Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
45 years for me and about to go back for the first time...

Can a still get a feed of fish and chips 'n glas a Tizer while I'm waitin' for sixpence?
57 years for me. Last time for a visit was 2002 I think.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Hi Fish, thanks, hubby is a very cautious and conservative person and I think is worried that I will change my mind. Unfortunately I am a person who verbalizes a lot and when I think of something I blurt it out! I think I have over the years had some strange schemes to him! I watch a tv program and see a nice place and then blurt out that maybe we should go there! That is just me and if something is going to be serious then I do give it a lot of thought. He thinks he is planning more for our future by being frugal, getting all our affairs in order and working until he is 65 and then deciding what to do. He reckons that anything can happen and if you plan too long in advance you get disappointed and he has had enough of that most of his life. He jokingly says that North Korea may just nuke us all and then where will we all be? As I am writing this I know that he is just being patient, more patient than me. I have only been married for 12 years. Before that I was a single person for many years who only had to think of myself and if I wanted to move or change jobs or even move countries, well I just up and left! He does love England, he misses it more than I think he says judging by what he complains about here but I think he is just too scared to plan in case he cannot accomplish what he really wants! Hope I am making sense here
Feelbritish.

Not to side up with the hubby but I'm very much like him, I make plans and try to get my affairs in order, you cant save money for a big move and not be frugal as I see it so I'm frugal too, I buy things we Need, not things we just want, If I had piles of money sitting around I wouldn't even worry about it.

Working till 65, I plan on working till I'm 70, I think I will need to work to that age, at this point lets just say I'm prepared to do it if I have to.

You did make sense, I think its just a case of waiting and seeing what comes in the next few years.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I hadn't realized that your parents home sold at last. that prices in your area start to go up again, so you can finally get moving.
I have no clue what ours will be up for sale for, they are still a few repos around, ones with problems or not in a good spot, too steep driveways etc. But there are hardly any regular sales about either.
Hi Mummy.

Hopefully you will be able to get a good price for your home, location is everything and never no more important than now.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Fish I so feel for you and for your situation but sometimes we just have to be patient. Your time will also come. Listen to me saying that, she who has no patience! Going back with money to be able to buy a house and perhaps start a business is the way to go! I think if we never kept our house over there which is mortgage free we would not be able to return confidently and would struggle financially.

House sales even here are not moving, we have 2 oceanfront homes across from us which started out over million dollars and have been reduced dramatically and another 3 houses/condos on our street for sale. It is a good thing we are only looking in 2 years time to sell because now is definitely not the time. We are spending this year carrying on upgrading the house as and when we get spare cash including making my "English Style" garden low maintenance.

The other point you mentioned in your post was buying items that you cannot take with you! Well we are both now thinking twice before we buy something. I know that is frustrating hubby as he loves to buy "boys toys" especially when they come on special. We are even not buying unnecessary clothes and have already started selling items we would not need or take back with us, our skis and gear will probably go next fall. We have not been able to ski for years but still hang on to them!
Hi Feelbritish.

Don't worry I have plenty of patience, Its just the way it has to be, but every time I go back for a vacation I feel like stopping and not getting on that plane, in reality its just not feasible.

I need money for a house because I cant imagine I would be able to get a loan, I know its difficult at the best of times in the UK to borrow money for a home, today I think things are even tighter, so that's why my plans are like they are, being Mortgage free also appeals to me.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
45 years for me and about to go back for the first time...

Can a still get a feed of fish and chips 'n glas a Tizer while I'm waitin' for sixpence?
Yikes!...

The Fish n Chips are still good and Tizer is available but sixpences went out in the early 70s, today Fish n chips would be close to five quid.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Feelbritish.

Don't worry I have plenty of patience, Its just the way it has to be, but every time I go back for a vacation I feel like stopping and not getting on that plane, in reality its just not feasible.

I need money for a house because I cant imagine I would be able to get a loan, I know its difficult at the best of times in the UK to borrow money for a home, today I think things are even tighter, so that's why my plans are like they are, being Mortgage free also appeals to me.
Depending where you read in the British newspapers home prices seem to be going through the roof. This doesn't make sense to me if the economy is so bad. ????
Back to your comment. It seems to be the way to go by renting instead of buying. ?????
Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
57 years for me. Last time for a visit was 2002 I think.
Cheers, you must hold the record for the person gone the longest. Must be a testament to the fact that the will to go home never dies. How long for you do you think?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Yikes!...

The Fish n Chips are still good and Tizer is available but sixpences went out in the early 70s, today Fish n chips would be close to five quid.
There are no more newspaper wrappers either
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Cheers, you must hold the record for the person gone the longest. Must be a testament to the fact that the will to go home never dies. How long for you do you think?
June this year for a research trip.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Depending where you read in the British newspapers home prices seem to be going through the roof. This doesn't make sense to me if the economy is so bad. ????
Back to your comment. It seems to be the way to go by renting instead of buying. ?????
Cheers
In the UK? they seemed to be overpriced to me, I'm hoping that they will finally fall in line for when we buy.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Prices seem to be going up in London, but it isn't a countrywide move. Property prices down my way are pretty stagnant.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
Prices seem to be going up in London, but it isn't a countrywide move. Property prices down my way are pretty stagnant.
Aires,
I've been reading about them extending the railway out your way so I was wondering if you have been on the railway since you moved there?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

June this year for a research trip.
We are going next year. Planning on landing in Paris to see my aunt, and maybe staying there with day trips to London. Will have to calculate what works out to be most economical. Then at some point we will visit Exeter and Cardiff for our recon. Where are you heading to?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
We are going next year. Planning on landing in Paris to see my aunt, and maybe staying there with day trips to London. Will have to calculate what works out to be most economical. Then at some point we will visit Exeter and Cardiff for our recon. Where are you heading to?
Snowdon
Beacons
Devon
Kent

Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Snowdon
Beacons
Devon
Kent

Cheers
Sounds wonderful.
Wave to my family when you head to Snowdon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.