British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Englishman43 Apr 29th 2011 10:25 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9333990)
Actually I thought she looked rather a mess (unless I've mixed her up with someone else). Was she the one with her hair pulled back with a scrunchie (rubber band)? At least that's what it looked like to me.

You're right she did look a bit dodgey

jasper123 Apr 29th 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9333755)
He is a famous rugby player LOL!! :D

No I think his name is Bekcham or something like that --- hes a famous UK soccer player, loads of money, did you notice his wife with that really super weird hat with that 2 foot pin or something going through it, and OH what a snob :thumbdown: her husband was smiling at everyone and she looked as though she was the freaking cats whiskers, if she held her nose up in the air anymore she would have a stiff neck for a week,

And the American reporters dont like to use that word commoner when referring to Kate, instead they said this ---- Kate is an elegant young woman of NON NOBLE BLOOD, ---- I really like that :)

sallysimmons Apr 29th 2011 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9334034)

And the American reporters dont like to use that word commoner when referring to Kate, instead they said this ---- Kate is an elegant young woman of NON NOBLE BLOOD, ---- I really like that :)

Also, if she's a commoner with her money and background, what does that make the rest of us? :eek:

cheers Apr 29th 2011 10:36 pm

---- Kate is an elegant young woman of NON NOBLE BLOOD, ---- I really like that :)

Lets wait awhile before we start a thread for "None Noble Bloods";)

jasper123 Apr 29th 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9333923)
Lovely Jubbly wasn't it ?

Was Harry there with his South African chick ( shes rather a hottie ) ?

Where are they jaunting off to for the honeymoon ?

Wales

cheers Apr 29th 2011 10:41 pm

This is Victoria Beckham.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...arp-black.html

jasper123 Apr 29th 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9333295)
Oh wow that was just so moving!! I am so very proud to be British today, can't say as I am a Royalist as such, but I just love the pomp and ceremony and the history. Every monarch bar two have been crowned in Westminster Abbey since 1066 (according to the commentary). Astounding!!

Barb I agree it was a wonderful day, would not have missed it for the world,
I also love all the pomp and tradition, you should have seen my Mum she just couldn't get enough :)
Barb 1066 THAT was the battle of hastings ----- I remember my history :)

dunroving Apr 29th 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9334051)
I also love all the pomp and tradition, you should have seen my Mum she just couldn't get enough :)

Yes, the Abbey was built by William the Conqueror.

bandrui Apr 29th 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9334051)

The last 4 digit s of my phone number are 1065. I always say "the year before the Battle of Hastings" but most people don't have a clue when that was. :huh::rofl:

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 24 hours. What a fantastic day it has been. The wedding was glorious and I, like many of you, am so proud to be British. Noone can do pomp and circumstance like the Brits. I found it all very moving and heartwarming. The positive atmosphere and the joining together of people of many ages from all backgrounds was a remarkable thing.
I found it interesting that they chose a Charles Wesley (leader of the Methodist movement) hymn: Love Divine All Loves Excelling. mind you he did write 6000 hymns!
I am certainly, like my family before and after me, a Monarchist.

Derrygal Apr 29th 2011 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9334063)
The last 4 digit s of my phone number are 1065. I always say "the year before the Battle of Hastings" but most people don't have a clue when that was. :huh::rofl:

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 24 hours. What a fantastic day it has been. The wedding was glorious and I, like many of you, am so proud to be British. Noone can do pomp and circumstance like the Brits. I found it all very moving and heartwarming. The positive atmosphere and the joining together of people of many ages from all backgrounds was a remarkable thing.
I found it interesting that they chose a Charles Wesley (leader of the Methodist movement) hymn: Love Divine All Loves Excelling. mind you he did write 6000 hymns!I am certainly, like my family before and after me, a Monarchist.

Actually I believe that hymn is sung at a lot of weddings. I know it was sung at my wedding - but then I was married in a Methodist church! I thought the service was really lovely.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 29th 2011 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9334074)
Actually I believe that hymn is sung at a lot of weddings. I know it was sung at my wedding - but then I was married in a Methodist church! I thought the service was really lovely.

