British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers May 4th 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Mary Kay (Post 10691790)
My childhood was certainly different. I've been to many places, seen wonderful sights, and met many incredible people along the way. Being sent to boarding school at such a young age, ( 3 and a half) with just a handshake from my parents and a request 'to be a good girl', has resulted in me being fiercely independent - sometimes to my own detriment ! I do believe my parents loved me, I certainly never wanted for anything .... they were just uncomfortable with words like 'love', and hugs and kisses .... to the end of their days.

I'm really sad that parents could do such a thing. How cruel. I don't want to think about it. I'm glad that you can defend them.

Now I'm off to find Port Elizabeth on de map.:)

cheers May 4th 2013 3:58 pm

I thought this was funny. Maybe not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ess-class.html

Cheers

Pollyana May 4th 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10691871)
I thought this was funny. Maybe not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ess-class.html

Cheers

Leaving one air hostess in the cockpit with one pilot while the other takes a toilet break (for instance) is fine. Leaving two non-pilot trained crew in there alone is plain dangerous. Incidents arise in split seconds, its a horrifying breach of air safety.

Mary Kay May 4th 2013 4:08 pm

So funny !!!

I'm not sure which statement is worse ........

pilot and co-pilot going to sleep ..... or knocking the auto pilot button off while distracted by ????

Mary Kay May 4th 2013 6:35 pm

I hope I'm not going on too long here ..... I just want you to see where I'm coming from .....

The Company my husband worked for had changed from a Pension Fund to a Provident Fund a few years before he was medically boarded at 62, and we only discovered then that he would lose 2 years salary by doing so ..... a substantial amount as he was management. Still, we knew we would cope, as he had worked in Holland for 12 years before leaving for South Africa, and the Dutch Consul in Cape Town had told us that he could either buy the remaining 13 years for a full pension, or leave things as they were, and qualify for almost half the pension amount when we returned there.

So what did we do ? We bought a secondhand motor home and toured the whole South African coastline, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Zambia ..... and came home 5 months later to begin packing for Holland.

Sudden heart problems - operation.

Flash forward ..... I invested the lump sum left to me in the money market, getting up to 25% interest sometimes !! I had a bond free house for the rest of my lifetime (ultimately left to my husband's adopted son, from a previous marriage, and my daughter who was 14 when we got married).

I am not extravagant by nature (good Scottish blood I suspect) so I was able to save enough in two years, to take a long holiday visiting family in Holland, going to Greece with my expat friend who lives in Warrington, and staying with other friends who live just outside Henley .... that's the last time I was in the U.K.

On return, I was advised to place the lump sum in a 'safe' investment for 5 years and live off the interest. This went fine for 3 years, and then the 'safe' place was taken over by another 'not so safe' place ..... anyway, long story short .... and the end of 5 years, my money was frozen for another 5 years due to illegal practices and law suits ..... and at the end, I was paid out just over a quarter of what I had invested 10 years before ! ...........

Savings gone ....
Income now R1900 a month ..... Medical Aid R1000 a month ... Rates R350, Electricity R200 ..... Water .... Insurance ... Petrol .... Food ... no job in sight ... what to do ? What to do ?

I am so grateful that I was blessed with 'gifted hands' ... I managed to keep the wolf from the door by doing fabric and silk painting/sewing/making whisky marmalade/typing/etc. etc ..... but with no money for maintenance, the house was looking shabbier by the month. I tried renting out 2 of the 3 bedrooms .... it would take 10 pages to tell you about the weirdos out there.

By now, my children were married and lived all over the country .... they worried about me living in Gonubie (a small seaside town just outside East London) by myself. (Cheers, google 41 Boundry Road) .... I loved the house, on a small dirt road, a stream in front, neighbours on both sides and behind .... and a family of monkeys who lived at the bottom of the garden for years, the babies used to run in and out of the garage when I was painting there ....

