British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong Mar 17th 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10608755)
Well I guess that's at least two of us then. I hardly ever visit Friends Reunited any more but I'll be forever grateful to that site :starsmile:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Perth Mar 17th 2013 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10608755)
Well I guess that's at least two of us then. I hardly ever visit Friends Reunited any more but I'll be forever grateful to that site :starsmile:

I'll have to look into that site. I did come across a friend from boarding school on facebook. We are both happily married now but each confessed we had had a crush on one another back then, but neither knew :D :p

Englishmum Mar 17th 2013 2:02 pm

FYI:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-8537856.html

cheers Mar 17th 2013 2:04 pm

Rodney, this is a repeat question but do you still have an American accent? I would think not because you are completely immersed in the British culture. I think I mean by that is that you are not around Americans.
If you have a foreign accent and you talk to locals they could clam up thinking to themselves "he is an outsider and he's not one of us"

Any roast beef today for dinner?

Cheers

J.JsOH Mar 17th 2013 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma (Post 10607573)
Now, no bones about it or sugar coating. HCA's or 'carers' is considered a low paid job here. No idea why, basically Tesco's delivery people are paid more an hour than we are. And we have to go through a lot of training. Health and Safety. Moving and Handling. Safe Handling. And in my case Dementia care and lots of other training. Why we are considered 'low skilled' workers is a mystery to me. And a lot of 'care workers' are given a bad rap because of the low pay, low skill stigma.
It really is not true. It takes a special love of people to be able to do what we do. And there was absolutely NO issue with me being the age I was when I decided to train. Signing up with an agency is a great way to get on the job training. They will teach you so much, then send you out on a 'shadow' with a trained member of staff. What you make of it then when you get out in the field is entirely up to you. I spent a few months doing 'domiciliary' care for people in the community. The care I provided was whatever the 'service user's' care package was combined of. Anything from bathing, toileting, feeding, moving, lifting, shopping for them, cleaning for them, helping them open their meds...a million other things. From that I decided I wanted to do more 'in house' work, ie staying at one place. So I went to a few care homes and helped out, through the agency, covering for absent care home staff.
I have NEVER done this type of work before. It's what we used to call Auxilliary nursing, and I always said I could never ever do it. But they were crying out for staff so I thought I'd give it a try as you get paid while training and if I didn't like it I'd leave.

Over a year later I am as I mentioned before, working at a nursing home and now training for my NVQ 3, (completely skipping the 1 and 2). Paid for by the government. The 'assessor' comes to me at work and assigns tasks which I either research or learn about online or already know through work.

On the news the other day they were talking about making it harder for 'unskilled or untrained' people to become carers, which is what they really need to do. Sooner or later we have to become recognised as skilled workers and start paying us more. :fingerscrossed::rofl:. Till then I am staying in this field of work. It's paying the bills. I do more hours than my better paid office worker friends. But I am NOT stressed and they are and I am getting my bills paid and living happily alone in my own little rented flat!
I had better shut up, I am waffling on.:unsure:

I totally admire the dedication and pleasant attitude of the carers in the nursing home where my mother is staying.

WhoFan63 Mar 17th 2013 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma (Post 10607597)
Ah you see you have it right. I 'wasted' a few months holding out for a 'well paid' (by UK standards) job thinking I wanted to get straight in and stay at a job for years. In the end I went for very low paid and completely different to what I planned. But as I said, I AM paying my bills, rent and food (great benefit of work is I get fed great food, roast dinners,cottage pie, apple pie, apple crumble, custard, rice pudding, toast, tea, coffee, etc at work :) so it saves me a ton on shopping, plus I am way to full to eat more than a sandwich when I'm home and I get to come home and watch great British telly (or American if I want because ALL the good American shows are over here) and I get five weeks holiday a year, paid, without having to accrue it. Stuff it, I may well just stay doing this work. Who knows. If the right office job came up I may consider it. Thing is, when you're here it's so much easier because you get to know more and more people, who know other people......!!:thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity I went online and found a web site something to do with 'first steps' for becoming a HCA. www.rcnhca.org.uk It has a full online training service where they go through everything and at the end you get a certificate. Probably not enough to get a job with, but a stepping stone at least. So even before I went through the entire course I sat the 'assessment' exam just to see and I was surprised to get a score of 75% (passed). I guess all these years in the medical industry have helped after all. :D Especially considering that the questions were all based on UK standards. :D

fulwood Mar 17th 2013 5:04 pm

Rodney - I can't believe you have been in UK over 2 years now! Time flies by..

