British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 23rd 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10619792)
Each to there own I suppose ------- but for me American Football is soooooo drawn out and boring, it just never seems to end ----- like ----- four and half hours, thats why I like Soccer cause its just a nice comfortable 90 minutes plus maybe a little injury time!!!! just right for someone like me with a limited attention span,

I totally agree, I can't stand the game, and they make such a big deal out if it, Its never facinated me...

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 23rd 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10619799)
Rodney,

I have never heard the time expressed as five and twenty past. I always say ten to five, quarter past five, 20 past five etc.:)

I grew up with Five and Twenty past also... of course twenty five past was common too...

dunroving Mar 23rd 2013 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10619963)
My gran always kept the clock on the mantelpiece 10-15 minutes fast. What was that all about? Right enough, it was handy when I was running late for the bus.:lol:

I always keep my alarm clock 15 minutes fast to make sure I get up early. :thumbup:

lf1 Mar 23rd 2013 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10620422)
I always keep my alarm clock 15 minutes fast to make sure I get up early. :thumbup:

Does your alarm go off 15 minutes before you want to get up or does the clock read 15 minutes ahead? I am rereading my question and not sure if it makes sense, but it is late.:)

Mummy in the foothills Mar 24th 2013 4:52 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10620422)

My clock has decided to get me up earlier each day, how a digital clock can be off is amazing to me. Over a month it will get me up 15 minutes earlier I have to keep changing it back to normal time, although it does give me 15 minutes of quiet to enjoy a cup of coffee before waking Dd up for school.

curleytops Mar 24th 2013 11:51 am

If any of you are looking for something to watch on telly (ok I know tonight's at least partly taken care of with some must see Corrie) you may have missed a new series shown last week in the afternoons called WPC 56 on BBC. It's on the player now for a few days. Set in 1950's about the first lady constable in a Midlands precinct. Odd that BBC chose to air it in the afternoons and not in an evening slot where it might have attracted more attention. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope they bring it back for a second series. It was well worth the watch.

curleytops Mar 24th 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10620002)
I totally agree, I can't stand the game, and they make such a big deal out if it, Its never facinated me...

I totally agree! I hated those Sunday night games that always ran over and kept you waiting lord knows how long for 60 Minutes, Jessica and the Sunday night movie.

lf1 Mar 24th 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10620951)
If any of you are looking for something to watch on telly (ok I know tonight's at least partly taken care of with some must see Corrie) you may have missed a new series shown last week in the afternoons called WPC 56 on BBC. It's on the player now for a few days. Set in 1950's about the first lady constable in a Midlands precinct. Odd that BBC chose to air it in the afternoons and not in an evening slot where it might have attracted more attention. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope they bring it back for a second series. It was well worth the watch.

Thanks. I must look for that. They did the same thing with Father Brown, which I quite enjoyed, and if it hadn't been for the trailers I would never have known about it.:)

WhoFan63 Mar 24th 2013 3:25 pm

I'll have to wait till I get home to watch, or see if it's on You Tube. I just hate it when the BBC Iplayer won't let me watch anything and it comes up with that annoying little warning that says something like 'we notice you're not in the UK, so this content isn't available to you'. It makes me feel like a hand has come through the screen and given me a slap LOL

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 24th 2013 4:09 pm

Saw the trailer for wpc56 and a short clip on you tube, it does look good, I love shows set in that period, reminds me of days as a kid...

If you like shows about women a series called Bletchley Circle may appeal to you, we really enjoyed it.

windsong Mar 24th 2013 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10621213)
I'll have to wait till I get home to watch, or see if it's on You Tube. I just hate it when the BBC Iplayer won't let me watch anything and it comes up with that annoying little warning that says something like 'we notice you're not in the UK, so this content isn't available to you'. It makes me feel like a hand has come through the screen and given me a slap LOL

Use Firefox, download the plug-in called Hola and you are all set to watch :)

I think there's a version for Chrome, too.

WhoFan63 Mar 24th 2013 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10621279)
Use Firefox, download the plug-in called Hola and you are all set to watch :)

I think there's a version for Chrome, too.

How safe is it???

fulwood Mar 24th 2013 6:13 pm

Very safe. I use it all the time. I use Google Chrome. Right now the only TV I watch is thru my computer. I watch Netflix right now into foreign dramas such as Spiral and BBC TV. I only watch free stuff on ITV. Watching Broadchurch and Lightfields right now. There are free episodes of Foyle's war on ITV. On BBC watch stuff like WPC5, The Planners, also Irish show which is subtitled called "Scup". I will eventually get my Roku set up..

WhoFan63 Mar 24th 2013 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10621432)
Very safe. I use it all the time. I use Google Chrome. Right now the only TV I watch is thru my computer. I watch Netflix right now into foreign dramas such as Spiral and BBC TV. I only watch free stuff on ITV. Watching Broadchurch and Lightfields right now. There are free episodes of Foyle's war on ITV. On BBC watch stuff like WPC5, The Planners, also Irish show which is subtitled called "Scup". I will eventually get my Roku set up..

It just confused me a little because when it was up and running it wouldn't let me load up BE and it crashed a few times and wouldn't let me do anything..lol. Probably because I have Windows 8.

fulwood Mar 24th 2013 6:46 pm

i have windows 8. you can configure it for different things such as firefox or chrome. try one of the others.. it might also be down for a while. they have facebook page that lets you know if they are working on things. windsong and myself have had no issue with it. also if it works for itv you have to register. they ask for postal code i just entered one of friends that I remembered..good luck.