Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
My mother is in a residential nursing home.
One of the staff there is the Activities Person, or as the residents call her, the Play Lady.

I asked her today about her job and it is mainly activities, games, vicars visit, bringing in the pet rabbit, wheeling old folks up the road (and back) a bit, chatting.
She does chip in with meal serving and general daytime assist but not in the personal care / hygiene aspect.
Her training is arranged through the nursing home management.

I notice also that the cleaning staff also chip in with meal service and such and will assist folks to move about if they need a supporting hand.
Sounds perfect for me. John, would you mind asking her if it's not a bother what qualifications are required? Thanks.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Do everything to protect yourself, I live in an overcast area and have had issues with skin cancer on my head, its no fun at all.
Thank you Fish, I do. Hope everything has cleared up with you. Surprised when you said you had this problem in an overcast area. Is that common?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yipeee, I'm getting closer. Carpet has arrived at the warehouse, of course the man said I'll call you back as soon as the installer gets back in and book a day to install, phone rings, Dh's friend, yak yak yak later and the carpet shop is now closed for the day. I wanted it all arranged right now!!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:30 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Sounds perfect for me. John, would you mind asking her if it's not a bother what qualifications are required? Thanks.
I used to work in a rehabilitation and care center here in AZ and we had staff who did the duties you me tioned. Here we called them
Activities staff" some were staff and aome volunteers. There were no educational qualifications need just a willingness and patience to work with the elderly
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Fish, I do. Hope everything has cleared up with you. Surprised when you said you had this problem in an overcast area. Is that common?
Hi Perth...

I wouldn't think it's common, but the dermatoligists office was always busy when I went, its not always overcast here, we get sun too, I work outside so that's an issue.

This was a few years ago, lets say I'm always on the lookout and hope I don't have that problem again, it cost me a few grand.

I now wear hats on sunny days and use the Highest spf sun lotion I can find, here we can get 100 spf.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to the group that owns the home my mother is in.
http://www.countrycourtcare.com/homepage.php
I think a direct approach may be the better route.

When I've asked people about their jobs they tend to get a bit cautious and tight lipped. Not that I suspect they have anything to hide but 1. too many exposé of retirement homes has caused official statements only and 2. I come across as a bit officious in my manner which fuels their caution to questions.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Do everything to protect yourself, I live in an overcast area and have had issues with skin cancer on my head, its no fun at all.
J.J (June) has recently had a benign growth on her forehead hairline possibly from sun exposure. She had local day surgery to remove it.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:55 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

FYI here is the advertisement from yesterday's local paper for that type of job.

http://jobs.scotsman.com/job/activit...803?src=search
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So I finally think I've lost my marbles. It was overcast all day today with a brisk breeze and I was loving it. Thought it couldn't get any better until it poured with rain just now. Think I'm ready for the British weather
Not the weather we're having at the moment though - it's snowing AGAIN with more forecast tomorrow. Where I'm renting, it's not too bad, but we bought a house up in the hills and can't get up there to meet the carpet fitters.

I had no idea we'd be in for this much snow - the weather this winter has been like New York although the snowfalls are not as deep and don't often require digging out the drive.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
FYI here is the advertisement from yesterday's local paper for that type of job.

http://jobs.scotsman.com/job/activit...803?src=search
Thank you, and John, for looking into this for me. It seems it will require some kind of certification and I'm just not that enthused. I will stick with my initial thought, which was museum gift shop/tour guide. I already have certification in Art Management.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Not the weather we're having at the moment though - it's snowing AGAIN with more forecast tomorrow. Where I'm renting, it's not too bad, but we bought a house up in the hills and can't get up there to meet the carpet fitters.

I had no idea we'd be in for this much snow - the weather this winter has been like New York although the snowfalls are not as deep and don't often require digging out the drive.
I have been following the weather and seeing pics on facebook. Hope this will not be the norm. But for some reason, I am still not put off
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:11 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Definitely, in fact I am very surprised. He's a keeper!
Also, I had better keep the electrician that I recently used as his hourly rate is £25
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:30 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Tonight will be the last night of broadcasting from BBC Broadcast House. BBC 4 is airing a special this evening @ 8.30pm which is billed as a trip down memory lane. Hope those that are not yet back can pick this up on their various devices.

Don't forget, Foyle's War returns this Sunday on ITV. I'll be watching that after one hour of Corrie. There is some "important" football game on tonight, so Corrie has been bumped to Sunday.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Tonight will be the last night of broadcasting from BBC Broadcast House. BBC 4 is airing a special this evening @ 8.30pm which is billed as a trip down memory lane. Hope those that are not yet back can pick this up on their various devices.

Don't forget, Foyle's War returns this Sunday on ITV. I'll be watching that after one hour of Corrie. There is some "important" football game on tonight, so Corrie has been bumped to Sunday.
Are you sure you are living in the UK, this sounds exactly like what happens here in America where sports rule.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 9:07 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Are you sure you are living in the UK, this sounds exactly like what happens here in America where sports rule.
Yes. I was assured that there would be less football on the TV (we don't have Sky) than we got in Canada. If the trend continues, I will put my foot down and send him off to the wee TV in the kitchen or the pub. I just get my knitting needles out. That helps to pass the time and the "click clacking" of the needles helps to drown out the tedious drone of the talking head analysis. My trusty iPad is always close at hand, just in case there is breaking news on BE

I console myself by thinking at least it is not ice hockey or American football which drag on for 3 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.