Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue
lf1, dunroving and Mummy in the foothills.....Thankyou for the replies I shall take a look and see what I can find out when I get the answer I will post it for others.

update on Non Returning Ex-Pat.

I have been packing all week for the move to our new home. We close on Monday and move in on Friday. Could not stay with daughter any longer she has put her life on hold for over a year and been so very good. I have mixed feelings about the move glad to see my possesions once again but sad that we are not home. But there is always the future as I was made aware of by many and dunroving gave me the names of some very good books to read.
Have to shop for all the electric goods I either gave away or sold
All the best for your move to your new home. I know it isn't what you really want and you would much prefer to be moving into your new home in England, but I hope everything goes well for you and you find contentment. I think that you mentioned you will be living near the ocean - that sounds wonderful.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
All the best for your move to your new home. I know it isn't what you really want and you would much prefer to be moving into your new home in England, but I hope everything goes well for you and you find contentment. I think that you mentioned you will be living near the ocean - that sounds wonderful.
I hoe there are lots of extended trips to England in Trotty's future.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I would welcome this too I posted this link a while back that gives cost comparisons between certain cities from data submitted by public contributors. It could maybe serve as a start to determine what to include in your spreadsheet.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...United+Kingdom
That is an amazing website, thanks have bookmarked it!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
That is an amazing website, thanks have bookmarked it!
Off topic but I somehow stumbled upon the most amazing web-site called VPike. I just spent two hours trawling around the town of my childhood. It was amazing to see many of the same shops from 20 years ago! A very nostalgic experience...
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:16 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Well it doesn't cover everywhere by any means, but it's a good start. Also, it is gives city costs, and many on here are moving to smaller towns and villages. It could certainly be improved upon.
Those might be a good guideline, but I'm not sure how accurate they are having run the numbers on two cities I know quite well. They claim that the cost to buy a city centre flat in Leeds is 13% higher than in Manchester, which just doesn't seem possible. I'm also very wary (to say the least!) of the claim that people in Manchester have 44% less purchasing power than people in Leeds. It's a little bit more expensive yes, but not that much!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Those might be a good guideline, but I'm not sure how accurate they are having run the numbers on two cities I know quite well. They claim that the cost to buy a city centre flat in Leeds is 13% higher than in Manchester, which just doesn't seem possible. I'm also very wary (to say the least!) of the claim that people in Manchester have 44% less purchasing power than people in Leeds. It's a little bit more expensive yes, but not that much!
That site was not at all accurate when I looked at it previously for LA.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:20 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Off topic but I somehow stumbled upon the most amazing web-site called VPike. I just spent two hours trawling around the town of my childhood. It was amazing to see many of the same shops from 20 years ago! A very nostalgic experience...
Thank you so much for posting about VPike. I have just spent the last few minutes taking a literal walk down memory lane of where I grew up in Lancashire and had fond memories of my Dad telling me 'oh go play on the Motorway'...which to his surprise I did....at the age of 5 climbing the hill at the back of our house to sit on the side of the M58 LOL
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That site was not at all accurate when I looked at it previously for LA.
I should have reposted my caveat to this link as well as the link itself. I did originally stress that it was not scientific and made up of online contributions. Sorry that it is so inaccurate though. I wonder if there is a more reliable source available.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this. So much more user-friendly than google maps
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at the village where I grew up on VPike.com - terrific site! However, this is the first time I have been able to get a good look at the street where I lived as a young child. The house is still there but the quiet country lane that backed on to it is gone - replaced by a tree hedging beyond which is a motorway! That little lane was beautiful. There was a small farm not too far away and the odd duck used to walk down that country lane. It was ever so peaceful with all the birds chirping. Now it's all gone. Progress???? We moved from there when I was 11 years old but it still holds precious memories for me.

Sometimes when I think back to the years when I was a little girl, those days seem SO real. Perhaps it is because I think of them so much because I miss home. It is almost frightening to see that it exists only in my mind now. We hold those memories so close and they are real to us but in reality those places no longer exists in the way we knew them. Every year that we are homesick we pine to "go back" to the home we knew, forgetting that time advances and gradually changes are made to those places, and when you see them again after, say, 30 years, those changes are significant. It is blow!

Last edited by windsong; Mar 10th 2013 at 10:13 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for this. So much more user-friendly than google maps
You're so welcome, truly amazing site isn't it?

I just spent the night in an Irish Pub, with two Irish friends who think I'm bonkers to want to go home. They guarantee I'll end up back here having hated it back home. They sounded so convinced! I got a little scared
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

You're so welcome, truly amazing site isn't it?

I just spent the night in an Irish Pub, with two Irish friends who think I'm bonkers to want to go home. They guarantee I'll end up back here having hated it back home. They sounded so convinced! I got a little scared
They are just so convinced themselves, their wants and needs may be different to yours, they may love it here forever, many people do, but some just need time to get over it and reality sinks in...

I'm not saying you can go back home and everything that be just as you left it, things change over time, but for some people the changes back home are easier to adjust to than staying here...

Dont be convinced by me or others, just follow your gut feeling...
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know how long the Irish have been living here. That may say something.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Don,
How long have you been back in England?. What kind of a visa did you need for your good wife? Have they changed the ruling since you got here?

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Don,
How long have you been back in England?. What kind of a visa did you need for your good wife? Have they changed the ruling since you got here?

Cheers
Hello Cheers. Tippawan, applied for a Married persons Visa, which I think many have called a Spousal Visa, although the Border Agency did not call it that, at the time. - It says on it, Limited Leave to Remain, with no access to public funds. ( it was valid for 24 months, with a three months extension, during which she was required to apply for a full settlement visa, and undergo the requirements for a Biometric residents permit) She applied for, and got, a National Insurance Card. We have just applied for Settlement, and have to wait for up to six months, for the decision to be made. - Hope it all goes well. The last rule change, came in to force in July 2012, with Updates, in December.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.