Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Cheers. Tippawan, applied for a Married persons Visa, which I think many have called a Spousal Visa, although the Border Agency did not call it that, at the time. - It says on it, Limited Leave to Remain, with no access to public funds. ( it was valid for 24 months, with a three months extension, during which she was required to apply for a full settlement visa, and undergo the requirements for a Biometric residents permit) She applied for, and got, a National Insurance Card. We have just applied for Settlement, and have to wait for up to six months, for the decision to be made. - Hope it all goes well. The last rule change, came in to force in July 2012, with Updates, in December.
Thanks for the update. I needed to know if the question comes up in my situation. I don't want get going on the fairness of the whole situation. Bulgarians can just walk in or will be able too soon. Nothing against Bulgarias. More about Brussels, you understand.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
You're so welcome, truly amazing site isn't it?

I just spent the night in an Irish Pub, with two Irish friends who think I'm bonkers to want to go home. They guarantee I'll end up back here having hated it back home. They sounded so convinced! I got a little scared
I had a major case of the wobbles last night and ended up in tears, so my DH had to go out and get me some ice cream to cheer me up

And we are not planning on leaving for 3 more years

We are going to a British expats meet-up for the first time for st patty's day. I'd better develop a thicker skin by then
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So I read that you all are having snow.
Any reports?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

I need to clarify something.
When I come over and need a cellphone all I need to do is go to Tesco or similar shop and I can get one real cheap? Yea or ney?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I had a major case of the wobbles last night and ended up in tears, so my DH had to go out and get me some ice cream to cheer me up

And we are not planning on leaving for 3 more years

We are going to a British expats meet-up for the first time for st patty's day. I'd better develop a thicker skin by then
Yes, I've got three-four years left too. Sometimes it seems like a pipe-dream but I hope not. But even if it all goes to plan, it's a major life-event
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
They are just so convinced themselves, their wants and needs may be different to yours, they may love it here forever, many people do, but some just need time to get over it and reality sinks in...

I'm not saying you can go back home and everything that be just as you left it, things change over time, but for some people the changes back home are easier to adjust to than staying here...

Dont be convinced by me or others, just follow your gut feeling...
Thanks Fish...yes one of these friends actually did go home, convinced the husband and kids to go. The shipping container hadn't even arrived back and she'd realized what a huge mistake they'd made. What an awful feeling that must be.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I need to clarify something.
When I come over and need a cellphone all I need to do is go to Tesco or similar shop and I can get one real cheap? Yea or ney?
Yea - check carphone warehouse too.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

So I read that you all are having snow.
Any reports?
We've run the gamut here in Scarborough since around 7:30 am. One minute it's hailing & snowing like mad, very dark & overcast, next minute we've got blue sky & brilliant sunshine and vice versa. No snow lying on the ground, very windy, temp. currently 0C.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fish...yes one of these friends actually did go home, convinced the husband and kids to go. The shipping container hadn't even arrived back and she'd realized what a huge mistake they'd made. What an awful feeling that must be.
What happened
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Montfan...

In the past I've know a few people that went back n forth a few times...

I can understand the frustration with your friend, we did something similar, we sold everything, home, cars etc and sent all our personal stuff back in 89, I got two jobs one after the other and never actually started, (a big let down, never a word to say they had changed their minds), The six wooden trunks I built sat in a warehouse in Oxford for 7 months, I didn't get a job and so we returned to the USA where we where our old employers rehired us...

Maybe your friend should have took a trip back just to see if its what he/she really wanted... maybe they will change their mind again after a while...

Its never the same going back, and after living in a place like the USA where we have a "can do" attitude it can feel a little daunting, most people in the UK seem to have a negative "you cant do that" attitude...

You really need to be positive that you want to go back or it can cost you a lot of money and heartache... Its not easy, even now I wonder if it will ever happen for us, the days and years go by, its what we both want, but will we be able to afford it, there are so many details, I feel safer in the UK and the healthcare situation is a major deal for me, I only see the healthcare situation here getting worse, certainly not better...

When I go back I vision myself living there, I never think about the USA, I just imagine what it would be like now and as an older person, you have to look 20 yrs down the road and think how life will be in both places, Factor in kids and grandkids then decide... Would I miss things about the USA, sure I would, many things including my family, but I'm living that way now missing the UK...
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Here on my Scottish island we are having bright sunshine while that other big island next door is covered in snow. "Schadenfreude ist die beste Freude."
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Here on my Scottish island we are having bright sunshine while that other big island next door is covered in snow. "Schadenfreude ist die beste Freude."
We don't use that kind of language around here
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Montfan...

In the past I've know a few people that went back n forth a few times...
Similar....she couldn't stand the US and went back to Merthyr Tydfil. She was back in the US like a shot. Enough said. She was about 25 years old at the time and I think she had lived in San Francisco about 3 years.

What am I saying? As others have said you have to think a lot about the move.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
We've run the gamut here in Scarborough since around 7:30 am. One minute it's hailing & snowing like mad, very dark & overcast, next minute we've got blue sky & brilliant sunshine and vice versa. No snow lying on the ground, very windy, temp. currently 0C.
Thanks for the update. 7C here and beautiful blue skies. (did you say shut up!?) 28C (82F) by Thursday.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Similar....she couldn't stand the US and went back to Merthyr Tydfil. She was back in the US like a shot. Enough said. She was about 25 years old at the time and I think she had lived in San Francisco about 3 years.

What am I saying? As others have said you have to think a lot about the move.
Hmmmm US vs UK, San Francisco vs Merthyr ... I think I see the "Why" of her decision. If she had relocated somewhere else in the UK, she might not have ping-ponged so fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.