Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:28 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by windsong
I LOVE a good downpour. Don't seem to get them much at all in the midwest USA.
Definitely don't get them here in Arizona either...LOL People don't know what to do on those odd occasions and complain that it's cold and wet. I personally go outside and stand in it..lol. The world doesn't stop just because it rains..lol
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:48 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't complained about the weather since I have been back, but I really do wish it would stop snowing. It is lovely and sunny at the moment, but the forecast over the next few days is bleak. Our boiler broke down this morning and the plumber might be able to come later today, if not, it will be tomorrow. CURLEYTOPS, can your OH do some virtual plumbing/heating work?

The, taken for granted, comfort of a nice hot shower is out of the question until further notice. I'll be boiling kettles, just like in the olden days. Fortunately, we have an open fire in the living room, so that should keep us toasty this evening.

The radiator in the bedroom started making strange noises about a week ago, perhaps that was a sign that things were going wrong. I have never had radiators before, so I am absolutely clueless about how they and the boiler operate.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lf1
I haven't complained about the weather since I have been back, but I really do wish it would stop snowing. It is lovely and sunny at the moment, but the forecast over the next few days is bleak. Our boiler broke down this morning and the plumber might be able to come later today, if not, it will be tomorrow. CURLEYTOPS, can your OH do some virtual plumbing/heating work?

The, taken for granted, comfort of a nice hot shower is out of the question until further notice. I'll be boiling kettles, just like in the olden days. Fortunately, we have an open fire in the living room, so that should keep us toasty this evening.

The radiator in the bedroom started making strange noises about a week ago, perhaps that was a sign that things were going wrong. I have never had radiators before, so I am absolutely clueless about how they and the boiler operate.
Cheapest Way, we have found for those who need it, is Get a Gas Company Contract. Then when things do go wrong, nothing to pay, and all sorted. Applies to Electric too...(In England, they offer Water Supply & Sewers on the same contract.)
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Definitely don't get them here in Arizona either...LOL People don't know what to do on those odd occasions and complain that it's cold and wet. I personally go outside and stand in it..lol. The world doesn't stop just because it rains..lol
I am getting tired of the Florida sun and all the freckles on my arms. I am seriously concerned about skin cancer. I would be happy all the rest of my days if I only had overcast skies. OH not so much. I told him we could get one of those lamps if he felt he needed it
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Cheapest Way, we have found for those who need it, is Get a Gas Company Contract. Then when things do go wrong, nothing to pay, and all sorted. Applies to Electric too...(In England, they offer Water Supply & Sewers on the same contract.)
We have one of those on a rental house we own in UK, and although I pulled a face initially at the thought of paying monthly, it has been an absolute godsend. Well worth the £18 per month.
If1 once your boiler is fixed I would seriously recommend getting a service contract for the future
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1

If only it were that simple huh?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I am getting tired of the Florida sun and all the freckles on my arms. I am seriously concerned about skin cancer. I would be happy all the rest of my days if I only had overcast skies. OH not so much. I told him we could get one of those lamps if he felt he needed it
Do everything to protect yourself, I live in an overcast area and have had issues with skin cancer on my head, its no fun at all.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

So if there is such a job, and one I would need qualifications for, it would be good to know so I could investigate it further. In the meantime, I might just volunteer at my neighbourhood retirement living facility.
My mother is in a residential nursing home.
One of the staff there is the Activities Person, or as the residents call her, the Play Lady.

I asked her today about her job and it is mainly activities, games, vicars visit, bringing in the pet rabbit, wheeling old folks up the road (and back) a bit, chatting.
She does chip in with meal serving and general daytime assist but not in the personal care / hygiene aspect.
Her training is arranged through the nursing home management.

I notice also that the cleaning staff also chip in with meal service and such and will assist folks to move about if they need a supporting hand.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1

Are you sure the boiler is broken? When you open the cover, is there a light flashing? If so, it may just be that the pressure is low. The radiator may need bleeding, or you may need to just turn a release valve under the boiler ... mine has that problem about once or twice a year. It's one of those things you can call out a plumber for (probably £100 just to turn up), or it may be something simple like the above.

