Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 1st 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Between two worlds...I know cats are to blame for thousands of bird deaths but I blame the owners. My daughter has two cats and does not let them out. Over here they would probably get eaten by some animal. People will not learn. I love songbirds but those in the Uk have such beautiful voices. They sound so happy. Pesticides do more harm to nature and humans than anything else. The poor bee's are in decline because of them. When you read the warnings on rose sprays it tells you not to spray when bee's are around. Do I have some intena that tells me when they are due. Not only that I believe the sprays leave a residue on the flowers that the bee's and butterfly's injest. I would do away with them all including lawn fertilizers which are bad for children and dogs. I stopped using them quite a few years ago. So I have dandilions and buttercups who cares.
Same here - my cat doesn't go outside - too many diseases out there and she would probably get eaten by a coyote!! I don't want that to happen.
Old May 1st 2013, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I want to know from Donroving as to what his take is on Scottish Independence since he lives there. In listening to people in Scotland does he get the impression that the Scots will vote for independence?

Cheers
I am half Scottish (my mum was Scottish) and I think it is a ridiculous idea. I have two elderly aunties in Scotland and several cousins. They said they will all vote against it. My sister, on the other hand, will vote for it - she votes SNP. My sister is very different to me - we rarely talk about politics as it will almost always end up in an argument. I consider myself a liberal but my sister is so far left wing she is off the map.......................

I think it would be a mistake for Scotland to leave the Union. Not sure what Dunroving thinks - but I believe he is English so I doubt he would be for it.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I am half Scottish (my mum was Scottish) and I think it is a ridiculous idea. I have two elderly aunties in Scotland and several cousins. They said they will all vote against it. My sister, on the other hand, will vote for it - she votes SNP. My sister is very different to me - we rarely talk about politics as it will almost always end up in an argument. I consider myself a liberal but my sister is so far left wing she is off the map.......................

I think it would be a mistake for Scotland to leave the Union. Not sure what Dunroving thinks - but I believe he is English so I doubt he would be for it.
I wasn't asking his view but what he thinks people will do when they vote. Just to clarify.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; May 1st 2013 at 10:41 pm.
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Between two worlds...I know cats are to blame for thousands of bird deaths but I blame the owners. My daughter has two cats and does not let them out. Over here they would probably get eaten by some animal. People will not learn.
I love songbirds but those in the Uk have such beautiful voices. They sound so happy. Pesticides do more harm to nature and humans than anything else. The poor bee's are in decline because of them. When you read the warnings on rose sprays it tells you not to spray when bee's are around. Do I have some intena that tells me when they are due. Not only that I believe the sprays leave a residue on the flowers that the bee's and butterfly's injest. I would do away with them all including lawn fertilizers which are bad for children and dogs. I stopped using them quite a few years ago. So I have dandilions and buttercups who cares.
I so agree with you, trotty, about the pesticides and lawn fertilizers. Nothing wrong with the odd dandelion and buttercup, and anyway the quest for the perfect lawn is a vain one in many parts of the US...apparently the chemicals leach into the groundwater as well.

Our cat has always been an indoor cat, for her own safety as she's especially small and a rare breed, but also it does cut down on bird predation when you keep them in...many owners do consider this to be cruel, however, and I admit it's a life somewhat deprived of stimuli and natural activities like stalking....I guess one can put a bell on a cat's collar?
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I want to know from Donroving as to what his take is on Scottish Independence since he lives there. In listening to people in Scotland does he get the impression that the Scots will vote for independence?

Cheers
At the moment, no. But knowing Alex Salmond, I wouldn't bet against it by the time the referendum comes around. He seems pretty good at defying the odds.
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Between two worlds...I know cats are to blame for thousands of bird deaths but I blame the owners. My daughter has two cats and does not let them out. Over here they would probably get eaten by some animal. People will not learn.

I love songbirds but those in the Uk have such beautiful voices. They sound so happy. Pesticides do more harm to nature and humans than anything else. The poor bee's are in decline because of them. When you read the warnings on rose sprays it tells you not to spray when bee's are around. Do I have some intena that tells me when they are due. Not only that I believe the sprays leave a residue on the flowers that the bee's and butterfly's injest. I would do away with them all including lawn fertilizers which are bad for children and dogs. I stopped using them quite a few years ago. So I have dandilions and buttercups who cares.
I wish people around me would keep their cats inside. The half-dozen or so in the neighbourhood seem to use my garden exclusively as their toilet. It's disgusting.
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I wish people around me would keep their cats inside. The half-dozen or so in the neighbourhood seem to use my garden exclusively as their toilet. It's disgusting.
Oh I HATE that it ruined my enjoyment of my garden in Barnet.

