Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by fulwood
derrygal, I don't use expatshield anymore. too many darned issues. i installed app called hola.org. easy to install and much better. read about it in the "Trailer Park" forum.
Saw your message and installed it with Firefox However, it says it unblocked the BBC and ITV players but I still get that message that says you can't watch it if you are out of the country. Did you have to do anything else? I am wondering if I am missing a step.

NOTE: I found out why it doesn't work. I use a Mac and it doesn't support Apple operating systems yet. That's ok. I can wait
Old Feb 14th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Saw your message and installed it with Firefox However, it says it unblocked the BBC and ITV players but I still get that message that says you can't watch it if you are out of the country. Did you have to do anything else? I am wondering if I am missing a step.

NOTE: I found out why it doesn't work. I use a Mac and it doesn't support Apple operating systems yet. That's ok. I can wait
If anyone is interested, I use Unblockus.com it unblocks all the american TV channels that I like to watch, and I use it to get the American version of Netflix as they have much more movie content and lots & lots of new releases, of course you also need a netflix account in U.K. or U.S the cost for unblockus is $4.99 per month on direct debit, its a Canadian company so its charged in Canadian dollars,
I would imagine it would work the same for the people living in America who want to unblock British TV channels,
Old Feb 14th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
If anyone is interested, I use Unblockus.com it unblocks all the american TV channels that I like to watch, and I use it to get the American version of Netflix as they have much more movie content and lots & lots of new releases, of course you also need a netflix account in U.K. or U.S the cost for unblockus is $4.99 per month on direct debit, its a Canadian company so its charged in Canadian dollars,
I would imagine it would work the same for the people living in America who want to unblock British TV channels,
Thanks, Rodney

I can get Hola to work for the BBC iPlayer so I am halfway there
Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd like to share this website I found by accident via another website. It looks interesting, especially for people who are trying to reacquaint themselves with some of the issues in the UK.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/
Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

A blog with some gorgeous photos of Wiltshire. Hope it is okay to post this sort of thing here.

http://laurencebarberswiltshire.wordpress.com/

I also noticed that Sally has a blog with some terrific photos of England and stories of her travels around England on it. I read it daily If any of you also have a blog about anywhere in the UK, can you please let me know. I'd love to follow it.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to share this website I found by accident via another website. It looks interesting, especially for people who are trying to reacquaint themselves with some of the issues in the UK.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/
Thanks for the link.

Often heard from UK ministers is "it's the EU so we have to do .... (whatever is the latest absurd ruling)"
I think this is often just an excuse to not tackle an issue.
Take the nonsense of UK paying child benefit to immigrants even when the child is left behind in the EU country of origin. My tax is potential going to pay for some kids in Lithuania !!!
But this kind of thing doesn't have be shrugged of as "it's the EU". Only 5 EU countries pay this benefit to kids abroad., 22 others don't. Why the heck does UK have to be the soft touch in paying this out when the Government is applying austerity measures, increasing my tax and reducing my standard of living.
UK application of EU rulings are crazy enough to bend your straight banana.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:19 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Thanks for the link.

Often heard from UK ministers is "it's the EU so we have to do .... (whatever is the latest absurd ruling)"
Take the nonsense of UK paying child benefit to immigrants even when the child is left behind in the EU country of origin. My tax is potential going to pay for some kids in Lithuania !!!
But this kind of thing doesn't have be shrugged of as "it's the EU". Only 5 EU countries pay this benefit to kids abroad., 22 others don't. Why the heck does UK have to be the soft touch in paying this out when the Government is applying austerity measures, increasing my tax and reducing my standard of living.
Scrap child benefit. Do like in the US and give a bigger tax deduction for people with children.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link.

John, you seem to be more grumpy since you changed your avatar.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Scrap child benefit. Do like in the US and give a bigger tax deduction for people with children.
Or: Scrap child benefit. Raise the state pension. Gets my vote
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the link.

I read on that web site that the underlying issue is that in the UK the unemployment benefits are a bit better than minimum wage so there is no incentive to work. Perhaps if there was more of an incentive for these people to work, there would be fewer jobs available which might cut down on the immigration to the UK. Of course, I don't know what minimum wage is in the UK. I only know it is disgraceful in the USA. I am not sure exactly what it is but I do know it is a figure that I couldn't imagine living on if I had to.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 14th 2013 at 10:55 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I made a mistake - a good one!!! lol

Hola does indeed work with both ITV and BBC in Firefox on a Mac. When I tried it the first time, it worked fine with BBC first time but ITV asked for a postal code. I thought that was because it didn't work. Just for fun I put one in just now and it worked! Hooray!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I find myself since ITVplayer changed to having to pay for things that I end up watching BBC a lot. I can watch Corrie on YouTube. Also with Netflix I get all the other stuff I like like Taggart, Rebus, Cracker etc. Older episodes but I've not seen them.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
I find myself since ITVplayer changed to having to pay for things that I end up watching BBC a lot. I can watch Corrie on YouTube. Also with Netflix I get all the other stuff I like like Taggart, Rebus, Cracker etc. Older episodes but I've not seen them.
Gosh, I haven't come across anything on ITV that I have to pay for yet - thank goodness I'm trying to find out the names of the really good programs on ITV and BBC but I am so out of touch. I will have to try the ones you just mentione

I haven't tried Netflix yet. I hope I can now watch some free movies lol!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happyglow
Or: Scrap child benefit. Raise the state pension. Gets my vote
That would help. I know in the USA in the much poorer areas (inner city) in certain states, women have children just to get money from welfare - and then they don't work and live in squalor.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I read on that web site that the underlying issue is that in the UK the unemployment benefits are a bit better than minimum wage so there is no incentive to work. Perhaps if there was more of an incentive for these people to work, there would be fewer jobs available which might cut down on the immigration to the UK. Of course, I don't know what minimum wage is in the UK. I only know it is disgraceful in the USA. I am not sure exactly what it is but I do know it is a figure that I couldn't imagine living on if I had to.
Minimum Wage is £7.45 per Hour, outside London. Snag is, you can only find work, for 16 hours per week, and if seeking, say 30 hours, then another vacancy, will more than likely be miles away. - My Wife doesn't drive in the UK (she did in Thailand), and so needs to have lessons, which we cannot afford at the moment, and her income with my pensions, puts me where I cannot claim, Pension Credit, (which then automaticallyentitles the applicant to get some housing benefit.)

As it happens, she has applied for her Settlement Visa, and on those forms I have had to sign, that I am not, and will not claim any state benefits, - and to make sure there is no ambiguity, they then list them!

She also, has to obtain a residents identity card, which has her Photograph, and Fingerprints together with D.O.B. etc., on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.