Strangely enough, security did'nt bother me then (ten years ago) .... I had 3 big dogs who slept inside at night. If I came home late, in the pitch dark, and saw them all relaxed on the verandah, I felt fine to get out of the car and open the gate ..... listening to the monkeys making moaning clicks because I had woken them up !!!

Then my eldest son moved from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, where my daughter already lived, and between the two of them, they persuaded me to make the move there, for financial reasons as well as security ...... biggest mistake of my life !!!

I have good kids, they do try .... but, they have busy lives, children of their own, jobs, school sports etc ..... I understand, I was them once ....... It's not their fault ......I hate Port Elizabeth .... there, I've said it ! It is VERY Afrikaanse (I don't know if you will understand what I'm saying here) and VERY religious, not that I'm a heathen, but apparently, if you want friends your own age, you go to church and hug ! Or you go to the Singles Club down the road and stand in a queue, while the men whip you off, one by one, and twirl you off, once round the dance floor ..... it's called the bus stop apparently !

The only intelligent conversation I've had for years is when friends from Gonubie, or expat friends from U.K. come for holidays.

Plus I am so broke I don't know what to do next .......

I will continue later ..... feel like I've written a book !!!

cheers May 4th 2013 6:47 pm

South Africa scares me from what I've heard about it.
I think I would like Kenya because the natives are very different there. I know there were troubles there but I seen some of the natives and they seem like some of the finest people in the world. What do I know?

Cheers

Mary Kay May 4th 2013 8:43 pm

South Africa is the most beautiful country Cheers ..... but, we are sitting on the edge of an Arab Spring here .... and it will happen sooner than later.

Final part of my story ..... I have R150,000 left of my capital now, I've used R50,000 in the last 2 years to supplement my income which is R1.200 from renting out my garage as an office, and R1000 from interest on the capital amount ..... in total: R2,200 ( the exchange rate is approx. R14 to £1) .... plus my children give me R2,500 a month, so I can manage ..... but I can't manage anymore ..... and I won't /can't ask them for more.

I have a heart issue now, I've dropped to a Hospicare only,plan on my medical aid, that costs R700 a month, it pays for the time I'm in hospital, but not for the emergency room where they admit you ... R2,500 a time .... I can't take a chance, and depend on government hospitals ... once state of the art facilities, now rat infested, broken windows, no bedding etc. etc.

Prices increase every year, but my income remains static ... thankfully, my son pays for internet !

So I've come to a crossroads, I, unlike so many other white people here, have a choice .....

Do I return to U.K. (with my small dog!), while I still have money to pay for the trip, leave my children and grandchildren behind, leave this land that I love, to come back to what ?

I read the comments on the threads here, and I'm hesitant, what did I ever do for Britain ? .... The Gov. depts. I've contacted tell me all I will qualify for is benefits .... I need to know can I live on whatever I'll get ?

OR .... do I rent out my house here, and move into the white squatter camp 5 miles away, to get extra income ? (my children would freak out if they knew I was considering this .... but I am).

So please give me some advice/imput/figures here, so I can choose. :amen:

islandwoman120 May 4th 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mary Kay (Post 10692122)
South Africa is the most beautiful country Cheers ..... but, we are sitting on the edge of an Arab Spring here .... and it will happen sooner than later.

Final part of my story ..... I have R150,000 left of my capital now, I've used R50,000 in the last 2 years to supplement my income which is R1.200 from renting out my garage as an office, and R1000 from interest on the capital amount ..... in total: R2,200 ( the exchange rate is approx. R14 to £1) .... plus my children give me R2,500 a month, so I can manage ..... but I can't manage anymore ..... and I won't /can't ask them for more.

I have a heart issue now, I've dropped to a Hospicare only,plan on my medical aid, that costs R700 a month, it pays for the time I'm in hospital, but not for the emergency room where they admit you ... R2,500 a time .... I can't take a chance, and depend on government hospitals ... once state of the art facilities, now rat infested, broken windows, no bedding etc. etc.

Prices increase every year, but my income remains static ... thankfully, my son pays for internet !