But the owners are totally oblivious. One got annoyed and told her cat off endlessly when it 'went' in its own garden
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:02 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

One solution is to get a dog. I say that in jest as I know you might not want to do that at this point. I have recently taken to feeding the birds in the garden and I am really enjoying watching the different birds coming to feed. I thought to myself, why didn't I do this in Canada and then I realized that I had two terriers that did not take kindly to birds entering their airspace, let alone their garden. Needless to say my garden was a bird and cat free zone.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in Sandbach my husband built large sandbox for the children I think every cat in the neighbourhood used it. We had to cover it up when not in use. I often wonder how those people would feel if I let my dog go poop on thier lawns.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a super soaker and spray them with water, they'll soon get the message, (cat's not owners)
I've been chasing off a neighbors tom cat with water who has decided he wants in my garage lately
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

trotty, its so darn nice to see you on here again posting away, I love to see it,
Mum is so much better now, she has regained her strength, shes eating normally every day, she has a good appetite, she says Im a good cook

BIRDS ----- Oh yes Avril there are so many different species of birds in the U.K. and they all sing so beautifully, and you see them every day rain or shine, cold or warm, wherever you go, you may be in your back garden, or taking a nice walk in the country, I love to see the birds flying around and there lovely singing is glorious, and when I use my free bus pass and go down to the beach, 20 minutes from my house I see loads of seagulls and they have a sound all of there own,
a few months ago I e-mailed my friend in Vegas and told him of all the birds here, and I asked him does he notice any birds there? (as all the years I was living there in Vegas I never noticed any birds) ----- so anyway he e-mailed me back and said yes some birds come into my back yard and ruin all my vegetables that I grow, and he was ANGRY at the birds, ------ maybe the UK birds are happier and they have a better attitude to there lives and surroundings
Maybe its cause I'm retired too, maybe I am really slowing down and smelling the roses ----- like we old farts are supposed to do, and I'm now noticing (all) the living things on earth and all the wonderful nature rich in its own splendor, including all our lovely birds that I just took for granted before ----- all lost in all the hustle and bussel and pressures of every day life in a working existence,
Take care Avril, and look after yourself,
Rodney.
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Get yourself a super soaker and spray them with water, they'll soon get the message, (cat's not owners)
I've been chasing off a neighbors tom cat with water who has decided he wants in my garage lately
No, spray the owners. I get tired of irresponsible owners whose pets end up paying the price.
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
No, spray the owners. I get tired of irresponsible owners whose pets end up paying the price.
The trouble is, it seems to be accepted that cats do this.
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper...Nice to be here just trying to get back my Mojo...... We do have Seagulls here being close to the ocean and I do like them.

We do have numerous birds here and some do sing but not as many song birds as in the UK. I shall have to look it up and see if its certain parts of the country have more songbirds.

I think as you get older you do have more time to stop and smell the roses but I do notice that my aged relatives dont seem to be bothered with either wildlife or the vast amount of History that surrounds them. I was saying to my husband tonight. Everyday when I lived in Chester I would walk to work along the Roman Walls I never once thought about it and all the History that was involved with it. Only when we left did it every occur to me. I suppose I was young and just too much in a hurry. Normally late for work so having to run.

I could write a list now of all the places I wish I had visited and I may yet get the chance. I know lots of my friends in England are into cruises but I would rather spend the time on shore just visiting the wonderful places around the UK. I think thats why I enjoyed the program that was on a few months ago were he went back in time and visited all the different places I wish I could think of his name.

between two worlds....My daughter has two cats one couldnt care less about the outside the younger one if given the chance would be outside and chasing those birds. He does get some exercise when he gets his catnip toy. Races around like some silly idiot.....

Update on Not going home.

A little quirk I have. My mantlepiece clock which I stored away many years ago to be set up when I got home, well I just cannot get myself to get it going again. I always imagined it would sit on my mantlepiece back home and chime away those Westminster Chimes. I know its silly but its just one of those things.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I you catch the owners pooping in your garden feel free to spray them too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.