I'm pretty sure that was sung at my sisters too, she was married C of E, big church do, I loved it.

Beedubya Apr 30th 2011 12:09 am

No I think his name is Bekcham or something like that --- hes a famous UK soccer player, loads of money, did you notice his wife with that really super weird hat with that 2 foot pin or something going through it, and OH what a snob :thumbdown: her husband was smiling at everyone and she looked as though she was the freaking cats whiskers, if she held her nose up in the air anymore she would have a stiff neck for a week,

Oh Rodney you are getting your non Royals mixed up LOL. Victoria Beckham is married to our David the very famous soccer player, whilst Zara Phillips is engaged to Mike Tindall the very famous rugby player..........

Beedubya Apr 30th 2011 12:10 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9334036)
Also, if she's a commoner with her money and background, what does that make the rest of us? :eek:

Scum LOL!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

sallysimmons Apr 30th 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9334127)

Grim northern scum! :lol:

I used to be a big fan of a band called The Beautiful South, who were actually from Hull. They used to sell t-shirts that read "Northern Scum." I still have one somewhere - better dig it out!

Mummy in the foothills Apr 30th 2011 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9334127)

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9334183)
Grim northern scum! :lol:

I used to be a big fan of a band called The Beautiful South, who were actually from Hull. They used to sell t-shirts that read "Northern Scum." I still have one somewhere - better dig it out!

Oh god lord if you are northern scum what are the non English amoung us (Meaning the Welsh and the Scottish) :lol:

Derrygal Apr 30th 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9334213)
Oh god lord if you are northern scum what are the non English amoung us (Meaning the Welsh and the Scottish) :lol:

And what about the Northern Irish scum like me??? Of course, the Irish did get a look-in today when Prince William wore the uniform of the Irish Guards. :)

bandrui Apr 30th 2011 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9334230)
And what about the Northern Irish scum like me??? Of course, the Irish did get a look-in today when Prince William wore the uniform of the Irish Guards. :)

... and he received 3 titles Duke of Cambridge (England), Earl Strathearn (Scotland) and Baron Cerrickfergus (N. Ireland). He's already Wales.

... and the lace on Catherine's dress was made up of the national flowers of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

between two worlds Apr 30th 2011 7:02 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9334063)

I found it interesting that they chose a Charles Wesley (leader of the Methodist movement) hymn: Love Divine All Loves Excelling. mind you he did write 6000 hymns!
I am certainly, like my family before and after me, a Monarchist.

Yes, Charles Wesley's hymns are often sung by Anglicans--of course he intended to remain an Anglican, did not want to start a new denomination...if you go to church regularly in an Anglican church or Episcopal one in USA you find yourself singing his hymns often...but I know a different tune to Love Divine than the one they sung, and much prefer it...
however, it was still lovely, and so was Jerusalem...all the music was great.

tina

jasper123 Apr 30th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9334125)
Oh Rodney you are getting your non Royals mixed up LOL. Victoria Beckham is married to our David the very famous soccer player, whilst Zara Phillips is engaged to Mike Tindall the very famous rugby player..........

Thats right Barb --- Victoria Beckham was the woman with the funny hat that couldn't smile to save her life --- Mrs Personality of the year I would say :eek:

dunroving Apr 30th 2011 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9334464)
Thats right Barb --- Victoria Beckham was the woman with the funny hat that couldn't smile to save her life --- Mrs Personality of the year I would say :eek:

Apparently she has a wicked sense of humour and an ability to take the p*ss out of herself (I got this from a review of her TV programme when she moved to LA). It's a shame she looks like such a sourpuss when she is in public.

I missed the whole Spice Girls thing (it was back when we didn't have internet and cable TV and easy access to UK news), so I find it funny when I see old video of her cavorting on stage with the Spice Girls, and in interviews - she was a lot more animated back then.

