Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Thankyou for your kind thoughts and hugs but I just wanted to let you see what happens when we put things off and wait, its not the end of the world but it is a little sad and when I put the box out for trash pick-up and read what I had written on it I remembered packing that box and the excitement of wondering what the new life would bring so that was a moment of sad reflection.

Mummin the foothills....I think if you are struggling in the UK at least you are home and able to enjoy the fulfillment of your dreams I would exchange my nice home for a nice flat in the UK and you will eventually find something you like. It cant be easy as things do seem more expensive and you have to realize things are going to be smaller. I know when I was looking at houses I could not believe how small some of the homes were. I looked at the size of the individual rooms and tried to imagine my furniture in it.

Fish and Chips....Have you ever noticed if you are using cash you are so much more careful as to what you buy. I have started to really look at the price of things I am buying and think twice about it. When you go into a supermarket sometimes you are in a hurry and tend to throw things in the cart without thinking. Now I am trying to be much more careful and actually pay attention to the price. I think its so easy with a card even if its a debit card you still dont think about the actual cost.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Getting technical but I think Tesco is trying to find a buyer for its US stores. I wish there was one by me I would like to see them.

Thank you for answering my question about the Brits using credit cards. I meant to point out that I pay off the card I use each month. There is psychology involved in that if you paid cash you wouldn't spend as much. Another factor is the merchant has to pay about 1-3% to the card companies for the service which means maybe that the merchandise could be lower if people paid cash. This isn't all bad because they don't have to spend time counting all the cash and they don't have to have all the change available.

There has been talk in recent months about adding the 3%? charge to your bill but I don't think the merchants think that is a good idea and in their interests.
I totally understand all you said, no problem, and still I see it as control, everything is a gradule change...

I have CCs and pay them off every month too, but most people dont, all that interest money makes the wealthy CC companies lots of money, at the same time the customer actually buys less as he cant afford as much, he is buying time instead of product...

Stores like debit cards as money shifts into their account quickly, many times Stores get the money before they have actually paid for the goods, all vendor items are 30 days credit, Bread, Pop, Chips, Cookies, Beer etc... they are constantly sold and restocked, so inventory cost on those things is actually very low...

Counting register draws is no big deal I used to do it all the time, that happens for two reasons, to get money in the safe in case of robbery and to keep your eye on the light fingered staff, not everybody can be trusted...

A 3% fee would really stunt sales, I doubt that would happen too...

Just imagine how much money these CC companies make when they charge 3% on every transaction, and that's before you or I pay any interest, its not a bad gig, and very little labor involved on their part...
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Reason #10000 to go home.
Sadly one of the little girls in Dd's school, she was 9, was murdered in her own home in broad daylight by an intruder not far from us. found by her 12 year old brother. Police are swarming all over our neighborhood looking for him with only the 12 year olds description to go by. We all got reverse 911 calls to lock all the doors and stay inside, both yesterday and today.
Parents were not that far away at the ball field with the other children for their little league game they weren't gone long.
Reason #10001... A manager at a retail store where I used to work, in his mid 40s, had a heart attack at the store and died a couple of days ago. He had not had a day off in over 6 months, worked 12 hour days, felt completely trapped in his job and was constantly stressed. He leaves behind the other manager - whose doctor has told her that if she doesn't relieve her stress she will not live much longer.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I hope this works this is the picture I wanted to show you. I dont think it needs any words......mummy in the foothills thankyou...
Awww hugs from me too.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Reason #10001... A manager at a retail store where I used to work, in his mid 40s, had a heart attack at the store and died a couple of days ago. He had not had a day off in over 6 months, worked 12 hour days, felt completely trapped in his job and was constantly stressed. He leaves behind the other manager - whose doctor has told her that if she doesn't relieve her stress she will not live much longer.
That is terrible that the store doesn't care more for the staff and make sure they have rest time. So sad.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:52 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

MITF - What an awful tragedy. I can't imagine what the family is going through. Hope you and your family are doing OK.

TT - I seem to recall that you are planning to visit the UK, I hope that will help in a small way.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That is terrible that the store doesn't care more for the staff and make sure they have rest time. So sad.
I always think of the employer's dilemma that if an employee dies or quits there are a hundred people who will want their job.

