013 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10712599)
What's the story on Weetabix. Recently I read they had been sold to another foreign country or something. Correction, they said due to the shortage of wheat there was going to be a shortage of Weetabix.

Cheers

Just from memory, I think it is both.

I think it has been sold to a Chinese company BUT one which apparently really wants to keep the British aspect of it, and all the tradition. So much so that they are committed to using only British wheat. When, as this year apparently, the wheat harvest isn't great, they can't make as much Weetabix.

But this isn't official, just what I think I recall reading.

Celticspirit May 20th 2013 2:09 am

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10712641)
Just from memory, I think it is both.

I think it has been sold to a Chinese company BUT one which apparently really wants to keep the British aspect of it, and all the tradition. So much so that they are committed to using only British wheat. When, as this year apparently, the wheat harvest isn't great, they can't make as much Weetabix.

But this isn't official, just what I think I recall reading.

Maybe they will add melamine to make up the wheat deficit :-(

Just got back from NY, NY where my only daughter was married yesterday. Fabulous ceremony at Collegiate Middle Church and reception at The Library at The Public Theatre and Joe's Pub in East Village. Amazing venues.

aries May 20th 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10712601)
I would have added 'blackpudding'

When are you getting out of there?

Cheers

I don't like the sound of black pudding, and in fact rarely have a cooked breakfast except if I stay in a British hotel. I even get put off by the cold meats, cheese selections and hard boiled eggs for breakfast when I'm in Germany, I stick to cereals and fruit. With my flat in Ladenburg I didn't have the patience to do much for breakfast, but I couldn't find decent bacon anyway.

I'm back home from hospital and am waiting for a cleaner to come. It amazes me that she is so energetic and efficient, and also has a second job which she described as "in entertainment at a hotel."

Perth May 20th 2013 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10715706)
Maybe they will add melamine to make up the wheat deficit :-(

Just got back from NY, NY where my only daughter was married yesterday. Fabulous ceremony at Collegiate Middle Church and reception at The Library at The Public Theatre and Joe's Pub in East Village. Amazing venues.

Congratulations :thumbsup: