Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 24th 2013, 7:09 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by fulwood
i have windows 8. you can configure it for different things such as firefox or chrome. try one of the others.. it might also be down for a while. they have facebook page that lets you know if they are working on things. windsong and myself have had no issue with it. also if it works for itv you have to register. they ask for postal code i just entered one of friends that I remembered..good luck.
I was using Firefox...so will just keep trying.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:17 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

In news from the UK, we're now heading for officially the coldest March in 50 years. (Since I was born 50 years ago, and returned home this year, my mother is blaming me )

I haven't minded the snow at all until now, but it's a bit of a pain at the moment, because we're supposed to be moving into our new house in 4 days and currently the roads up there are impassable. We had hired someone to refinish a wood floor for us prior to moving in and the poor guy had to come out on Sunday because he was snowed in on Friday and Saturday. Then he had to walk 1/2 mile uphill through the fields to get to the house and finish his work. (I've heard lots of complaints about British tradesmen but I have to say that the people we've hired have all been fantastic).

We tried to get there on Saturday to wait for a fridge delivery and wound up stuck in a snow drift, trying to dig ourselves out while the wind blew snow in our faces and our hands started to feel like they'd fall off! The only reason we got out was a very kind man from a nearby town, who saw us from the main road, walked down, and helped push the car back to safety.

I've lived in Canada and I've driven through blizzards, but I've never been as stuck as that in my life!

Today we're going to have another go at getting up there and we may also call the moving company and see if we can push things back by a week, as we don't have to leave our rental just yet.

Looks like when we finally get moved in, the first order of business is to buy a big freezer and stock it full of food (plus stockpile wine in the garage!)
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
In news from the UK, we're now heading for officially the coldest March in 50 years. (Since I was born 50 years ago, and returned home this year, my mother is blaming me )

I haven't minded the snow at all until now, but it's a bit of a pain at the moment, because we're supposed to be moving into our new house in 4 days and currently the roads up there are impassable. We had hired someone to refinish a wood floor for us prior to moving in and the poor guy had to come out on Sunday because he was snowed in on Friday and Saturday. Then he had to walk 1/2 mile uphill through the fields to get to the house and finish his work. (I've heard lots of complaints about British tradesmen but I have to say that the people we've hired have all been fantastic).

We tried to get there on Saturday to wait for a fridge delivery and wound up stuck in a snow drift, trying to dig ourselves out while the wind blew snow in our faces and our hands started to feel like they'd fall off! The only reason we got out was a very kind man from a nearby town, who saw us from the main road, walked down, and helped push the car back to safety.

I've lived in Canada and I've driven through blizzards, but I've never been as stuck as that in my life!

Today we're going to have another go at getting up there and we may also call the moving company and see if we can push things back by a week, as we don't have to leave our rental just yet.

Looks like when we finally get moved in, the first order of business is to buy a big freezer and stock it full of food (plus stockpile wine in the garage!)
It sounds like a good idea to me Sally...

I'm amazed at the amount of snow the Uk has had this year, to my recollection its usually not around in February never mind March, the Inlaws I speak with are all very tired of it.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:29 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

It definitely sounds like you went through the ringer.. lol Sorry, I shouldn't make light of it because getting snowed in is never funny, but I'm proud of the fact there are still genuinely helpful people who will go out of there way to offer assistance. I can't say it would happen here in the US.

It reminds me of a time in Washington State when we had what you'd probably call blizzard conditions. My late husband and I lived in a house that was at the top of a very long, single car only driveway up a hill. So the snow comes down, the driveway is covered with snow...then because there are thick trees on both sides of the road when the snow melts to a degree it doesn't go away totally because the sun can't get to it, so it turns into an ice rink..then more snow comes down. Then the power goes out..so there we are snowed in, with no way in or out for 10 days, with no electricity, no heat and nobody comes ! The snow plow doesn't come because it's not a state road, so they're doing the major road at the bottom and leave us...LOL

Sufficed to say we survived, but it was weird to see that it was colder INSIDE the house than it was outside.. LOL
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:19 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we made it to the house today but only because we eventually parked our car in the village and walked half a mile over icy fields with hailstones blowing in our face to get to the house! (first tip when you get back, buy a good pair of wellies!) We tried 5 different driving routes and each was blocked by a snow drift at one point or another.

So we've cancelled the move for this week and we're very relieved about it. Now the weather can do what it likes for the next few days and hopefully things will warm up by early next week (fingers and toes crossed!) The good news is that we had power and the house was snug as a bug. We met some villagers as we tried to make our way up and all said some version of the same thing "I've lived here 20 years and never seen anything like this." That made us feel a bit better as we were starting to think we'd be snowed in every winter!

Anyway, the main thing is that I got to refill the bird feeders - I was very worried about the birds as we hadn't been able to get up there for days.

Tonight we're going out for a well-deserved pint and some pub grub!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:23 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Well, we made it to the house today but only because we eventually parked our car in the village and walked half a mile over icy fields with hailstones blowing in our face to get to the house! (first tip when you get back, buy a good pair of wellies!) We tried 5 different driving routes and each was blocked by a snow drift at one point or another.

So we've cancelled the move for this week and we're very relieved about it. Now the weather can do what it likes for the next few days and hopefully things will warm up by early next week (fingers and toes crossed!) The good news is that we had power and the house was snug as a bug. We met some villagers as we tried to make our way up and all said some version of the same thing "I've lived here 20 years and never seen anything like this." That made us feel a bit better as we were starting to think we'd be snowed in every winter!

Anyway, the main thing is that I got to refill the bird feeders - I was very worried about the birds as we hadn't been able to get up there for days.

I don't know how true it is, but I was reading online this morning that they're predicting wintery conditions (not necessarily snow but freezing cold temps) until the end of April !!!!!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant! Well done you, it's lovely that you care so much. Good karma coming your way for that one I reckon...

Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:50 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I don't know how true it is, but I was reading online this morning that they're predicting wintery conditions (not necessarily snow but freezing cold temps) until the end of April !!!!!
I read that too - right before I read another article that said we were in for a heatwave by the end of April Take your pick!

They do seem to think that the melting ice in the Arctic is causing the jet stream to shift position. If that's true, we are in for many more freezing cold winters in years to come.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:57 pm
Yorkshire Lass

I read that too - right before I read another article that said we were in for a heatwave by the end of April Take your pick!

They do seem to think that the melting ice in the Arctic is causing the jet stream to shift position. If that's true, we are in for many more freezing cold winters in years to come.
I guess it all depends on what they consider a heatwave..lol. After living in Arizona and having temperatures of 117 degrees F I'm pretty sure that I can handle whatever is thrown at me....LOL. Better start stocking up now before next Winter just to be on the safe side.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on what they consider a heatwave..lol. After living in Arizona and having temperatures of 117 degrees F I'm pretty sure that I can handle whatever is thrown at me....LOL. Better start stocking up now before next Winter just to be on the safe side.
HATE black ice!! I haven't seen too much of it in the Midwest - more snow over the years than anything and, even then, they clear the roads as quickly as possible by melting it with salt.

I wonder if the roads in Scotland and England are better cared for than they used to be 30 years ago. I remember in Scotland that even two inches of snow became a nightmare. They didn't even clear it from the roads. I think it was some sort of grit that was put down on them but no salt, if I remember correctly. Here in the USA, two inches of snow would be gone from the roads very quickly.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to the local pub?

I would think they still use that expression "as changeable as the weather" over there.

I think I have Seen in your photographs snow, and the next day it has cleared.

I'm in Las Vegas for 10 days and the weather is gorgeous here. Come and join us won't you?

Cheers
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:25 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by windsong

I wonder if the roads in Scotland and England are better cared for than they used to be 30 years ago. I remember in Scotland that even two inches of snow became a nightmare. They didn't even clear it from the roads. I think it was some sort of grit that was put down on them but no salt, if I remember correctly. Here in the USA, two inches of snow would be gone from the roads very quickly.
Yes things are much better now. We've been very impressed as I think I said previously. Britain does not grind to a halt when it snows - far from it. Even remote country lanes were cleared the day after this snow storm (worst in 50 years in our area).

But the problem where I'm going is that snow blows down from the fields and where there are gaps in the stone walls, it gets out onto the road, but then can't blow any further because of the wall on the other side. So you'll get a clear lane, then a 3-foot high snow drift, and then a clear lane just on the other side of it!

I don't believe a lane this remote would get regular clearing in the US any more than it does here. Up in the wilds of Wyoming, I expect the farmers and locals have to dig themselves out.

Cheers, no offense but I'll pass on Las Vegas. It was my least favorite place in the US (sorry Rodney!) and I'm much happier in the cold and snow than in the heat
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes things are much better now. We've been very impressed as I think I said previously. Britain does not grind to a halt when it snows - far from it. Even remote country lanes were cleared the day after this snow storm (worst in 50 years in our area).

But the problem where I'm going is that snow blows down from the fields and where there are gaps in the stone walls, it gets out onto the road, but then can't blow any further because of the wall on the other side. So you'll get a clear lane, then a 3-foot high snow drift, and then a clear lane just on the other side of it!

I don't believe a lane this remote would get regular clearing in the US any more than it does here. Up in the wilds of Wyoming, I expect the farmers and locals have to dig themselves out.

Cheers, no offense but I'll pass on Las Vegas. It was my least favorite place in the US (sorry Rodney!) and I'm much happier in the cold and snow than in the heat

Great news about the roads being better cared for in winter. On the days when the roads in your neck of the woods are bad, you are fortunate to be able to work from home and can cozy up in the evening with a glass of good wine, knowing you survived the one-year transition period and now you are truly "back home" in your "own" home Hope you post more pics on your blog of your new home

Ditto on Las Vegas. Never been there - no desire.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 26th 2013 at 10:55 am.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
[/B]

Ditto on Las Vegas. Never been there - no desire.
Well it is the closest to being the h*ll on earth you can get if you like that sort of thing. Most people are here because they need the work. poor things. I wonder if it compares with the Middle East in that regard.

My Dd reports that it has rained every day since she and the family have been in Hawaii. I think she said it is a little on the chilly side. Her boys did some snorkeling yesterday.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I think a heatwave in the UK is when there are two days or more of 25º C, not that I've seen it at this level since I've been back. It has amazed me to see people wearing next to nothing at 20º C when in South Australia in the summer it would be a cold spell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.