Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:45 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mallory
Amazingly, almost 1/3 of homes in the US have no mortgage on them.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan...clear-20130110
Same in the UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...market-england

31.3% own their houses outright.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:46 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Now that I have been back here roughly a few weeks, I have noticed that, not only are quite a few people missing who used to be "regulars", but the group is much quieter than it used to be. Am I the only one noticing this?
I think some of us are just settled and don't come here as often. I just got 5 minutes this morning and decided to check in to see how everyone is doing, but it's hard to find the time.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Now that I have been back here roughly a few weeks, I have noticed that, not only are quite a few people missing who used to be "regulars", but the group is much quieter than it used to be. Am I the only one noticing this?
It is quieter, which I think is a function of a couple of things:

first, many regular posters, like sallysimmmons, have moved back to the UK and post less often, busy with their new lives--actually she does still post more than many, which is great--I just picked her as an example of people who've recently gone home, there was quite a flurry all at once.

Another reason is, I think, the name of this thread. Now that the original Over 50s and 60s Moving Back thread has been consolidated with this one, I feel that fewer new members in their 50s and 60s who are thinking of moving back will be attracted to the thread, because it's called "Chit-chat and Daily Catch-up--doesn't sound like the place you'd go if you're starting to think seriously about moving back in your 50s and 60s...

Some people in this position have found us anyway, but i wonder how many others might like this thread and find it helpful, but have been discouraged by its name.

I wonder if there's a possibility of changing it, and if others agree we might ask the moderators about it?

Something that reflects both threads that were joined into one--and I do agree it's better just to have one thread.

Something like: Over 50s and 60s Moving Back and Catch-up

??
What does anyone think?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think some of us are just settled and don't come here as often. I just got 5 minutes this morning and decided to check in to see how everyone is doing, but it's hard to find the time.
That's really funny, Sally--as you were writing these words, I was simultaneously writing about how you were home and settled and had less reason to get on the forum!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:55 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you have recovered from the burglary, I know how traumatising it can be having come home twice to a ransacked house, mind you that was 20 years ago.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:09 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

first, many regular posters, like sallysimmmons, have moved back to the UK and post less often, busy with their new lives--actually she does still post more than many, which is great--I just picked her as an example of people who've recently gone home, there was quite a flurry all at once.

Another reason is, I think, the name of this thread. Now that the original Over 50s and 60s Moving Back thread has been consolidated with this one, I feel that fewer new members in their 50s and 60s who are thinking of moving back will be attracted to the thread, because it's called "Chit-chat and Daily Catch-up--doesn't sound like the place you'd go if you're starting to think seriously about moving back in your 50s and 60s...

Some people in this position have found us anyway, but i wonder how many others might like this thread and find it helpful, but have been discouraged by its name.

I wonder if there's a possibility of changing it, and if others agree we might ask the moderators about it?

Something that reflects both threads that were joined into one--and I do agree it's better just to have one thread.

??
What does anyone think?
I agree. The original thread was a big part of my reason for joining this forum. This thread is great for those of us that have been around for a while and remember the history of the threads, but as you say I don't think it will attract too many newcomers the way the original thread did.

So, I am for your idea of renaming the thread.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:17 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The knee is doing well, still progressing. Not doing anything especially adventurous, but it improves in flexibility, strength and endurance every week. I think it will be some time before I know what my limits will be (e.g., will I be able to do half-day hikes, or bike rides up the steeper hills).

Re: Your knee, I have learned that as we get older, we should be careful of being lured into anything extreme - like Gangnam dancing! Seriously, there are just some things that it's not worth doing because a meniscus tear, or ligament tear, can put you out of commission for a long time, or just give you a lot of pain. Although our bodies can repair themselves to a certain extent, there is a limit to how much they will repair - and while they are repairing, we are sitting around doing very little, or cutting back on our usual physical activity - which itself is a lot more detrimental as we get older.
Glad your knee is on the mend. Mine is feeling a bit better, so fingers crossed that nothing has been damaged.

I know, I need to avoid the "extreme sports" at my age, but I was led astray by the ringleader who is in her mid sixties. I was always taught to respect my elders, so what was a young buck like me supposed to do?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
With me lurking to make sure you don't offend anyone.
Me too!!!!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:21 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sorry about your knee, but that gave me a giggle.
I manage to pull a muscle in my calf today, Dancing to Pitbull
Sounds like Dunroving is right, we need to avoid the "extreme" activities. Think that will also have to include housework.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

??
What does anyone think?
BTW yes I agree, we do need to have a different name for our thread, and your Idea is good but I think we need to add the word (NEW) in front -------- like ------ New over 50's & 60's moving back & catch up,
Do you know how to contact the right person on here to get our name changed?
Rodney.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
BTW yes I agree, we do need to have a different name for our thread, and your Idea is good but I think we need to add the word (NEW) in front -------- like ------ New over 50's & 60's moving back & catch up,
Do you know how to contact the right person on here to get our name changed?
Rodney.
Yes Rodney you're right, we need to add the word "new" so it's not confused with the old one.

No, i don't know how to contact the moderators--will look around on the forum to see if I can find out how.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

OK I have just sent a pm to the moderator named SUE, whom we've often seen here and who us helped a lot with managing the thread.

I've explained that I, along with a couple of other members, feel the current thread name, Over 50s and 60s Chit-Chat and Daily Catch-up Thread, might be off-putting to new members who are starting the moving back process and have serious questions and concerns. This name doesn't reflect that the thread is actually the result of a merger of the original Over 50s and 60s Moving Back thread and the Chit-Chat one. It sounds as if it's a little clique, and it's for chatting only.

I agree that we only need one thread, and that to merge them made sense;
but I think its name should reflect that it's a merge, and it's a place for serious over 50s and 60s concerns about moving back as well as for chat.

Upthread I proposed as a name: Over 50s and 60s Moving Back and Catch-up.

Rodney suggested we should add "new" so people realise it isn't just a reappearance of the original thread.

I agree, so I've proposed to Sue:

New Over 50s and 60s Moving Back and Catch-up

What do you think??
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:15 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Same in the UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...market-england

31.3% own their houses outright.
Exactly! I love not having a mortgage.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:18 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

OK I have just sent a pm to the moderator named SUE, whom we've often seen here and who us helped a lot with managing the thread.

I've explained that I, along with a couple of other members, feel the current thread name, Over 50s and 60s Chit-Chat and Daily Catch-up Thread, might be off-putting to new members who are starting the moving back process and have serious questions and concerns. This name doesn't reflect that the thread is actually the result of a merger of the original Over 50s and 60s Moving Back thread and the Chit-Chat one. It sounds as if it's a little clique, and it's for chatting only.

but I think its name should reflect that it's a merge, and it's a place for serious over 50s and 60s concerns about moving back as well as for chat.

Rodney suggested we should add "new" so people realise it isn't just a reappearance of the original thread.

What do you think??
Sounds good.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think??
Great idea!! I was only thinking yesterday about how the name of the thread might be putting some people off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.