Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I read so many of your comments on here Windsong of how you are longing to go back to UK, but I wonder if you have a time frame in mind? I only ask because I can tell in what you say on here that you will return one day, and I'm wondering what is stopping you from going asap? ( sorry if this is too nosey by the way )
Elizabeth - I had written a lengthy response here and then realized my message could possible show up in Google's search results - if anyone should ever decide to search for it - and so I am writing a private message to you instead.

Here is the "short" version of my response

I think that most of us, once we decide that we will go back "one day", have some planning to do and it often takes time.

My situation would be greatly eased if I could merely prep my pets, fly over and land on the doorstep of a family member for a few months; however, that "family member" doesn't exist. I have a half-sister whom I haven't seen since I was four years old. I have spent my life (most of it) in the USA; she has spent her life in the UK. She is my father's daughter from his first marriage. We are not close at all. Besides, even if she wanted to extend a welcoming hand to me, she can't because she now has her daughter and three teenage grandchildren living with her. (Her daughter lost her job). That means I am on my own for somewhere to live - which also means I need to cover my expenses (rent, etc.) for up to six months until I find a job over there.

Add to that the fact that I have been greatly affected by the decline in the economy in the USA and am currently unemployed, then you begin to understand the situation.

I had a fabulous job for many years but a shift in the company's management left me without one and it's been touch and go since then because of the downturn in the economy and job market. Even with all the skills I have, it is difficult to find jobs. I have also found that, in a bad economy, you are less likely to find a job if you are highly skilled. This has been my experience. In fact, I swore I was going to dye my hair blond and somehow adopt six kids and dumb down my resume

My plans are somewhat up in the air because of the business, too. How quickly we make money can also influence my return date. It could be in one year or it could be in two or three. I just don't know yet.

I want to be absolutely sure that when I go back to the UK I can withstand any eventuality

Last edited by windsong; Mar 18th 2013 at 1:45 am.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:55 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I had a fabulous job for many years but a shift in the company's management left me without one and it's been touch and go since then because of the downturn in the economy and job market. Even with all the skills I have, it is difficult to find jobs. I have also found that, in a bad economy, you are less likely to find a job if you are highly skilled. This has been my experience. In fact, I swore I was going to dye my hair blond and somehow adopt six kids and dumb down my resume

I want to be absolutely sure that when I go back to the UK I can withstand any eventuality
Had to respond to this. It is VERY true. I was told I was over qualified and I could not obtain work in my field. Interviewers either told me that I was considered too qualified for the positions I was trying for, or they felt I'd get bored too quickly if I took a lesser position. I also know of an accountant who was made redundant (soon to be family member, my daughter is marrying his son!) and he is actually now driving around delivering prescriptions for pharmacies, for minimum pay.

As for withstanding any eventually, you can never be 'absolutely sure' because circumstances change, things happen etc. So don't let that stop you coming back, because you may never be absolutely sure!

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Mar 18th 2013 at 2:28 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Rodney, I know you said you don't think of the USA much nowadays but does it seems as if those years you spent in the USA are far, far away from you now, like a distant and vague memory?

I often wonder how I will think of the USA once I am back in the UK.
Hi windsong,
Hmmmm well my gosh, well let me see, Hmmm good question!!!! well not really distant and vague in my memory, Ive been back only 2 years and three months now so for me its still early days, still not completely settled in England yet, well not in my mind anyway, lots of things that bug me still, ----- but will I ever go back to live in U.S. probably not!!! but life is strange, things do have the knack of changing even though you dont expect it, after all when I think of my life back in the States when I was young in my early 30's if someone asked me then do you think you will ever live in England again? I would have said a positive NO, and I would have said the same thing when I was in my 40's and 50's ------ but here I am back home, and loving it!!!! so you never know!!!!!
I had a happy life in America over my life, good Jobs making good money, in most cases good health insurance from employers,

All I can say is now Im in my very late 60's I would feel very scared and uncomfortable if I were still living in the States, mostly scared that I would have to try and make do with Medicare somehow ----- and hope to goodness that I did not get too darn sick too darn often
I really love the feeling that I have over here in UK ----- a lovely warm fuzzy feeling of utter and compleat peace!!!! the feeling of just knowing in my heart that as I get older and older through my life here, it dont matter how sick I get I will never be denied treatment, I can just pick up the phone and make an appointment with my GP, I love that feeling, and I cant believe I dont even have to pay a co-pay for my prescription drugs just because Im over 60
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney, this is a repeat question but do you still have an American accent? I would think not because you are completely immersed in the British culture. I think I mean by that is that you are not around Americans.
If you have a foreign accent and you talk to locals they could clam up thinking to themselves "he is an outsider and he's not one of us"

Any roast beef today for dinner?