Beedubya Apr 30th 2011 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9334464)

Sorry but I disagree, like Dunroving I have seen her in interviews and she is quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqe6wGF58cM

Maybe she was having a bad day what with being 6 months pregnant.

Edited to add: I just checked it out on Google and she doesn't like her face or her teeth when she smiles!!! :unsure:

sallysimmons Apr 30th 2011 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9334580)
Sorry but I disagree, like Dunroving I have seen her in interviews and she is quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqe6wGF58cM

That's how she was when I saw her on American Idol - funny and sweet.

How can she not like how she looks when she smiles? She's so pretty!

Beedubya Apr 30th 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9334619)
That's how she was when I saw her on American Idol - funny and sweet.

How can she not like how she looks when she smiles? She's so pretty!

Maybe she has body dysmorphia LOL!!

I just read elsewhere that they had an argument on the way to the church. :ohmy:

dunroving Apr 30th 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9334628)
Maybe she has body dysmorphia LOL!!

I just read elsewhere that they had an argument on the way to the church. :ohmy:

Probably about who was the best-looking and most famous.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 30th 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9334230)

Dh noticed that, it had clovers on the collar. Very nice it looked too

Pistolpete2 Apr 30th 2011 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9334817)
Dh noticed that, it had clovers on the collar. Very nice it looked too

Shamrocks plllllease!

I was always confused by the fact that the Irish Guards are actually associated with the Republic of Ireland and not Northern Ireland even though they recruit in Northern Ireland.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 30th 2011 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9334841)
Shamrocks plllllease!

I was always confused by the fact that the Irish Guards are actually associated with the Republic of Ireland and not Northern Ireland even though they recruit in Northern Ireland.

Sorry, Shamrocks :o

fulwood Apr 30th 2011 5:18 pm

well I hope it is okay to post this on this forum. I will be in UK for about 5-6 weeks in July-August timeframe. I will be travelling a wee bit and wondered if there is a phone I can use whilst in UK. I am sure there is something similar to the TracFones we have in the US. My tracfone can't be used overseas and I deliberately chose TracFone and removed landline to save costs..

between two worlds Apr 30th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9334925)
well I hope it is okay to post this on this forum. I will be in UK for about 5-6 weeks in July-August timeframe. I will be travelling a wee bit and wondered if there is a phone I can use whilst in UK. I am sure there is something similar to the TracFones we have in the US. My tracfone can't be used overseas and I deliberately chose TracFone and removed landline to save costs..

I think this is a relevant moving-back-to-the-uk question,as many people will want to go back for reconnaissance trips before moving back, or will be at a temporary address when they do first move back, and in either case, this kind of non-contract phone is useful.

I bought a pay-as-you-go phone from Orange about three years ago, the cheapest one they had--about 20 pounds.

You just put money on it to top it up, either in a shop, or by calling and using credit card if you have set that up. Calls and texts are expensive, it's true, but this is far better and easier than having any sort of contract.

If you go back to the UK within six months, the phone will still work with the same phone number. So I've been successfully using it for at least three years, every time I visit the uk.

I think, but am not sure, that if you couldn't get back within six months, but just called the number from US or wherever, or got someone in uk to call the number for you, that is enough to keep the account active and keep the number.

But I am not sure, as I've always been able to go back before the six months are up.

Tina.

dunroving Apr 30th 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9334937)
I think this is a relevant moving-back-to-the-uk question,as many people will want to go back for reconnaissance trips before moving back, or will be at a temporary address when they do first move back, and in either case, this kind of non-contract phone is useful.

I bought a pay-as-you-go phone from Orange about three years ago, the cheapest one they had--about 20 pounds.

You just put money on it to top it up, either in a shop, or by calling and using credit card if you have set that up. Calls and texts are expensive, it's true, but this is far better and easier than having any sort of contract.

If you go back to the UK within six months, the phone will still work with the same phone number. So I've been successfully using it for at least three years, every time I visit the uk.