So I've come to a crossroads, I, unlike so many other white people here, have a choice .....

Do I return to U.K. (with my small dog!), while I still have money to pay for the trip, leave my children and grandchildren behind, leave this land that I love, to come back to what ?

I read the comments on the threads here, and I'm hesitant, what did I ever do for Britain ? .... The Gov. depts. I've contacted tell me all I will qualify for is benefits .... I need to know can I live on whatever I'll get ?

OR .... do I rent out my house here, and move into the white squatter camp 5 miles away, to get extra income ? (my children would freak out if they knew I was considering this .... but I am).

What a confusing story and a situation to be sorted out. I can only give advice from my personal experience: benefits vary depending on need, and some are means tested. Once you are 60 yrs you qualify for a free bus pass (don't knock it - it saves a boat load of money on a daily basis, plus gives you the ability to move around freely and cheaply within England). So if your only experience of a bus is in Africa, please realise this is a different situation - most people make use of the pass regularly. Medical care is free at point of service, though if you are not eligible to be a permanent resident here, it is chargeable - fees vary depending on the service received, and though not as high as in the US, it is still expensive. Housing benefit is capped at £400+ (not sure of the actual figure now) per month unless you are in a Housing Association, when it is a different rate - pays for rent plus support costs, so is a good deal to get if you need housing costs to be paid for. UK pension varies - if you are eligible then claim it. For every year that it is unclaimed past your 60th birthday (for women) you get a lump sum when you do finally claim. Or you can have the lump sum paid out over the lifetime of the pension - I would take the lump sum, as it is useful to have a large amount in one fell swoop. If your monthly state pension is less than the amount fixed by the state, then you claim Pension Credit, which makes up the difference. this also gives you access to other benefits, such as free sight test, and a discount on eyeglasses, and free dental care (all care needed, including crowns). Each case is unique, so you would have to claim once in the Uk and then have an interview with Pension Credit people (they come to your house) if that is the way you need to go. The entire process takes about 3 - 4 months from start to finish, so you need private funds to support yourself in the interim. And you need a UK address for documents to be sent to, and your interview to take place at. If you get a UK passport, that will be brought to your residence by courier and handed over upon your signature.
Age UK are a very helpful organisation to contact - they helped me immensely when I was first here and very confused as to benefits - coming from the US I was not accustomed to the language, the variety of programs and was totally at a loss. They helped me with forms, and directed me to the correct government departments. Hope some of that helps.

windsong May 4th 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mary Kay (Post 10692122)

Mary Kay, I would be already looking at flights over for you and doggie!!! Be sure to check out the various threads about taking your dog over because there are expensive and LESS expensive ways to do it. It is entirely doable :D

cheers May 4th 2013 10:50 pm

You mention leaving your family there......well you may see them more often if you have a place for them to stay when they come to England to visit.

I have seen pictures or videos of the South African white squatters encampments, not pretty. Its looks like London slums in the 1920's. You had better get out of there!

Bottom line is you are going downhill fast financially, where you are, so you had better escape while there is time. I am bias so beware.

Perth May 5th 2013 1:55 am

Mary Kay, first welcome to the best support network on the internet! I lived in Swaziland for a year with OH on a contract job in agriculture, so know it well. We used to go into Nelspruit (sp?) every weekend to shop at M&S amongst other things. I agree that you should seriously consider going to the UK. You will have healthcare and other assistance. I know it will be hard to leave your family, but you must do what is best for you. At present it sounds like you may soon be attempting something unhealthy if not dangerous to your well being. That is not something your family would like to see happen, I am sure. If they are doing well where they are, they can come and visit you in the UK whenever they can. Meanwhile, you will be safe and secure in your future making a life back home.

trottytrue May 5th 2013 1:59 am

windsong.....I think If I had posted the whole article on cats you would have seen that they emphasized not being cruel to cats and all the different types of remedies are cat safe. There is nothing more annoying that to be weeding your garden and coming upon a load of cat poop. It is not the cats fault its the owners. But Its not healthy for humans and I think there should be as many restrictions on cats as there are on dogs. When I take my dog for a walk I take a poop bag and never leave anything behind. Unfortunately not every other dog owners does the same.

