Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by mikelincs
she is, but how can you expect yanks to know where the various parts of Yorkshire are when 30% can't even place the USA on a world map..
.??? That is like saying 50% of British youths can't find Oxford on a map.?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
That's very perceptive. I have been grumpy lately, maybe that's what inspired me to change to the rather serious and duty bound Inspector Javert.

My mother also is of concern. With advanced Parkinson's she has been in a nursing home since Dec and last weekend took a fall and fractured her hip. The NHS was fantastic - called for ambulance at 6:30 a.m. Saturday and at 2 pm she went into surgery for hip replacement !! Mother is looking poorly and we don't know if she will pull through but we have seen this coming so are not unprepared. The £741/week board and lodging at the nursing home made me go pale.

Maybe the weather gets me down (but I can't complain compared to what I see falling on western Scotland).
Seems like I have had a lot of drudgery chores lately and not much fun. I feel a lot of weight from all around despite making effort to cheer up. But I know my cycle of happy-unhappy is long waves rather then blowing hot/cold daily, so I'll pull through eventually.
I did break off from decorating today and took a walk in the sunshine with a local group including some of my bus-stop-chat ladies so I caught up with all the local gossip.

And the horse jokes on here have helped!!
I just realised I missed your response ... the ups and downs of life as an expat (or an ex-expat), it's a bugger.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. From my knowledge of the field (sport/exercise science, etc.), it is really, really important for your mum to work on her rehab every day.

I don't know if she will get physio (here in Scotland, or at least in Glasgow, I got none at all after my TKR), but regardless, she needs to be pushed to do a little every day, and regularly within the day (even if it's setting a kitchen timer to go off every 30 minutes, to remind her to get up off the sofa, walk to the kitchen, and come back). In later life, a hip fracture can have a relly detrimental effect on all sorts of physical systems (mainly because of the subsequent lack of mobility). Good luck with that, and keep up the walking yourself, of course.

Oh, and talk with the doctor about the side-effects of the opiate painkillers your mum will be taking, and lack of activity - he/you really need to keep an eye on that. PM me if you want more information.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Surely it's like saying they can't find Britain on a map, isn't it?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I love the feeling of security owning my own home, but it does have its good and bad sides, I rented too and enjoyed the freedom it gave me to move on when I wanted.

I see lots of reverse mortgage advertisements on TV, lots of people must be doing these otherwise the ads would stop, I wonder if those are being offered in other countries, it tells you the financial state of affairs for many Americans once they reach retirement, Fancy making payments for 30 yrs and then using it as a piggy back to get you through, Those reverse mortgage companies have to be making a great return on the money for the risk involved, so it cant be that good for the homeowners, so much for the American Dream.

30 Years, I spoke to someone three years ago that had taken a 50 year mortgage, how sad is that.

I'm guessing the adverts are because of the profit to be made.
One thing I don't like is no one can move in to live and help your nan if you have a reverse mortgage. People need to really look hard at the fine print.
My MIL has a RM. This doesn't make me an expert.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remember tomorrow is the last episode of this series of Downton Abbey here in the US.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving,

How is your knee? I went out the other day, to do a brisk hilly walk, but had to turn back as my knee was quite painful. Whilst doing "Gangnam Style" for the Panto, I tripped and banged my knee as I was galloping off the stage, so I am hopeful that this is just a temporary blip and the pain will fade away.

Last edited by lf1; Feb 16th 2013 at 7:53 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:27 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember tomorrow is the last episode of this series of Downton Abbey here in the US.
It's a good one!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Council Housing still exists in some areas. In other areas public sector housing ("Social Housing") is in the hands of Housing Associations.

Last edited by scot47; Feb 16th 2013 at 8:04 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Reverse Mortgage" is more often known as "Equity Release" in the UKofGB&NI. Quite a few of my generation are into it, as a way of financing their profligate lifestyles !
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:52 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by scot47
Council Housing still exists in some areas. In other areas public sector houysing ("Social Housing") is in the hands of Housing Associations.
Yes, I live on a street with several council houses. Mine was a council house until the owner was allowed to buy it for pennies. About a quarter on the street are still council rental houses.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If anyone is interested in applying for housing in a rural and island area - get in touch with me by PM. I am the happy tenant of a Housing Association flat in a small town on a Scottish island.

Some rural areas have been losing population over the last decades. We need incomers !
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:40 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by lf1
Dunroving,

How is your knee? I went out the other day, to do a brisk hilly walk, but had to turn back as my knee was quite painful. Whilst doing "Gangnam Style" for the Panto, I tripped and banged my knee as I was galloping off the stage, so I am hopeful that this is just a temporary blip and the pain will fade away.
The knee is doing well, still progressing. Not doing anything especially adventurous, but it improves in flexibility, strength and endurance every week. I think it will be some time before I know what my limits will be (e.g., will I be able to do half-day hikes, or bike rides up the steeper hills).

Re: Your knee, I have learned that as we get older, we should be careful of being lured into anything extreme - like Gangnam dancing! Seriously, there are just some things that it's not worth doing because a meniscus tear, or ligament tear, can put you out of commission for a long time, or just give you a lot of pain. Although our bodies can repair themselves to a certain extent, there is a limit to how much they will repair - and while they are repairing, we are sitting around doing very little, or cutting back on our usual physical activity - which itself is a lot more detrimental as we get older.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Dunroving,

Sorry about your knee, but that gave me a giggle.
I manage to pull a muscle in my calf today, Dancing to Pitbull
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sorry about your knee, but that gave me a giggle.
I manage to pull a muscle in my calf today, Dancing to Pitbull
Pulling your calf muscle reminds me of my own some years ago when I was playing badminton. I had to be carried off the court and taken to my GP, and he referred to it as a monkey muscle and sent me to A & E. I called it a monkey muscle there, and the young doctor looked at me strangely and said he had never heard of such a thing. I was out of sport for months.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

A whole load of them wouldn't even know which country it was in..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.