Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Windsong,
And its very nice to hear from you again, how are you? I dont think they had green cards in the days of silent movies you know when Charley Chaplin was a young man,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney!!! It's nice to hear from you Yes, you are probably right about the green cards. I hadn't heard of such a thing until I arrived here. That was a long time ago and I am still praying I can go home at some point. It is a long time in coming.

Are you still enjoying life in Britain?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Rodney!!! It's nice to hear from you Yes, you are probably right about the green cards. I hadn't heard of such a thing until I arrived here. That was a long time ago and I am still praying I can go home at some point. It is a long time in coming.

Are you still enjoying life in Britain?
Yes Windsong I am still absolutely loving life in England, this is my favorite time of the year, its been raining heavy all day here in the south, I love the rain, always will
Coming home for good isn't possible for a lot of people on here, but thats alright too, life is very short and it dont matter where we are really as long as we can get some enjoyment out of life, and to try and be happy,
Cheers is coming home for a month soon, that will be good for him, he will love it!!!
Trotty is coming home for a holiday soon too, and I cant think of anyone that deserves a nice break over here then that lady,
So if a visit to UK is all some people can do right now ---- well me thinks thats fine,
I am just so grateful that I was able to come back home a couple of years ago to spend some time with my Mum, she's 94 in June, me 68 in June,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

What has the State Department got to do with it. Don't I send the application to the British Consulate and the Consulate then returns it directly to me?
You might find out that the US passport is about half the price of a US issued UK passport.
US passport is issued by the US State Department.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
You might find out that the US passport is about half the price of a US issued UK passport.
US passport is issued by the US State Department.
Ohh, so you were referring to the US passport I didn't even think of that. I always think of the British passport lol. I thought it odd that the State Dept in the USA would have anything to do with issuing British passports.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes Windsong I am still absolutely loving life in England, this is my favorite time of the year, its been raining heavy all day here in the south, I love the rain, always will
Coming home for good isn't possible for a lot of people on here, but thats alright too, life is very short and it dont matter where we are really as long as we can get some enjoyment out of life, and to try and be happy,
Cheers is coming home for a month soon, that will be good for him, he will love it!!!
Trotty is coming home for a holiday soon too, and I cant think of anyone that deserves a nice break over here then that lady,
So if a visit to UK is all some people can do right now ---- well me thinks thats fine,
I am just so grateful that I was able to come back home a couple of years ago to spend some time with my Mum, she's 94 in June, me 68 in June,
Take care,
Rodney.
I am so glad you are enjoying it, Rodney

I will get back there eventually, hopefully within the next couple of years Until then, it remains my dream

If your mum is 94, then you must be doing a lot of good for her - and she for you ))
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Checked my credit card today and Washington has taken the money for Dd's UK passport I also balanced my check book to find the cheque for my US passport has been cashed, so new passports winging their way to us I hope.
That our next ones needing renewal are done from UK.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Take care,
Rodney.
Sprog.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rhyl North Wales
Beacon
North Devon
Ashford Kent
Cheers, pity you hadn't come last year before we left Kent, we were minutes away from Ashford, we could have met up for a pint. Did you say you were going to be visiting Downton Abbey?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad you are enjoying it, Rodney

I will get back there eventually, hopefully within the next couple of years Until then, it remains my dream

If your mum is 94, then you must be doing a lot of good for her - and she for you ))
Good to see you back windsong. Hope the dream can begin to shift into reality.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, indeed he was - but he was not a citizen. Even so, I am shocked! I thought a green card was protection and I would think he had one of those.
I suspect the rumours about Communist sympathies & involvement had something to do with his difficulties with the US govt.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I suspect the rumours about Communist sympathies & involvement had something to do with his difficulties with the US govt.
True - and it was also felt if he had appealed against the revoking of his re-entry permit then he could gained entry back to the US if he had wished. He chose not to and moved to Switzerland after sending his wife back to claim his fortune.

I think he was ready to move away and did not like the way the US goverment and the McCarthy investigations were blackballing artists using the threat of communist sympathies - which in many cases were unfounded - to blacken their names.

So really using Chaplin as an example of a man being denied entry back to the US after 40 years of legal and gainful employment is really a misleading one
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lorac Long time no see! How's life back home treating you? Good to see you on the forum again!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:48 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just posted a six month update in the "Back Home" section. Thought I would let my over 50 pals know as I don't think I am allowed to copy it into this thread.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I have just posted a six month update in the "Back Home" section. Thought I would let my over 50 pals know as I don't think I am allowed to copy it into this thread.
IF1 could you copy it into a link and post it on here, I would love to read it, its just that I dont know how to get into the back home section, yes you ARE able to post a link on this thread,
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

IF1 could you copy it into a link and post it on here, I would love to read it, its just that I dont know how to get into the back home section, yes you ARE able to post a link on this thread,
Here you go, pal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.