British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Mar 23rd 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10612409)
!! Well that's the thing, as someone else has already said, "tea" (meaning dinner) is a northern thing, and even in the north may depend on circumstances. I mean you wouldn't say "I've booked for tea at 7 tonight at that wonderful Italian restaurant," or would you? And Lord and Lady So-and-so in their mansion up north would surely talk about tea at teatime, and dinner in the evening?

I have a sister living oop north and she has picked it up; the other day on skype she said "I don't know what to have for tea" and for a minute I was really bemused and nearly answered, "um, a cup of tea? and maybe a biscuit or two?" until i realised she meant supper (or dinner)!!

As for "afters" instead of "dessert," i rarely heard it growing up, nor did we say "pudding."

Ah, the regional variations in our wonderful language...I love it!

Well Im from the south, Ive never lived up north and none of my relatives have ever lived in the north, and in the south everyone I know have always called dinner ------ (TEA) ------- so its not a northern thing, and as for (AFTERS) everyone I know still calls it that, and not desert!!!!!
And as for (TIME) ------- like telling the time, ----Does anyone know why people over here say five and twenty past or five and twenty to :confused:
instead of say ---- 25 past 10 ----- or 25 to 10 like we do in USA? or maybe thats just a Southern thing in England, or maybe its just a very old english term and maybe only people in my Mothers generation still use it? anyone know?

jasper123 Mar 23rd 2013 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10619634)

I console myself by thinking at least it is not ice hockey or American football which drag on for 3 hours.:)

Each to there own I suppose ------- but for me American Football is soooooo drawn out and boring, it just never seems to end ----- like ----- four and half hours, thats why I like Soccer cause its just a nice comfortable 90 minutes plus maybe a little injury time!!!! just right for someone like me with a limited attention span,

lf1 Mar 23rd 2013 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10619792)
Each to there own I suppose ------- but for me American Football is soooooo drawn out and boring, it just never seems to end ----- like ----- four and half hours, thats why I like Soccer cause its just a nice comfortable 90 minutes plus maybe a little injury time!!!! just right for someone like me with a limited attention span,

I agree, it is like watching paint dry. That why I am a bit more tolerant when it is footy on the TV as it only last 90 mins or so.

lf1 Mar 23rd 2013 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10619750)
Well Im from the south, Ive never lived up north and none of my relatives have ever lived in the north, and in the south everyone I know have always called dinner ------ (TEA) ------- so its not a northern thing, and as for (AFTERS) everyone I know still calls it that, and not desert!!!!!
And as for (TIME) ------- like telling the time, ----Does anyone know why people over here say five and twenty past or five and twenty to :confused:
instead of say ---- 25 past 10 ----- or 25 to 10 like we do in USA? or maybe thats just a Southern thing in England, or maybe its just a very old english term and maybe only people in my Mothers generation still use it? anyone know?

Rodney,

I have never heard the time expressed as five and twenty past. I always say ten to five, quarter past five, 20 past five etc.:)

mikelincs Mar 23rd 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10619796)
I agree, it is like watching paint dry. That why I am a bit more tolerant when it is footy on the TV as it only last 90 mins or so.

Except they add about 45 mins to discuss what might happen and rehash previous games, and then another 30 mins at the end to discuss what has just happened, and why the team won/lost/drew, and what the manager should/should not have done. Sport should be taken off the main channels, and each company like BBC and ITV have a specific sport channel so viewers who don't like sport can watch their normal programmes on the usual night.

jasper123 Mar 23rd 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10619799)
Rodney,

I have never heard the time expressed as five and twenty past. I always say ten to five, quarter past five, 20 past five etc.:)

Well talking about me Mum ----- she tells the time just like we do too, like 10 till five or 20 past five but what im specifically saying is when the time is 25 minutes to an hour or 25 minutes past an hour -------- she puts the (5) first followed by the (20) ---- so she says 5 and 20 to 9 ------or 5 and 20 past 9 ------ im just using the 9 being an example hour on the clock!!!!! does anyone know what im talking about?
she has always said it that way all MY life anyway.

sallysimmons Mar 23rd 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10619818)
Well talking about me Mum ----- she tells the time just like we do too, like 10 till five or 20 past five but what im specifically saying is when the time is 25 minutes to an hour or 25 minutes past an hour -------- she puts the (5) first followed by the (20) ---- so she says 5 and 20 to 9 ------or 5 and 20 past 9 ------ im just using the 9 being an example hour on the clock!!!!! does anyone know what im talking about?

