Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dunroving
I enjoy it too, but I feel it's becoming a bit too Blue Peter-ish (Matt Baker: "Cor, can I have a go at driving that?")

I really like the presenter Adam though (he does the section caled "Adam's Farm"). He actually understands the country whereas a lot of these other presenters are (I think) hired for their good looks and trendy presenting style. Overall, though, it is a good program, I just wish the producers would remember it's watched primarily by adults, not 7-year-olds.
Matt Baker owns and runs a farm, Julia Bradshaw is very active in countryside matters and has a lot to do with rambling etc. All the presenters do have credentials regarding farming and countryside matters, none are hired for their presenting skills alone.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by happyglow
It's a possibility! I remember thinking how big the toilets are in Canada when I first arrived.

I can't believe how many rentals don't have a dishwasher. It's barbaric!
We have one, but personally I never use it. Waste of Electric and water. Maybe if we had parties. But otherwise, NO
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
We have one, but personally I never use it. Waste of Electric and water. Maybe if we had parties. But otherwise, NO
A dishwasher is nice to have but it would be way down my list of priorities in the overall return to the UK, I think.

I am now asking myself what things I may have come to take for granted while living in the USA and what I will have to sacrifice when I return to the UK. I hope I don't go back to the dark ages!

Smaller rooms I can handle
No dishwasher - I can deal with that if I have to
Kitchen must be decent, though
Bathroom must be decent, too
No 70s, 80s, 90s (or even earlier) decor

I am not planning to have a car in the UK, at least not for a while. The only thing I think I would miss it for is weekend driving to the countryside to see the UK and it is a big expense to have just for that.

The funny thing is I think I would find it strange to get used to having a stand-alone wardrobe in my bedroom. I am SO used to built-in or walk-in closets in the USA.

What else do I have to get used to over there?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

crappy plumbing/mixer taps and those dinky little showers that are all too prevalent in rental properties here top my list of gripes
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windsong
A dishwasher is nice to have but it would be way down my list of priorities in the overall return to the UK, I think.

I am now asking myself what things I may have come to take for granted while living in the USA and what I will have to sacrifice when I return to the UK. I hope I don't go back to the dark ages!

I am not planning to have a car in the UK, at least not for a while. The only thing I think I would miss it for is weekend driving to the countryside to see the UK and it is a big expense to have just for that.

The funny thing is I think I would find it strange to get used to having a stand-alone wardrobe in my bedroom. I am SO used to built-in or walk-in closets in the USA.

Bedroom Furniture is all built in, but of course, if you go for a small cottage , then there will be no built in fitments. - but most are very cheap to heat!- If you went for a small detached, say no more than 15 years old, you could start out by renting for about £600 per month. - most expense is the Council tax - which in our case, being a four bedroomed, with garage, that is currently running at £1400 per annum - payable over 10 months. - I can only price regarding Shropshire, other counties, may be more. Don
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
crappy plumbing/mixer taps and those dinky little showers that are all too prevalent in rental properties here top my list of gripes
If you have crappy plumbing, take out a maintenance contract with British Gas, and they will fix for free.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:09 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

No electrical sockets in the bathroom. I have a devil of a time remembering to recharge my electric toothbrush as the charger is in another room.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
No electrical sockets in the bathroom. I have a devil of a time remembering to recharge my electric toothbrush as the charger is in another room.
Electrical Sockets IN A BATHROOM? are you joking - thoroughly dangerous

Still, I suppose must be good for a fry-up!!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Common place in Canada. All attached to a circuit interrupter.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
How do you dry your hair?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Ugh!!! This is one thing that concerns me about rental properties - less than up-to-date features and barest of bare.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:39 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

I have to trek all the way into the bedroom. I am finally used to doing that, but it did take a bit of adjustment. The other thing I am still struggling with is remembering to turn out the bathroom light. The bathroom light switches are located outside of the bathroom and I am forever, closing the bathroom door and carrying on downstairs, without turning the light off.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:57 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Stick your head out of the window, and let the wind dry it!

We stayed at my cousin's house, and 4 different hotels last summer.
Plumbing is a problem, i.e. mixer taps (hate those). I take a battery operated toothbrush, instead of my electric one, so that solves that problem. The hotels had hair dryers in them (in the wall). One hotel had a box-like toilet, and we rushed in the room, used the toilet, and the handle fell off before we could flush. Couldn't get in it to fix it. Another hotel (at the airport), the toilet wouldn't flush properly. Had to change rooms in both hotels.

In another old world character hotel in Devon, the floors were uneven, and the shower had a glass bi-fold door. The door kept falling out on top of us. In that hotel the first morning they ran out of hot water before we got a shower.

In two hotels they advertised WiFi, but it never did work. One hotel we had to buy WIFI. One hotel WIFI worked great.

We had early dinner in one 4-star hotel and plaice was a "special" on the menu. We both ordered the plaice. I got plaice, but my USC husband was told they didn't have any more plaice.

We had a great time, but plumbing can be quirky!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Ugh!!! This is one thing that concerns me about rental properties - less than up-to-date features and barest of bare.
We own a rental property in Wirral (North West England) and it's very much up to date We just had a brand new bathroom installed last year- all very clean and modern. Don't be too worried, there are some lovely properties up for rent out there!

Also if you're worried about drying your hair with the lack of plugs in the bathroom, maybe just get an extension cord and plug it in in the bedroom then dry it in the bathroom! It's never been a big deal for us when we go to UK for holidays
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:05 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

In the US the electric in the bathroom is 110 not 220. All the plugs in bathrooms have a special thing on them that makes them shut down if even a spot of water gets on them. There is a red button to restart it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.