Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 12th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Public transport is high on our priority list for places to live. DW doesn't want to drive in UK, although she did daily for work commute in US. We have a car for convenience where buses don't go but use it only once or twice a week.

By our house in the suburbs there are daytime buses every 20 mins to town, evening buses too, and from there numerous options to other places, city or countryside, by bus or train.
As much as I like the countryside and can imaging living the rural life and can afford to, it would mean total reliance on a car and I don't want that.

Yesterday we went into deepest Norfolk by bus, did a 3 mile one direction walk through woods carpeted by bluebells and wild orchids, emerged the other end for a pub lunch and picked up the return bus at a different stop. By car there would have been traffic to deal with, less freedom of walking route and probably only two halves of beer instead of two pints, the compromise being the need to stick to a bus schedule and take longer on the journey and I can live with that.
John.

I love to hear about your little walks that usually finish up with a pub lunch or at least a drink, I'm not much of a drinker still the pub and its social side really is something I still miss after all these years...

I'm very much a car person and would find it difficult to give up 4 wheels, but lately I really fancy a country walk or bike ride, I really think I would make it a regular part of my life in the UK...

Love the Bluebells too, we have some in our garden.

Thanks for posting.
Old May 12th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
John.

I love to hear about your little walks that usually finish up with a pub lunch or at least a drink, I'm not much of a drinker still the pub and its social side really is something I still miss after all these years...

I'm very much a car person and would find it difficult to give up 4 wheels, but lately I really fancy a country walk or bike ride, I really think I would make it a regular part of my life in the UK...

Love the Bluebells too, we have some in our garden.

Thanks for posting.
Glad it cheers you Fish. It does me the world of good to have these little adventures.

No, I'm not much of a drinker either, I do enjoy proper british ale, 2 pints usually, 3 sometimes, and usually only twice a week on our eat-out lunches. Nor do I go for the the loud groups of boozers and buying rounds. There are couple of my local pubs where I know I can get a one-to-one chat at the bar if I need to.

Yesterday, it was entertaining being a people watcher in the pub. These were proper original Norfolk country folks and very entertaining to peep into their lives. (where I live the Norfolk folk are hidden by the incomers from both ends of London.)

The ready availability of buses near us makes it easy to leave the car at home. Planning the walks around bus times and pubs makes for satisfying trips, like a little project - I'm an organizer at heart.

There seems to be profusion of wild flowers this season. The dandelions are showing well on the roadsides.

Last edited by J.JsOH; May 12th 2013 at 9:11 pm.
Old May 12th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Same here! Top of the list as a matter of fact. OH rather likes driving but as he is getting older he's not adverse to giving it up. We can always rent for the occasional trip somewhere. I, on the other hand, don't like driving at all, and by the sounds of the traffic over there, it seems like an unnecessary frustration. It does make it difficult to pin down a place to live though...

Your walk in the woods sounds absolutely delightful, and something I am very much looking forward to. Yesterday, I was having a bit of cabin fever from being home all day the day before with a nasty cold. I had the urge to just go for a lovely walk - but this is Florida,and it was 85F, with similar humidity, and flocks of love bugs in the air. I gave up on the idea altogether, as the thought of walking in the mall instead was not in the least appealing
There is no match for a walk in the UK countryside, walk in the US yes but not like these. The woods yesterday are reputed to be the origin (one of many places) of Babes in the Wood story.

Public transport can take about 50%-100% longer than driving, door to door. Locally not a problem, not so bad by train to city centers and airports, but we drive if we go see friends in another part of country where train - bus connections would really make for long days traveling.

Last edited by J.JsOH; May 12th 2013 at 9:16 pm.
Old May 13th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Today's fun.

Post Office Online saver account.
I have one of these, just a savings account operated solely online. So today I wanted to take my ££'s out, right, just click on the link to transfer to another bank account. Yeah, right, Error, "sorry this operation cannot be completed" A few more tries, gave up called Help line. After 10 mins on hold a premium priced phone number the response was "oh, must be a computer glich, I'll put a work notice into IT. But I want my money!!. Oh Ok, I will do that here and it will be actioned in a few days." Oh, OK, I guess I didn't really want to use the instant benefits of online banking after all. Unrealistic expectation on my part I suppose.

