Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
So I read that you all are having snow.
Any reports?
In Pompey cheers its soooooo bitterly cold, it snowed for 24 hours Mon - Tues and it stuck pretty good, today -2 but feels like -7c or 25F, I looked at Las Vegas for today and it said a high of 86F and sunny Hmmmmm not bad for March, then I looked at New York and there low was 13F,
On the Cell phone issue ----- well when I came home I just walked into a Tesco Express store and picked up a real nice pay as u go phone for £12.95 and that included a £5 top up on the card, and its a real nice small flip top phone too,
so if you dont want internet or a camera thats all you need, good for phoning and Texting, nice & simple ----- just the way I like it now if you want to pay a couple of quid more I suppose you could buy a nice cell with a camera too!!!! and I still have same phone over two years later --- and it looks brand new still, I just charge it up now and then ---- and top it up with £10 every couple of months or so, yep your right I really dont use it much, but its nice to have one if your outside and need to call someone, but for all normal calls I always use the landline.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
In Pompey cheers its soooooo bitterly cold, it snowed for 24 hours Mon - Tues and it stuck pretty good, today -2 but feels like -7c or 25F, I looked at Las Vegas for today and it said a high of 86F and sunny Hmmmmm not bad for March, then I looked at New York and there low was 13F,
On the Cell phone issue ----- well when I came home I just walked into a Tesco Express store and picked up a real nice pay as u go phone for £12.95 and that included a £5 top up on the card, and its a real nice small flip top phone too,
so if you dont want internet or a camera thats all you need, good for phoning and Texting, nice & simple ----- just the way I like it now if you want to pay a couple of quid more I suppose you could buy a nice cell with a camera too!!!! and I still have same phone over two years later --- and it looks brand new still, I just charge it up now and then ---- and top it up with £10 every couple of months or so, yep your right I really dont use it much, but its nice to have one if your outside and need to call someone, but for all normal calls I always use the landline.
Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. I have so many phones now because I switch between carriers when I see one has a better rate than another.
Unlike the young ones I don't need a phone very much, much like you.
Cameras. I have so many of those also. Two are new and not used. I take pictures with my iPad and iPhone when I need to.
I was just thinking that the population of Portsmouth, where you live, is about the same as Las Vegas? I think they have had 32 homicides in Las Vegas so far this year.

http://vegasmurderwatch.com/

Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I need to clarify something.
When I come over and need a cellphone all I need to do is go to Tesco or similar shop and I can get one real cheap? Yea or ney?
Cheers - is this one cheap enough for you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...le-just-1.html
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. I have so many phones now because I switch between carriers when I see one has a better rate than another.
Unlike the young ones I don't need a phone very much, much like you.
Cameras. I have so many of those also. Two are new and not used. I take pictures with my iPad and iPhone when I need to.
I was just thinking that the population of Portsmouth, where you live, is about the same as Las Vegas? I think they have had 32 homicides in Las Vegas so far this year.

http://vegasmurderwatch.com/

Cheers

The big advantage with the Tesco one is that there is no expiry on the credit, so you just keep using it till it runs out, great if. like us. you use one very infrequently.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:31 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The big advantage with the Tesco one is that there is no expiry on the credit, so you just keep using it till it runs out, great if. like us. you use one very infrequently.
This is what I have, and it suits me fine. I, too, don't use a mobile much. (I just had to hunt for mine. It was in the backpack I last used three weeks ago!)

But I bought a more expensive one with a slide out keyboard because can't text using the number pad. When abroad, texting is simplest and cheapest.

Bev
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I am 60 years old and have had a smartphone for four years now. I don't use the phone part much over all, although there are times when I use it a lot. It is like having a mini computer and very handy if you run a business and don't have a computer with you. I use it for texting which I do when I don't feel like talking. I use it for Internet, weather, etc.

One thing I don't like about having a smartphone or cell phone in the USA is that everyone "expects" you to be accessible after working hours if necessary. I often switch off (or forward calls into oblivion) my phone on weekends for this purpose. I refuse to be controlled by electronics. Some people have even said to me, if I don't respond to a phone call or email within the hour, that I am not easy to get hold off which is rubbish. They simply have no boundaries between work and personal life. I simply refuse to let it rule my life.

