Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Rosie

It is not looking good.

You should PM Pollyanna the moderator on here, she actually works for the government body Emergency Management Queensland in charge of warnings for all this kind of thing. There are whole threads on the Aussie forum about this coming cyclone.

Hope your brother stays safe.
Polly just posted this on the Cyclone thread:

Transmitters broadcasting to coastal areas between Cape Melville to
Sarina and inland areas east of Croydon to Hughenden are requested to USE THE STANDARD EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNAL before broadcasting this warning.
TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 11
Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane
Issued at 5:01am EST on Wednesday the 2nd of February 2011

A Cyclone WARNING is current for island and coastal areas from Cape Melville and Sarina, extending inland to Croydon and Hughenden.

A Cyclone WATCH is current for coastal areas from the remaining tropical
interior east of Camooweal and north of Winton.

At 4:00 am EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be 650 kilometres east northeast of Cairns and 650 kilometres northeast of Townsville moving west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TC YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA, ESPECIALLY BETWEEN PORT DOUGLAS AND TOWNSVILLE.

THIS IMPACT IS LIKELY TO BE MORE LIFE THREATENING THAN ANY EXPERIENCED DURING RECENT GENERATIONS.

The Cyclone has now reached CATEGORY 5 and will continue to move in a
west-southwesterly direction during today.

Coastal residents within the warning, and particularly between Port Douglas and Townsville are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS sea level rise [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches and crosses the coast. The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING WAVES, strong currents and flooding of low-lying areas extending some way inland. People living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much as possible, and be prepared to follow instructions regarding evacuation of the area if advised to do so by authorities.

DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr are expected to develop on coastal islands later this morning, then extend onto the coast during the day, and further inland across the northern tropical interior overnight.

Between Cooktown and Ingham these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE with gusts in excess of 125km/hr during the afternoon and VERY DESTRUCTIVE with gusts above 280 km/hr between Port Douglas and Cardwell during the evening as the cyclone approaches. These VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds can also occur on the seaward side of hills to the north of the cyclone and are also forecast to reach the Atherton Tablelands.

FLOODING RAINS will develop from Cooktown to Sarina during the afternoon and then extend inland overnight.

People between Cape Melville and Sarina, extending inland to Croydon and
Hughenden should complete preparations quickly and be prepared to shelter in a safe place.
- Boats and outside property should be secured.
- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster
Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on
132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on
buildings or roof damage].

People about the remaining tropical interior east of Camooweal and north of
Winton should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat
increases.
- Information is available from your local government
- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster
Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on
132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on
buildings or roof damage].

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 4:00 am EST:
.Centre located near...... 15.7 degrees South 151.7 degrees East
.Location accuracy........ within 20 kilometres
.Recent movement.......... towards the west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour
.Wind gusts near centre... 295 kilometres per hour
.Severity category........ 5
.Central pressure......... 924 hectoPascals

Please ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message,
particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Thank you everyone who sent information and good wishes. My son in Melbourne is distraught about his uncle (my brother) as he feels helpless - as does everyone when there is an emergency of this magnitude. After the fact, maybe he can help. I shall doubtless be up all night watching the Australian news.. Thank god for the Internet, and telephones.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

2at thanks for update on Haddon Hall.. will make sure to visit it..
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thank you everyone who sent information and good wishes. My son in Melbourne is distraught about his uncle (my brother) as he feels helpless - as does everyone when there is an emergency of this magnitude. After the fact, maybe he can help. I shall doubtless be up all night watching the Australian news.. Thank god for the Internet, and telephones.
Hi Rosie,
I really hope you get news of your brother soon and that he is safe.
My thoughts are with you. David
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Sign you are "officially" old in the US. AARP membership. bloody got one in mail today. enough said..
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Rosie,
Thanks David. I am on the internet constantly - have a brother in Canada and a son in Melbourne, both of whom are linked with me here. Seems the worst has passed, but no news yet about the state of the area - tomorrow or the next day I guess reports will start coming out. The power is off there at the moment. it was not as bad as predicted, because the eye missed Cairns - but hit lower down the coast. Its a Category 2 now, with a huge tail containing high winds - and probably high tides! (sorry - couldn't resist!)
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman210 glad you are still on forum had read on other thread you were leaving. please don't i like reading your emails about your life back home..
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Sign you are "officially" old in the US. AARP membership. bloody got one in mail today. enough said..
You only have to be 50, right?

What are the perks? Free access to the Glamorous Grandma and Granddad site?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks David. I am on the internet constantly - have a brother in Canada and a son in Melbourne, both of whom are linked with me here. Seems the worst has passed, but no news yet about the state of the area - tomorrow or the next day I guess reports will start coming out. The power is off there at the moment. it was not as bad as predicted, because the eye missed Cairns - but hit lower down the coast. Its a Category 2 now, with a huge tail containing high winds - and probably high tides! (sorry - couldn't resist!)

I hope you hear from your brother soon - it must be agony not knowing anything. That was one powerful storm - Mother Nature can be deadly at times!!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Rosie,
I hope you have heard he is safe, the cyclone crossed the coast and lots of people are without power, that probably why you havent heard.

There is lots of damage but no injury or loss of life has been reported as yet,

best wishes
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you hear something soon it is so worrying and they will be worried that you are worrying. We were the same when we were hit in 2004 we were without power for 10 days in our area.Positive thoughts everything will be fine.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You only have to be 50, right?

What are the perks? Free access to the Glamorous Grandma and Granddad site?
What? 50? Not bloody likely, they are trying to push us all into an early grave Thats the year we hope to be moving home. at 50, I hope the UK doesn't think we are over the hill and make us join SAGA or something.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What? 50? Not bloody likely, they are trying to push us all into an early grave Thats the year we hope to be moving home. at 50, I hope the UK doesn't think we are over the hill and make us join SAGA or something.
Sorry love, in the States you are officially old at 50:

http://www.aarp.org/

Hate to tell you but same in the UK:

http://www.saga.co.uk/

- you are now officially a wrinkly!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I got one as soon as I turned 50 (7 years ago). I have never got around to joining, although I have been told I am missing out on "perks" - not sure what perks!! I think they need to change the name - AARP - the name just doesn't suit any more. Let's face it - how many of us can afford to retire at 50? The way things are going here, I'm probably going to be working until I'm 70!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dunroving, if there is such a site Im sure I will see you on there - grandad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.