Hozelock pressure washer.
Bought it last year, worked OK a couple times when I needed it. Went to use it today, dead!!. After 3 premium price phone calls to help centre (3 got through, 6 others I waited 5 mins for someone to pick up) After a few silly simple suggestions and four hours of water on/off, power on/off, letting water run, holding my tongue out to left instead of right, came an offer that if I can get it to their site 100 miles away then they would check it for £40 and I then only have to pay for it be shipped back. Of course, the warranty is 2 weeks out of date.
Conclusion, it's a piece of rubbish. I will strip it down, see if I can find anything fixable and if not then into the bin it goes and Hozelock products won't be in this house ever again. (Oh can't put it in bin, has to be taken to Recycling Centre) Unrealistic expectations on my part I suppose.
Old May 13th 2013, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Today's fun.

Post Office Online saver account.
I have one of these, just a savings account operated solely online. So today I wanted to take my ££'s out, right, just click on the link to transfer to another bank account. Yeah, right, Error, "sorry this operation cannot be completed" A few more tries, gave up called Help line. After 10 mins on hold a premium priced phone number the response was "oh, must be a computer glich, I'll put a work notice into IT. But I want my money!!. Oh Ok, I will do that here and it will be actioned in a few days." Oh, OK, I guess I didn't really want to use the instant benefits of online banking after all. Unrealistic expectation on my part I suppose.

Hozelock pressure washer.
Bought it last year, worked OK a couple times when I needed it. Went to use it today, dead!!. After 3 premium price phone calls to help centre (3 got through, 6 others I waited 5 mins for someone to pick up) After a few silly simple suggestions and four hours of water on/off, power on/off, letting water run, holding my tongue out to left instead of right, came an offer that if I can get it to their site 100 miles away then they would check it for £40 and I then only have to pay for it be shipped back. Of course, the warranty is 2 weeks out of date.
Conclusion, it's a piece of rubbish. I will strip it down, see if I can find anything fixable and if not then into the bin it goes and Hozelock products won't be in this house ever again. (Oh can't put it in bin, has to be taken to Recycling Centre) Unrealistic expectations on my part I suppose.
Update;
Ha, although the power washer was designed not to be disassembled I made a tool to get the screws out, inside I found an electro/pressure switch with the actuator pin seized in extended position, a firm push and it was back in, cover screwed back on and the thing is back up and working . 30 minutes in all. Would have cost me £40 +p&p for 10 mins work on their part since they would have right tools and know what to look for. So now I can celebrate having a free machine since if I hadn't looked inside I would have junked it and was facing £100 for a new one.
Old May 13th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Update;
Ha, although the power washer was designed not to be disassembled I made a tool to get the screws out, inside I found an electro/pressure switch with the actuator pin seized in extended position, a firm push and it was back in, cover screwed back on and the thing is back up and working . 30 minutes in all. Would have cost me £40 +p&p for 10 mins work on their part since they would have right tools and know what to look for. So now I can celebrate having a free machine since if I hadn't looked inside I would have junked it and was facing £100 for a new one.
Have you thought about being the neighbourhood handy man? Would keep you busy and looks like you could make a good few quid
Old May 13th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Update;
Brilliant !!!
Old May 13th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Update;
John thats fantastic, great Job done, I'm a little curious on how you made the tool to get the screws out, perthhomeschool's Idea of the handy man sounds a good idea, it looks like your good at fixing things, it would be a good little hobby for you.
Old May 13th 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Today's fun.

After 10 mins on hold a premium priced phone number the response was

After 3 premium price phone calls to help centre (3 got through, 6 others I waited 5 mins for someone to pick up)
Do you know about this website where you can look up alternatives to the premium numbers? Often the owner has a regular number that can be used, no fee involved: http://www.saynoto0870.com/
Old May 15th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasper123
John thats fantastic, great Job done, I'm a little curious on how you made the tool to get the screws out, perthhomeschool's Idea of the handy man sounds a good idea, it looks like your good at fixing things, it would be a good little hobby for you.
The screws are recessed deeper than my long screwdriver, well all except one where I could see the head slots are not a standard slot or cross. I happened to have a steel rod with enough length and I filed a tip onto it that fitted the screw head, then with grips on the rod I was able to get them all out.