If I didn't have a smartphone, I would really miss it. If I go to the grocery store and realize I forgot my phone, I have to run home to get it - just in case In all honesty, most of it is luxury. If you have a phone that makes calls and does texting, that's really all you need. When I go back to the UK, this what I will probably have instead of a smartphone. However, a smartphone allows you to download free apps that allow you to talk internationally for free - Skype, Tango, etc.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 13th 2013 at 2:52 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

The ED Schultz show is interesting tonight... watch it if you get a chance, I know msnbc is not availble to everyone, still you should try to watch tonights show if you can, the man who shot Romneys "47% video" is going public, this is his first interview.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:14 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;10601269]I am 60 years old and have had a smartphone for four years now. I don't use the phone part much over all, although there are times when I use it a lot. It is like having a mini computer and very handy if you run a business and don't have a computer with you. I use it for texting which I do when I don't feel like talking. I use it for Internet, weather, etc.

I am just like this. I'm 50 this week (yikes!), so hardly young, but my iPhone is with me everywhere. I use it to take all the photos on my blog, I take video, I text friends (even my least tech-savvy friends text), I use tons of apps, and we often use it as a GPS when we're out walking or shopping in an unfamiliar town. The Skype app makes me accessible to American business colleagues when I'm out and about. Plus when I'm bored, I play Solitaire on it In America, I just had a standard cheap phone but I couldn't go back to that now. The iPhone wasn't cheap but as far as value for money, it's one of the best things I've ever bought.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Mar 14th 2013 at 9:17 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I am just like this. I'm 50 this week (yikes!), so hardly young, but my iPhone is with me everywhere. I use it to take all the photos on my blog, I take video, I text friends (even my least tech-savvy friends text), I use tons of apps, and we often use it as a GPS when we're out walking or shopping in an unfamiliar town. The Skype app makes me accessible to American business colleagues when I'm out and about. Plus when I'm bored, I play Solitaire on it In America, I just had a standard cheap phone but I couldn't go back to that now. The iPhone wasn't cheap but as far as value for money, it's one of the best things I've ever bought.
Happy Birthday, Louise, and welcome to the best half of your life! You pics on your blog are fabulous. Could you share where you got your phone and the plan you use?

May I also convey my condolences on the passing of your grandmother. I'm sure she was a very special lady, and I am glad you were there to spend time with her.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sallysimmons;10602979]
Originally Posted by windsong
I am 60 years old and have had a smartphone for four years now. I don't use the phone part much over all, although there are times when I use it a lot. It is like having a mini computer and very handy if you run a business and don't have a computer with you. I use it for texting which I do when I don't feel like talking. I use it for Internet, weather, etc.

You know, I am not really sure I could go back to a cell phone either now. Even though I said that's what I would probably do when I return to the UK, I am not at all sure I will do it. In truth, I probably don't want to It's like my right arm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:19 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=windsong;10603718]

You know, I am not really sure I could go back to a cell phone either now. Even though I said that's what I would probably do when I return to the UK, I am not at all sure I will do it. In truth, I probably don't want to It's like my right arm.
That's why I made sure my IPhone was unlocked so I could use a pre-paid SIM in the UK. I just couldn't live without my IPhone because it does everything I need it to. I don't think I could go back to just a basic mobile/cell phone.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;10603718]

You will be in good company in UK with your smart phone, lots people have them.
But I severed from mine with no problem, I used to be betrothed to the thing and now I have abandoned it I feel more free without. OH and I have a shared pay-as-you-go basic mobile phone just-in-case!!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
The ED Schultz show is interesting tonight... watch it if you get a chance, I know msnbc is not availble to everyone, still you should try to watch tonights show if you can, the man who shot Romneys "47% video" is going public, this is his first interview.
Did see it Fish. What an extraordinary man. So glad he was there. He may have singlehandedly determined the outcome of the election
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=J.JsOH;10603887]
Originally Posted by windsong

You will be in good company in UK with your smart phone, lots people have them.
But I severed from mine with no problem, I used to be betrothed to the thing and now I have abandoned it I feel more free without. OH and I have a shared pay-as-you-go basic mobile phone just-in-case!!
I am betrothed to mine, too. That word explains it in a nutshell The only problem is that other people seem to think I should be accessible 24/7 and I don't like that. In fact, that would be the reason I would get rid of it - if I ever do!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I've just been browsing around the TV iPlayers and looked at the children's programs I see Sooty and Sweep are still there One thing I do not see, though, are programs like William Tell, Lassie, Robin Hood and Ivanhoe that usually aired around 5 pm or 6 pm at night when I was growing up. They were for children older than nursery school and the first few years of primary school but it seems there is nothing for this age group nowadays - or am I missing them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.