Cheers
Well cheers it dont sound any different to me, I talk the same as I did in US, still got a yanky twang, people I think know Im not from here but I do feel that Im gradually blending in, I hope so, Im hoping one day in the future I may even meet a human who will become my friend
Yesterday I cooked a nice pork roast Joint for Sunday dinner, with roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots & broccoli, ---- next Sunday its going to be a nice roast Lamb with real fresh mint sauce lovely jubely.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Tonight, I am watching "Our Queen" and finding it very enjoyable. I am amused that the Queen doesn't travel too far without her handbag, even when at home. I laughed when David Cameron arrived for his weekly meeting and she made a point of picking up her handbag as he entered the room. You just can't trust ones Prime Minister with the contents of ones handbag What is contained in that handbag?
I think it's a brick
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:59 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I think it's a brick
Probably gold bullion in her case
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
/ That means a lot. We get such a bad rap in the news and as usual a few bad one's make the rest of us feel bad.

I would never, ever have said I would actually enjoy working with and for old people. I was always more an animal person. Totally dedicated to animals and campaigning for them. So everyone laughed when I said I was going to train to be a carer and I understood them laughing. But to everyone's surprise, especially mine I actually love old people and I love this work.
You know, I love talking to old people, reading to them and helping them to stretch and do mild exercise. But I would not be good at caring for them as far as personal hygiene and such. Is there a job I could train for that would be just for that kind of thing?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Probably gold bullion in her case
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:06 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I love talking to old people, reading to them and helping them to stretch and do mild exercise. But I would not be good at caring for them as far as personal hygiene and such. Is there a job I could train for that would be just for that kind of thing?
That is how I feel too, so I would love to hear what the responses are to your question. There are quite a few seniors in my local village choir and I really enjoy spending time with them. One of them is encouraging me to join the local WI, but I think it is one of the few things that I might be too young for
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
That is how I feel too, so I would love to hear what the responses are to your question. There are quite a few seniors in my local village choir and I really enjoy spending time with them. One of them is encouraging me to join the local WI, but I think it is one of the few things that I might be too young for
Well, I used to teach Zumba Gold for the over 50s but that was only for 6 months, and there was limited interaction. I was thinking of getting re-certified as I know it is as popular in the UK as it is in the US.

But I very much like the idea of spending time more as a companion, I suppose. I just met an 83 year old Scot the other night and he was telling me about his life, and I thought, was a great job this would be! And I loved reading to my daughter when she was young. Would enjoy reading to someone again who maybe doesn't have such good eyesight anymore.

So if there is such a job, and one I would need qualifications for, it would be good to know so I could investigate it further. In the meantime, I might just volunteer at my neighbourhood retirement living facility.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:20 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if there's a specific job that you could just do those things. I do know if you domiciliary care through an agency there are a LOT of clients who only need someone to shop, clean, read, hand them their meds type thing. But the majority of care work IS personal hygiene.

I honestly always said I KNEW I would not be able to handle personal care for the elderly. When I trained I thought ("oh it's ok, I will just work 'double ups' with someone who likes the personal care and I will do the rest") but it doesn't work like that and I had to do the personal stuff.

I was very embarrassed and uncomfortable the very first time I had to strip wash a client and toilet them. I thought "How can they possibly let me loose in this person's house to take care of them, I can't get through a day without dropping something, walking into something, etc, and I HATE showing my personal bits to strangers so how must this person feel".

But after the initial feeling you just get on with it. I get satisfaction from knowing I am helping someone to feel clean and fresh and to look their best.

You could always check with agencies about the type of carer they are looking for and tell them your preference. Give it a go...you never know, and if it turns out you hate it, at least you can say to yourself "I knew I knew myself well enough to know"
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
You could always check with agencies about the type of carer they are looking for and tell them your preference. Give it a go...you never know, and if it turns out you hate it, at least you can say to yourself "I knew I knew myself well enough to know"
Thank you so much, I will investigate further
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

For anyone interested, a new documentary on the Queen broadcast recently on ITV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=exhbFPlPNLE#!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:05 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

For anyone interested, a new documentary on the Queen broadcast recently on ITV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=exhbFPlPNLE#!
Keep your eyes peeled for the scene in Balmoral where the Queen is wearing a skirt that almost matches the carpet.
Yet again, she is guarding that handbag from David Cameron.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Keep your eyes peeled for the scene in Balmoral where the Queen is wearing a skirt that almost matches the carpet.
Yet again, she is guarding that handbag from David Cameron.
Well he's got to find the money somewhere to pay for all those "entitlements" right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.