Cheers
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your kind thoughts and hugs but I just wanted to let you see what happens when we put things off and wait, its not the end of the world but it is a little sad and when I put the box out for trash pick-up and read what I had written on it I remembered packing that box and the excitement of wondering what the new life would bring so that was a moment of sad reflection.

Mummin the foothills....I think if you are struggling in the UK at least you are home and able to enjoy the fulfillment of your dreams I would exchange my nice home for a nice flat in the UK and you will eventually find something you like. It cant be easy as things do seem more expensive and you have to realize things are going to be smaller. I know when I was looking at houses I could not believe how small some of the homes were. I looked at the size of the individual rooms and tried to imagine my furniture in it.

Fish and Chips....Have you ever noticed if you are using cash you are so much more careful as to what you buy. I have started to really look at the price of things I am buying and think twice about it. When you go into a supermarket sometimes you are in a hurry and tend to throw things in the cart without thinking. Now I am trying to be much more careful and actually pay attention to the price. I think its so easy with a card even if its a debit card you still dont think about the actual cost.
Trotty, I wonder if you were thinking of me rather than Mummy in the Foothills with the para I've highlighted--it was me who was saying I am in UK trying to find a slightly bigger flat and your sad moment with the box put things into perspective for me....and this para does sound as if it's replying to what I said....yes, things are smaller here, that's one issue, and more expensive (especially where Im looking) which is another....but I know I am lucky.

We will still be in France for a bit longer (and that has its own delights), but the end is in sight and more time in UK..

In the US I missed the european blackbird, now these spring evenings they are singing so loud, it is so lovely....
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with you Trotty, I've been living like this for years, I always use cash, when you have to think about what you spend you seem to spend less, Of course I use CCs for large items and online purchases...

I always try to put things in wants a needs categories, if I need something then I need it, but wants can be put off indefinitely, I bet everyone can look around the house and find items they bought on impulse that they have never used once, I know I can...

I don't think most people realize merchants pay the CC companies a 3% fee on all CC purchases, people never look further than the end of their nose, That fee alone puts the retail price up...

I think people have to look into the future, down the road 10 or 20 years, imagine a world without cash, where every purchase goes through a Credit Card Company or middle man, Ok so its 3% today, once cash is gone they will be able to put that fee up to whatever percentage they want, then what will the consumer do???... we are getting lead down the path like sheep, that's all I'm saying...
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I agree with Trotty, bad idea using credit cards instead of cash, The Brits are very much CC people, they seem to follow these trends quite easily.

We like to use Cash, but I see that as getting more difficult, my wife popped into Walmart and went in self checkout lane but couldn't use cash, CCs only, Thats terrible in my opinion, its just another move towards no cash, I see it as more control led by the banking industry, It's not a good thing, People are so easily led...

My Dad always said giving our money to the banks was the worst thing that ever happened, I used to think he was a bit behind the times, but after all Ive seen in recent years I think he was 100% right...

I'm not a fan of self check out either, My wife likes it but I dont, I used to work in that industry, self check puts people out of work, many thousands of jobs have been lost to that idea, its not like you get any kind of a discount, you are working for a major corporation for FREE, plus while you are checking groceries your mind is on that scanner and your groceries not on your purse, a perfect time for the little pick pockets...

I see Tesco is closing its 200 American Fresh and Easy stores.
Yep fish Tesco's fresh & easy stores came a Cropper in the States, they lost so much money on that venture, I remember when the first one opened in Vegas, I was curious so I walked in and had a look around, I wasn't at all impressed at anything, but I did notice that there prices were high and I never went in one of there stores again,
About the Brits using there credit/debit cards instead of cash, yeah your right plastic seems to be king over here, but in what Ive noticed though is its largely a generation thing here, Most people Men or Women in there teens and 20's 30's 40's and maybe as far up as mid 50,s mostly all look at the green money as an obsolete way of buying things, ----- everything from a bar of chocolate to there groceries to there booze, the card is used,
But then you get the older people who are say in there 60's 70.s 80's 90's 100's ----- well we prefer paying for everything in cash, its a lot easier to manage and we never get into debt, or overdraw on our checking account hence no £35 overdraw fee, ----- me well I just draw a set amount out of my account each Wednesday from the ATM machine and its always the same amount, I put a fixed amount by for bills, and the rest is for food etc etc,
the only time I pay for anything with my debit card is if I buy something like an appliance on line, ----- like last week I bought a great new Toshiba blu-ray player from amazon for £49 including shipping, I love it !!!! Im a member of lovefilm UK, unlimited instant movies on line and unlimited movies through the mail, choose either dvd or blu-ray disks, £7.95 per month, and right now Im on a 3 month trial for the price of £7.95 for the whole three months, I thought it was a great deal to try it out and Im sure getting my money's worth, all the latest movies, and all the rest in between, there just as good as netflix in the States, not better, but as good, yes I am a true movie buff even tried to get discovered when I was living in hollywood for a year, It was in the 70's ----- well I read about how Clint Walker was discovered just walking down hollywood blvd one day by a big movie producer in the 60's, and he shot to instant fame as a cowboy actor making westerns, no lessons, remember Cheyenne he was great and so natural, and my goodness he was so tall, ----- well needless to say a big movie producer didn't spot me and make me a big movie star