Karrie72 Mar 17th 2013 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10608685)
For those going back home, this site might be useful. I subscribed about four years ago and have found quite a few of my friends from my school and university days. It's so good to feel that "once friends, always friends" - even 30 years later :)

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/

I used to love it, it was like the pre curser to Face Book. I checked it recently after a long absence and found two messages that were 6 years old from old school friends! I was so sad...I replied but never did hear hear back.

WhoFan63 Mar 17th 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10609402)
I used to love it, it was like the pre curser to Face Book. I checked it recently after a long absence and found two messages that were 6 years old from old school friends! I was so sad...I replied but never did hear hear back.

That is so sad ! That's the worst part about a web site like that...you have to keep going back on a regular basis, or else you could miss out on someone trying to contact you. In a way it's no different to Facebook in that you can miss a few days or so and go back to find all sorts of things have been going on without you..LOL

HighSpeedGrandma Mar 17th 2013 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10608948)
I totally admire the dedication and pleasant attitude of the carers in the nursing home where my mother is staying.

:thumbsup:/ That means a lot. We get such a bad rap in the news and as usual a few bad one's make the rest of us feel bad.

I would never, ever have said I would actually enjoy working with and for old people. I was always more an animal person. Totally dedicated to animals and campaigning for them. So everyone laughed when I said I was going to train to be a carer and I understood them laughing. But to everyone's surprise, especially mine I actually love old people and I love this work.
:regular_smile:

lf1 Mar 17th 2013 9:23 pm

The new season of "Foyle's War" starts next Sunday evening on ITV! I am one happy camper :D.

WhoFan63 Mar 17th 2013 9:24 pm

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10609543)
The new season of "Foyle's War" starts next Sunday evening on ITV! I am one happy camper :D.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lf1 Mar 17th 2013 9:36 pm

Tonight, I am watching "Our Queen" and finding it very enjoyable. I am amused that the Queen doesn't travel too far without her handbag, even when at home. I laughed when David Cameron arrived for his weekly meeting and she made a point of picking up her handbag as he entered the room. You just can't trust ones Prime Minister with the contents of ones handbag:lol: What is contained in that handbag?

windsong Mar 18th 2013 12:37 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10608784)
I'll have to look into that site. I did come across a friend from boarding school on facebook. We are both happily married now but each confessed we had had a crush on one another back then, but neither knew :D :p

It is so much fun to renew the bonds with old schoolmates. Of course, I still imagine them to look the same as they did when I knew them at university and high school, so it is always a shock when I see their present photos :) Truthfully, though, it is only a shock because it is a reminder of how much of my life I have spent in the USA. I feel I let life slide by, always waiting and waiting for the right time to go home, only now I know there IS no "right time". You just DO IT - when you can afford it of course.

ElizabethK Mar 18th 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10609738)
It is so much fun to renew the bonds with old schoolmates. Of course, I still imagine them to look the same as they did when I knew them at university and high school, so it is always a shock when I see their present photos :) Truthfully, though, it is only a shock because it is a reminder of how much of my life I have spent in the USA. I feel I let life slide by, always waiting and waiting for the right time to go home, only now I know there IS no "right time". You just DO IT - when you can afford it of course.

I read so many of your comments on here Windsong of how you are longing to go back to UK, but I wonder if you have a time frame in mind? I only ask because I can tell in what you say on here that you will return one day, and I'm wondering what is stopping you from going asap? ( sorry if this is too nosey by the way :) )