Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva
Hey Celticspirit are you involved in any way on the importing of shelter chihuahuas into Texas from California? I know that we have a plethora because of that clown Paris Hilton. Have been hearing that we send them to Canada and Texas where there is apparently a shortage of small dogs.
I don't think there is any shortage of toy dogs in Texas as puppy mills abound. I do not bring strays into my home due to the risk of bringing diseases especially if i have baby puppies However I do financially contribute to rescue organizations in particular Chihuahua Rescue and Transport. Check out their web site.
Just got back from NYC. Shows were great. My Dizzy Lizzie thought she was a Roomba and not supposed to walk on all four feet!! Most of all it was great to see my kids, friends and have fun!!!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Do you know if that's an usual thing then, the reporting of the US winner? Maybe because little known UK breed? He's lovely though. Don't think there will be a huge run of people out to buy them here when they find out how quickly they grow, how much exercise they need, and how many puppies they have in a litter.................and you can't put them in a purse!
Yes - I thought the dog that won was a lovely dog. I find it sad though that the golden retrievers and the labrador retrievers never seem to get a look in and they are the most popular dogs in the US. I'm more of a cat person (I've never had a dog) but I do like dogs and like to watch the shows.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - I thought the dog that won was a lovely dog. I find it sad though that the golden retrievers and the labrador retrievers never seem to get a look in and they are the most popular dogs in the US. I'm more of a cat person (I've never had a dog) but I do like dogs and like to watch the shows.
Goldens and Labs generally get a good look in most shows. We have has some wonderful winning Goldens. The entries are huge in those breeds. Just gnomonic our little chihuahuas.......one can barely see them on the Telly. They must be under 6 lbs to compete.
It was such a fun weekend in NYC. Very cold but no snow!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Goldens and Labs generally get a good look in most shows. We have has some wonderful winning Goldens. The entries are huge in those breeds. Just gnomonic our little chihuahuas.......one can barely see them on the Telly. They must be under 6 lbs to compete.
It was such a fun weekend in NYC. Very cold but no snow!
I guess what I meant was - you never see the Goldens or Labs win "Best in Show". Sorry - I didn't word it very well.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I guess what I meant was - you never see the Goldens or Labs win "Best in Show". Sorry - I didn't word it very well.
You are right about that. However the Scottish Deerhound was the first time ever for that breed. I was rooting for the Irish Wolfhound myself!!!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

You are right about that. However the Scottish Deerhound was the first time ever for that breed. I was rooting for the Irish Wolfhound myself!!!
My SO keeps telling me about a cross between a pug and a bulldog that was on the show. Do you know what that breed would be???
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes the Irish wolfhounds are lovely dogs!! They usually have them walking in the St Patrick's Day parade in Cleveland (I live about 30 minute drive outside Cleveland). I don't get to see the parade very often as it is always held on the actual day and if it's Monday thru Friday I'm at work. I see it if it's at the weekend. Unfortunately, it's usually chilly here even in mid March, although occasionally the weather will be nice, but I've been to a few parades when it's been snowing. I always feel sorry for the poor dogs out walking in the snow, although they wear nice green coats!! I'm sure the parade in Ohio is nowhere near as big as the ones held in New York, and of course, Dublin. I was just thinking of St Patrick's Day today - I had a closet clean-out and was going to dump a rather old green shirt (it's shrunk a bit - or maybe (more likely) I've gained weight) then I thought - no I can wear it one more time on St Patrick's Day!!!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
My SO keeps telling me about a cross between a pug and a bulldog that was on the show. Do you know what that breed would be???
There are no dogs other than purebreds at an AKC sanctioned Dog Show. Could it have been a Boston Terrier or a French Bulldog? Both are glorious!! Go on www.AKC.org and look at the pics. Would love to own either/ both......great family dogs.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes the Irish wolfhounds are lovely dogs!! They usually have them walking in the St Patrick's Day parade in Cleveland (I live about 30 minute drive outside Cleveland). I don't get to see the parade very often as it is always held on the actual day and if it's Monday thru Friday I'm at work. I see it if it's at the weekend. Unfortunately, it's usually chilly here even in mid March, although occasionally the weather will be nice, but I've been to a few parades when it's been snowing. I always feel sorry for the poor dogs out walking in the snow, although they wear nice green coats!! I'm sure the parade in Ohio is nowhere near as big as the ones held in New York, and of course, Dublin. I was just thinking of St Patrick's Day today - I had a closet clean-out and was going to dump a rather old green shirt (it's shrunk a bit - or maybe (more likely) I've gained weight) then I thought - no I can wear it one more time on St Patrick's Day!!!
Irish Wolfhounds are quite popular in Dallas. Generally the larger the dog, the shorter the lifespan. They have many genetic health issues and need to live indoors due to weather constraints. We have a huge St Patricks Day Festival in Dallas each year (almost like a state fair). There is always an Irish Wolfhound exhibit. I think the owners are very dedicated and educated in explaining the difficulties of the breed. This year our three day weekend s the first weekend in March.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just got corrected. The dog was on the "View"
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

There are no dogs other than purebreds at an AKC sanctioned Dog Show. Could it have been a Boston Terrier or a French Bulldog? Both are glorious!! Go on www.AKC.org and look at the pics. Would love to own either/ both......great family dogs.
Hey Celticspirit, do you have any thoughts on the BARF diet? Do you have any experience with it?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Hey Celticspirit, do you have any thoughts on the BARF diet? Do you have any experience with it?
Thought I'd add that this stands for Bones & Raw Food Diet.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

As a matter of fact I do. I have it delivered every two weeks. It comes in frozen patties. My dogs eat it once a day and and organic dry food also. They love raw food, but there is the extra work involved making sure everything cleaned up and bacteria free afterwards.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

As a matter of fact I do. I have it delivered every two weeks. It comes in frozen patties. My dogs eat it once a day and and organic dry food also. They love raw food, but there is the extra work involved making sure everything cleaned up and bacteria free afterwards.
Good to hear. I had five Borzois at one time and had them on a raw food diet. Quite a bit of work but worth it. Each got 3 raw chicken quarters and then all the veggies and supplements. 10lb bag a day. They loved it! Also I loved the poop! I wonder how much chicken is in UK? Don't think I could have 5 at a time over there though. Do you vaccinate for everything?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good to hear. I had five Borzois at one time and had them on a raw food diet. Quite a bit of work but worth it. Each got 3 raw chicken quarters and then all the veggies and supplements. 10lb bag a day. They loved it! Also I loved the poop! I wonder how much chicken is in UK? Don't think I could have 5 at a time over there though. Do you vaccinate for everything?
Not at all. It is a big money spinner for vets and most vaccines are very detrimental to our dogs' health. I give a four in one at 16 weeks (never Lepto) and the same as a booster at six months. I give them myself. No reason to risk possible illnesses picked up the clinic. You can purchase them online. In the UK they must be administered by a vet, I believe. I never give rabies unless they are going abroad. I have a blood titer test every couple of years and my nine year old is still protected. There are lots of web sites citing the dangers of over vaccinating.
How many dogs are you taking to the UK?
It must have been very expensive to feed raw food to five borzois!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.