Good thought, I would take on employment as a handyman but am leery of doing it as self-employed :concerned about being licensed and insured, knowledge of all equipment.
I fix stuff by discovery and intuition, rather than by product knowledge, I'm probably better and more conscientious than all the other handymen I see advertising (especially some of those I used) but my conscientiousness restrains me from fooling about with other peoples stuff and potentially not having an answer or even worse, breaking the thing beyond hope of repair.
Sure, I would help a neighbour but only on friendly basis so they don't sue me if I ruin the thing.
One neighbour recently was making comments about needing decorating done, but I'm currently off decorating, used to be and still am good, too particular though, takes a long time, and had enough of it doing out the whole of our US house for sale (worked though, had sale contract within 24 hours).
Re: any kind of work (other than around my own house) I am really liking being retired and being free of work commitments.

Anyway, my new hobby is curiosity for learning the violin - although I can only do that when wife and cat are out the house !! So far, I am a better handyman than violinist but if you don't try then you never know, right?

Last edited by J.JsOH; May 15th 2013 at 4:10 pm.
Old May 15th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Do you know about this website where you can look up alternatives to the premium numbers? Often the owner has a regular number that can be used, no fee involved: http://www.saynoto0870.com/
Thanks, yes, it is often a good source but there were no alternatives to the help(?) desk I had to call.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

The screws are recessed deeper than my long screwdriver, well all except one where I could see the head slots are not a standard slot or cross. I happened to have a steel rod with enough length and I filed a tip onto it that fitted the screw head, then with grips on the rod I was able to get them all out.

Good thought, I would take on employment as a handyman but am leery of doing it as self-employed :concerned about being licensed and insured, knowledge of all equipment.
I fix stuff by discovery and intuition, rather than by product knowledge, I'm probably better and more conscientious than all the other handymen I see advertising (especially some of those I used) but my conscientiousness restrains me from fooling about with other peoples stuff and potentially not having an answer or even worse, breaking the thing beyond hope of repair.
Sure, I would help a neighbour but only on friendly basis so they don't sue me if I ruin the thing.
One neighbour recently was making comments about needing decorating done, but I'm currently off decorating, used to be and still am good, too particular though, takes a long time, and had enough of it doing out the whole of our US house for sale (worked though, had sale contract within 24 hours).
Re: any kind of work (other than around my own house) I am really liking being retired and being free of work commitments.

Anyway, my new hobby is curiosity for learning the violin - although I can only do that when wife and cat are out the house !! So far, I am a better handyman than violinist but if you don't try then you never know, right?
Good on you learning the violin. Music will be soothing to you in your times of frustration. Maybe the cats will sing along

We may be headed to Norfolk after all for a look around when we do actually get that planned OH has found a concertina folk club (or some such) and I have been looking at photos of the Broads. I may have found heaven
Old May 15th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a new website for cheaper calls worldwide, including numbers in the UK - landline and mobile, plus - and this is a biggie - cheaper usage of the 0845 premium numbers: http://www.discountdial.co.uk/index2.php

I used it today to call an 0845 number - it cost me 4p per minute instead of 10p. Cheaper times too, but they are on weekends or at earlier times as per their blurb:

* BT charges to 0845 local rate:
Local rate: Sa-Su: 1p per minute
Mo-Fr 6pm/8am: 1p per minute
Mo-Fr 8am/6pm: 3.95p per minute

Old May 16th 2013, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....My mouth was watering when you described the pork bap....I was walking around with you. The Strawberries nothing like them. They were always so sweet and juicy and with a dollop of cream on top

I cannot believe its been two and a half years since your return. Its seems only like yesterday. You stuck it out and perceviered and got through the little patches of uncerntainty and look at you now. Well and truly established and no going back. A true winner Give your Mum my best wishes. That is the icing on top of the cake having all this time with her. Those are memories to keep.

I agree about the money those who dont have alot of years to save up just pack up and make the best of it and think small dont try and compare to what you had. But if you are planning ahead then start saving and getting ready. Its comes faster than you think.
Old May 16th 2013, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Aries..How are you feeling. I forget if you left family back in Oz. I think if your health improved things would get better for you. My best wishes to you, I would exchange with you even with all the rain you get. Just to do those little things that so many of you take for granted. The buses the places to visit I do hope you are soon able to do more. Health is such a bummer at times. Without health things can be so difficult. I understand that. Bless you and keep trying......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.