Yep, my gran used to say it that way too, and all her sisters did the same thing.

Maybe it's a generational thing.

between two worlds Mar 23rd 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10619818)

That's lovely and old-fashioned, Rodney--"five and twenty." I don't think I've ever heard it said in normal conversation; I only know it from things like the old nursery rhyme--"five and twenty blackbirds/baked in a pie."

So growing up in the south you said" tea" for dinner too.....??Well, it's so interesting, all these differences.

jasper123 Mar 23rd 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10619834)
Yep, my gran used to say it that way too, and all her sisters did the same thing.

Maybe it's a generational thing.

Well thank you Sally, I was begining to think that it was just my Mum who said it like that :D
Your probably right, it must be a generational thing, like the way people were taught to say certain things the way there school taught them back in there day, my Mum was born in 1919 so her school days would have started around 1924 in infant school, everyone in her school was taught to write LEFT handed too, so to this very day she still can only write with her left hand,
this 5 and 20 thing makes me think of years ago when they used to say when referring to an average persons life span of 70 (back then) they said three score years and ten, oh dear that dont make me feel very good as Im already 68 this June :eek: :eek:

WhoFan63 Mar 23rd 2013 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10619750)

With regards to 'time', that's one of the things than would crack everyone up when i got here to the US. I say 10 past 5, or 25 to 6, always have, so when i got here and heard people saying 10 AFTER 5 or 25 TILL 6 I'd be gobsmacked..lol I think my way sounds better...LOL :D I don't know whether it's certain areas in the US, but I've NEVER heard an American say
"25 TO 10" for example, but of course I've not talked with EVERY American...lol

dunroving Mar 23rd 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10619940)
With regards to 'time', that's one of the things than would crack everyone up when i got here to the US. I say 10 past 5, or 25 to 6, always have, so when i got here and heard people saying 10 AFTER 5 or 25 TILL 6 I'd be gobsmacked..lol I think my way sounds better...LOL :D I don't know whether it's certain areas in the US, but I've NEVER heard an American say
"25 TO 10" for example, but of course I've not talked with EVERY American...lol

We're all oldies, used to analog watches and clocks - I think the younger generation say "10:25" or "10:45" because that is what they see on their (digital) watch display.

Some university students have difficulty interpreting an analog display or figuring out that 10:40 is twenty to eleven (because they have to subtract 40 from 60 to get the answer).

WhoFan63 Mar 23rd 2013 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10619948)
We're all oldies, used to analog watches and clocks - I think the younger generation say "10:25" or "10:45" because that is what they see on their (digital) watch display.

Some university students have difficulty interpreting an analog display or figuring out that 10:40 is twenty to eleven (because they have to subtract 40 from 60 to get the answer).

OMG, what is this world coming to?? I think it's terrible to realise that this new generation, the kids that will be taking care of everything when we're older rely on so much technology. They use calculators for simple math. I think the next generation will be born with just one finger, to make it easier to press a button...LOL

Of course I'm saying this while sitting at a laptop (technology) LOL

lf1 Mar 23rd 2013 4:09 pm

My gran always kept the clock on the mantelpiece 10-15 minutes fast. What was that all about? Right enough, it was handy when I was running late for the bus.:lol:

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 23rd 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10617535)
Thank you Fish, I do. Hope everything has cleared up with you. Surprised when you said you had this problem in an overcast area. Is that common?

Not really sure but a guy I work for had the same trouble on his face, they say overcast skies is no protection as the suns rays filter through.

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 23rd 2013 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10619634)
Yes. I was assured that there would be less football on the TV (we don't have Sky) than we got in Canada. If the trend continues, I will put my foot down and send him off to the wee TV in the kitchen or the pub. I just get my knitting needles out. That helps to pass the time and the "click clacking" of the needles helps to drown out the tedious drone of the talking head analysis. My trusty iPad is always close at hand, just in case there is breaking news on BE :lol:

I console myself by thinking at least it is not ice hockey or American football which drag on for 3 hours.:)

Yikes, Assured... thats a stretch... get out the knitting needles...