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 29th 2013 at 10:34 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
needless to say a big movie producer didedidn'tt me and make me a big movie star
Yes but you are a star to us!

and you don't have a messed up life like a lot of stars.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

and you don't have a messed up life like a lot of stars.
There ya go!!!! ----- Dennis Weavers famous line on McCloud
your a star too cheers!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

But then you get the older people who are say in there 60's 70.s 80's 90's 100's ----- well we prefer paying for everything in cash, its a lot easier to manage and we never get into debt, (
"You make me feel so young"
I noticed recently when I was in the check out line that I was staring at someones money because I hadn't seen a $5 + bills for so long.

One thing is I don't notice how much I'm being charged, I just take the receipt and go.

I just came back from the store and my bill for 2 gallons of milk one loaf of french bread and a bottle of mineral water was $7.97. Gas was $10.00 all my credit card. I have a $20 bill in my wallet but that is for an emergency.

See what is happening here. I charge my purchases but then I don't have to pay for them for probably 45 days. Also, I get points on my credit card to use for different things like travel, so its all a game.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Apr 29th 2013 at 10:55 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Darn it thats what I was gonna say...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep fish Tesco's fresh & easy stores came a Cropper in the States, they lost so much money on that venture, I remember when the first one opened in Vegas, I was curious so I walked in and had a look around, I wasn't at all impressed at anything, but I did notice that there prices were high and I never went in one of there stores again,
About the Brits using there credit/debit cards instead of cash, yeah your right plastic seems to be king over here, but in what Ive noticed though is its largely a generation thing here, Most people Men or Women in there teens and 20's 30's 40's and maybe as far up as mid 50,s mostly all look at the green money as an obsolete way of buying things, ----- everything from a bar of chocolate to there groceries to there booze, the card is used,
But then you get the older people who are say in there 60's 70.s 80's 90's 100's ----- well we prefer paying for everything in cash, its a lot easier to manage and we never get into debt, or overdraw on our checking account hence no £35 overdraw fee, ----- me well I just draw a set amount out of my account each Wednesday from the ATM machine and its always the same amount, I put a fixed amount by for bills, and the rest is for food etc etc,
the only time I pay for anything with my debit card is if I buy something like an appliance on line, ----- like last week I bought a great new Toshiba blu-ray player from amazon for £49 including shipping, I love it !!!! Im a member of lovefilm UK, unlimited instant movies on line and unlimited movies through the mail, choose either dvd or blu-ray disks, £7.95 per month, and right now Im on a 3 month trial for the price of £7.95 for the whole three months, I thought it was a great deal to try it out and Im sure getting my money's worth, all the latest movies, and all the rest in between, there just as good as netflix in the States, not better, but as good, yes I am a true movie buff even tried to get discovered when I was living in hollywood for a year, It was in the 70's ----- well I read about how Clint Walker was discovered just walking down hollywood blvd one day by a big movie producer in the 60's, and he shot to instant fame as a cowboy actor making westerns, no lessons, remember Cheyenne he was great and so natural, and my goodness he was so tall, ----- well needless to say a big movie producer didn't spot me and make me a big movie star
The Love film deal sounds good for the money, we do Netflix but don't do the latest DVD stuff... there's plenty of old Brit stuff on there I've never seen at least for right now.

You are right about the age groups and the younger persons spending habits, I suppose I was young and foolish once, paying way over the odds in HP for stuff, I wish I was as wise as I am today, Id be much better off, I just hate that we are all suckers for the newer ways of spending money.

I think School would be a good place to educate kids about money and what it really costs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.