I think, but am not sure, that if you couldn't get back within six months, but just called the number from US or wherever, or got someone in uk to call the number for you, that is enough to keep the account active and keep the number.

But I am not sure, as I've always been able to go back before the six months are up.

Tina.

+1. My current Orange PAYG was £10, I think. Bog standard, no camera, but does the trick.

As I discovered recently (see my post in the Lab), it's not so much using the phone that is important, as topping it up. I lost my number, even though I use it to text just about every week, because I hadn't topped up in several months. I even used it 10 minutes before they stole the number! (I lost my current balance too, which was about £10, the barstewards).

Mummy in the foothills Apr 30th 2011 6:59 pm

Tesco has pay as you go now too. How convenient is that for top ups and finding a phone.
My Mums O2 pay as you go works over here when she's on vacation.

between two worlds Apr 30th 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9335000)
+1. My current Orange PAYG was £10, I think. Bog standard, no camera, but does the trick.

As I discovered recently (see my post in the Lab), it's not so much using the phone that is important, as topping it up. I lost my number, even though I use it to text just about every week, because I hadn't topped up in several months. I even used it 10 minutes before they stole the number! (I lost my current balance too, which was about £10, the barstewards).

Oh wow Dunroving, this is important--I didn't realise it was the topping-up that kept your number active, not just using it. What happened to you is dreadful! Thanks for the tip!

I will check out "The Lab"-never heard of it, another thread in Britexpats forums I imagine? on technical matters I guess?

I tried to edit my post to say I forgot I was in the chitchat thread, I thought the question was asked, and I was answering, in the main 50s+ thread, and i think it would have been a valid question there as well as here!

Tina

cheers Apr 30th 2011 8:31 pm

I lost about $20 on Boostmobile because I didn't top it up. They require $20 top up every 90 days. In the mean time I have gone back to T-mobile because I only have to ad on once every 12 months.

Come to think of it I will have to double check Boostmobile now.

cheers Apr 30th 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9335026)

I tried to edit my post to say I forgot I was in the chitchat thread, I thought the question was asked, and I was answering, in the main 50s+ thread, and i think it would have been a valid question there as well as here!

Tina

I think it is good to use Chit Chat instead of Part II because you don't get hassled on here.:sneaky:

bandrui Apr 30th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9335099)
I think it is good to use Chit Chat instead of Part II because you don't get hassled on here.:sneaky:

Good point ;)

Derrygal Apr 30th 2011 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9335099)

I totally agree Cheers! :)

jasper123 Apr 30th 2011 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9334047)

Thats the one cheers, Mrs personality UGH :thumbdown: SHE DARENT LOWER HER HEAD OR THAT REDICULAS HAT WOULD HAVE FALLEN OFF. well she is pregnant though so maybe she was just having a bad day.

jasper123 Apr 30th 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9335097)
I lost about $20 on Boostmobile because I didn't top it up. They require $20 top up every 90 days. In the mean time I have gone back to T-mobile because I only have to ad on once every 12 months.

Come to think of it I will have to double check Boostmobile now.

I hAVE T.MOBIL and I dont use it much so I only top it up about once every 2 or 3 months for £10, or you can just top up with £5 if u want.

jasper123 Apr 30th 2011 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9335012)
Tesco has pay as you go now too. How convenient is that for top ups and finding a phone.
My Mums O2 pay as you go works over here when she's on vacation.

I bought my phone at tesco for £12.95 no ccamerabut it is a nice flip top pocket size, it came with a free £5 top up, and I just bought an extra £5 top up, its a nice slesleekyone, I like it caUSE you can leave it for as long as you like and when its empty u just top it up anytime, most stores do it or I just pop into the post office to top it off when its low,

cheers Apr 30th 2011 10:03 pm

I was able to keep my Boostmobile with $10. which is good for 90 days.
On Monday I have to go down to Los Angeles and stay over night so now I have two cell phones if I need them.