Mary Kay.....I think if you sat your children down and explained the situation to them they would understand. I think you should at least try the UK many of our forum friends have gone home with almost nothing but they have managed. You must be entitled to some sort of British pension and you would get Health care immediately you would just have to find a place to rent and get your dog home. I really think that if it were a choice between moving back to the UK or moving into the white squatter camp I know what I would be choosing.

I am not sure you are convinced you want to go back so I think you need to sit down and write a list of the pro's and con's of staying or leaving. I think if you stay there has to be another way rather than the camp. As for your children and grandchildren they are wonderful but they all have their own lives and they are busy so you have to make a life of your own.

Whatever you decide now is the time to do it or it will be too late. The older we get the more health problems we get. If you decide to go back to the UK make sure you move to an area which is know for good healthcare all areas are not equal.

trottytrue May 5th 2013 2:06 am

islandwoman120..Loved the Morris Dancers and that is one beautiful Black Swan. I am glad you are enjoying your new home and I hope you make some friends soon. Summer is almost here so that may help.

between two worlds May 5th 2013 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Mary Kay (Post 10691079)
Well, I'm finally finished reading the entire thread started by Trottytrue so long ago ...... I feel like I have known you all for years now!

I was born in 1943, in Aberfeldy, where my Father's family were from (MacGregors). My Mother came from Orkney.

After the war, my Father joined the Colonial Civil Service, and we left for Ceylon, where he worked on a building a dam. We lived in a place called Norton Bridge, at the foot of Adam's Peak. I was sent to boarding school in Columbo just before I turned 4 !!!

Because he was overseas staff, he had 6 months leave every 3 years, so my mother and I, left 3 months before him, and returned 3 months after him, so that I could get a full year at school in Kirkwall. This carried on until I was 12, (the last time I was in Scotland!).

From Ceylon, we went to Nyasaland (now Malawi) for 2 years, and from there to Rhodesia for the building of Kariba Dam. I was at boarding school in Salisbury (now Harare) until I was 18 ( they still had the Cambridge System there, O levels and A levels.).

I married a South African, and my two eldest children ( I have 4 ), were born there. My husband was transferred to Cape Town in 1969, and from there to East London, where my two younger children were born.

I got divorced in 1978, and was a single parent for 10 years, before marrying a Hollander in 1988 - we traveled to Holland every year to see his family, and once went over to England for a week - it felt like I had slipped on a pair of old comfy slippers ! It felt like home, how do I explain that ? I can't ...........

My husband took early retirement at 63, due to ill health, and we were preparing to return to Holland - then the wheels fell off, and he needed heart surgery. The operation was very successful, but 3 weeks later, while at home, he had a lung embolism and died. This was in 1996.

I just want to say that I do understand where you all are coming from.

I will write more tomorrow and tell you my particular problem ..... I just wanted to give you a picture of where I'm coming from.

Go Well.

Welcome, Mary Kay! Amazing that you have read our whole thread or threads...what stamina!

What a story you've had.....I had to read your post a few times to understand where you are now--still in South Africa in a place called East London? (As in my ignorance I hadn't heard of it, I though you meant East London in the "real" London UK, so was very confused!)

So sorry about what happened with your husband.

Of course all of us on here understand that "warm cozy slippers" feeling you had when you wet over to England for that week....

Looking forward to reading your posts...

Tina

between two worlds May 5th 2013 6:09 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10691370)
Hi all - Mary Kay's posting prompted me to get on here again, plus a few people who write to me privately via email wondered if I was ever going to 'come home' to BE!