Not suggesting you should do any DIY on your boiler, but if I were you, I'd hang about while the plumber does the repairs in case it is something simple that you can remedy yourself next time. A trustworthy plumber will tell you if it's something like that but some wouldn't tell you, just so you call them out again next time and they can make some more money from you.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, I freckle something awful, I'm practically on first names basis with the Dermatologist, I'll be inviting him to Sunday dinner if I see much more of him. He has trimmed, burned and lazered away all manor of spots and patches it's awful. I'll be glad of the cool UK weather, long sleeve tees all summer if I have my way.
Poor Dh has had skin cancer removed on his face three times (different spots) Years of testing running boats up and down the river is coming back to haunt him.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:13 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Originally Posted by ElizabethK
We have one of those on a rental house we own in UK, and although I pulled a face initially at the thought of paying monthly, it has been an absolute godsend. Well worth the £18 per month.
If1 once your boiler is fixed I would seriously recommend getting a service contract for the future
Thanks. I'll crunch the numbers and see if makes sense for us. Local rates are pretty good. The local plumber has been and he fixed the problem for £30. Still going to light the fire, this evening and enjoy it.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:31 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Are you sure the boiler is broken? When you open the cover, is there a light flashing? If so, it may just be that the pressure is low. The radiator may need bleeding, or you may need to just turn a release valve under the boiler ... mine has that problem about once or twice a year. It's one of those things you can call out a plumber for (probably £100 just to turn up), or it may be something simple like the above.

Not suggesting you should do any DIY on your boiler, but if I were you, I'd hang about while the plumber does the repairs in case it is something simple that you can remedy yourself next time. A trustworthy plumber will tell you if it's something like that but some wouldn't tell you, just so you call them out again next time and they can make some more money from you.
DR,

I know exactly (well sort of) what you are you talking about. We had that problem with the pressure in the early days and when the plumber came out he explained to us how to deal with it. OH is in charge of that detail and has been keeping an eye on it and does the necessary when he has to.

I wasn't involved in the technical discussions today, but from what I understand there was not enough water getting through. Radiators and boiler have all been attended to and £30 later everything is up and running. As you say, a good plumber will tell you about the simple maintenance issues rather than charging you for a visit and this plumber came recommended from the locals. I think that trades in the smaller communities are especially careful about maintaining their reputations as they cannot hide in the anonymity of larger areas.

I know you can't do a straight translation on Cdn vs GBP, but that same call out would have cost me $125 just to get a plumber through the door.
So £30 seems like a bargain.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would get depressed with constant overcast skies. I thought that grey skies were wonderful after the sun in South Australia, but I'm now desperate for some sunshine. Not hot though.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
My mother is in a residential nursing home.
One of the staff there is the Activities Person, or as the residents call her, the Play Lady.

I asked her today about her job and it is mainly activities, games, vicars visit, bringing in the pet rabbit, wheeling old folks up the road (and back) a bit, chatting.
She does chip in with meal serving and general daytime assist but not in the personal care / hygiene aspect.
Her training is arranged through the nursing home management.

I notice also that the cleaning staff also chip in with meal service and such and will assist folks to move about if they need a supporting hand.
Funny you should mention that type of job. I saw that position advertised in the paper today and I thought "that sounds quite interesting". When you mentioned the pet rabbit it reminded me of a scheme they had in Calgary (sure it is common in many places) Volunteers would take their dogs into hospitals etc to visit patients/residents and I always wanted to get involved. Unfortunately, my dog would never have been approved as he didn't like to have his paws touched.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
DR,

I know exactly (well sort of) what you are you talking about. We had that problem with the pressure in the early days and when the plumber came out he explained to us how to deal with it. OH is in charge of that detail and has been keeping an eye on it and does the necessary when he has to.

I wasn't involved in the technical discussions today, but from what I understand there was not enough water getting through. Radiators and boiler have all been attended to and £30 later everything is up and running. As you say, a good plumber will tell you about the simple maintenance issues rather than charging you for a visit and this plumber came recommended from the locals. I think that trades in the smaller communities are especially careful about maintaining their reputations as they cannot hide in the anonymity of larger areas.

I know you can't do a straight translation on Cdn vs GBP, but that same call out would have cost me $125 just to get a plumber through the door.
So £30 seems like a bargain.
Definitely, in fact I am very surprised. He's a keeper!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.