Update: I am in south Devon, in little Dawlish about 12 miles southwest of Exeter, on the rail link to places like Plymouth and Penzance, Cornwall. I am living in a one bedroom flat in a development with others of my age, so no wild parties to report (sorry) and no patter of little feet above my head, unless other residents have visiting grandchildren. I look out on an area of wild garden belonging to the neighbouring Nursing Home, and have bird feeders and planters set out for my enjoyment. I join in keeping our garden and flower borders tidy, as three of us agreed to do the gardening and the management then fired the contract gardener who was not dong things the way we wanted. I have been lonely from time to time, as it has taken a long while to make friends - I left a few good friends behind when I moved away from Frome last May. However, they do come down and stay here in our guest suite, and we email and phone - but it not the same as meeting up for coffee on a regular basis.

I help out at a local drop in center held in the Methodist Church, called Open Daw, where various community groups set up their stand for a day each month, so there is a constant stream of people with something to say or offer. I help serve coffee and tea, as there are regulars who make it their port of call on a daily basis - so many lonely older people. Most of the people I do know locally are in the upper 80s age range - this is an area where the older demographic settles. The trade off is that I don't have any of the problems I encountered in Frome - no pub brawls, no filthy streets, no disturbed nights etc.

I have started to take the train to see the sights - locally at the moment, with plans for St. Ives to the Tate and Hepworth galleries, and then a London trip to the Fashion and Textiles Museum near London Bridge. As a result of the day trips, I have posted new photos on my Flickr site if you want to see Morris Dancers and boats in Brixham harbor, as well as the black swans on Dawlish Lawn.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7633303893425/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7633397699570/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7633397761532/.

I use my over 60s bus pass regularly - there is an excellent bus and train service from Dawlish, so it is possible to get to places like Exeter or Newton Abbott for a day out with minimal expense and the mainline train stops either here or up line at Exeter, or down line at Newton Abbott so travelling further afield is easy too. But we are far from the madding crowd, so the distance adds up in costs and time if you are venturing far afield to the 'grimy north' (step in here all those who live in Yorkshire or Lancashire or York or Chester - this was deliberately written to spark you!). No seriously - this is not nirvana obviously, but considering my living conditions prior to being here, it is quiet, somewhat boring, but peaceful.

I spent most of last year being ill - I thought of asking for a loyalty card at the medical Clinic! But after every test know to man or woman, all is clear and I am assuming that my body is unwinding after years of stressful living, in the US and in the UK in past years. I have never known peace, or fiscal sound living, since I was 18 yrs old, and it is nice to not have to worry about money - no I did not win the Lottery - just a state pension. regular money, careful budgeting, free at point of service medical care, free bus pass - all makes for a much more amenable lifestyle.

I get annoyed when people - who appear to have never travelled beyond the package holiday places such as Spain - knock the medical system. But I am learning to be British again (!) and ignore a lot of what I hear as it is basically said from ignorance. I am grateful for the care and service I have received, like the people I meet, and promise that I will take my camera out and about a lot this summer.

I have not caught up on all the postings on here and I know I won't read many previous, so wishing everyone on here who remembers me the very best.

Oh, as a sort of PS - I have a cat at last. A little black cat named Molly (though between us on here from the US I have renamed her Angela Davis, after the Black Panther woman from the 60s - who I met in Wisconsin and is a gracious lady if ever there were such a person) came into my life just when I felt I could offer a cat a home. So now I have scratched doors, toys on the floor and hairs in my food - and I am happier for them all!:)

Oh how wonderful to see you back again!

SO good to hear your update.

Dawlish (where my family went on holiday a couple of times, but it was after I'd left home and I didn't go, but I know they liked it) sounds lovely and you seem to have settled in so well. And you have a cat! Ah bless.

Sorry to hear you've been ill, but it's good to know the tests are all clear--as you say, maybe it's just a sort of unwinding after all that stress for all your adult life. So glad you are on an even fiscal keel now so that is no longer an issue.

Your mention of the problems of Frome vs the quieter life in a place with a majority of older people is food for thought....

Keep on keeping us posted!

Tina