British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Feb 8th 2013 6:46 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10531940)
So long as you are happy then it's fine.
Maybe you should be doing the rounds, cups of tea from Portsmouth all the way to Glasgow can be had apparently. :lol:

Yes, and dogs welcome too!

dunroving Feb 8th 2013 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10531765)
Stay warm all you east coasters. We are supposed to get low snow tonight, not low enough to snow at my house, we will get the cold and wind, brrr.
I have been in the California way too long when the weather we have here feels cold, it's probably more like a summer day at Dunrovings house :lol:

Well that depends - is it raining sideways?

Mummy in the foothills Feb 8th 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10532230)
Well that depends - is it raining sideways?

It was yes! We also had hail last night, and sadly my Dd was watching it bounce on the deck and asked what the white stuff on the deck was :o Poor deprived child. :lol:

cheers Feb 8th 2013 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10533262)
It was yes! We also had hail last night, and sadly my Dd was watching it bounce on the deck and asked what the white stuff on the deck was :o Poor deprived child. :lol:

Wind is howling outside. Overcast.

cheers

jasper123 Feb 9th 2013 10:54 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10531087)
Same goes for North Yorkshire Trotty! Hope you're able to make your trip soon.

And dont forget me trotty in Portsmouth, I would love to meet you after all this time of knowing you on here, me and Mum will have a nice cup of tea waiting for you ----- and a sticky bun ;)

Gordon Barlow Feb 9th 2013 3:42 pm

I think renting pretty much always makes more sense when you're 69 or older. My wife and I have decided we won't ever buy again, if we sell our present home.

trottytrue Feb 9th 2013 3:49 pm

If I take up all your kind offers I would have to stay 6months and my trip would be from Lands End to John O"Groats although on reading up on the latter it was voted the most dismal place in Scotland I wonder if dunroving would agree:)

The weather here in NH is awful the wind is howling and the snow is drifting my daughter spent 3 hours snowblowing the driveway and then the blower died on her. The neighbour came over and helped her finish. Now when the town comes and clears the roads again the driveway will once again be blocked in. About 2ft of snow fell and worst is the drifting. My Scottie is a poor excuse for her breed. She spent two minutes outside and didnt like the wind so ran back inside and its still snowing:frown:

lf1 Feb 9th 2013 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10534517)
If I take up all your kind offers I would have to stay 6months and my trip would be from Lands End to John O"Groats although on reading up on the latter it was voted the most dismal place in Scotland I wonder if dunroving would agree:)

The weather here in NH is awful the wind is howling and the snow is drifting my daughter spent 3 hours snowblowing the driveway and then the blower died on her. The neighbour came over and helped her finish. Now when the town comes and clears the roads again the driveway will once again be blocked in. About 2ft of snow fell and worst is the drifting. My Scottie is a poor excuse for her breed. She spent two minutes outside and didnt like the wind so ran back inside and its still snowing:frown:

Your Scottie would probably prefer the weather in John O'Groats :lol:

trottytrue Feb 9th 2013 4:48 pm

I just had another read on John O'Groats and apparently they have been doing a makeover of it. The Hotel has been rebuilt and they are trying to attract visitors. The sign went back up.:D

Bevm Feb 9th 2013 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10531848)
I
Sorry I haven't contributed much lately. My divorce was/is very painful (scary) at 69 years of age. How can I start over? Been 40+ years in the USA but have no real reason to stay here. I am in Texas and my children are in New York. No desire to live there. Belfast family not exactly overjoyed.

Do you have a strong desire to return to the UK, Celticspirit? Do you want to be close to your children? Perhaps you might want to try a rental somewhere near NYC. I was surprised by how quaint and peaceful parts of Long Island are.

The nice thing about renting once we get used to it is that we can try places without such deep commitment.

Bev

trottytrue Feb 10th 2013 12:09 am

Bevm..I think its a good idea to rent. We bought here in NH because I know eventually even if I do go back to the UK I will have to come back one day and having a home to come to will make it easier. The house is near my daughter so she said she will take care of it for us but I know in the UK we will just want to rent we had decided a while ago to buy but when we thought about it having the chidren here in the US it would have become a big hassle for them when we departed:eek: This way hopefully I will some day get the best of both worlds. :fingerscrossed: and if you decide you dont like an area you can move and not worry about selling a short rental to start with is a good idea.

windsong Feb 10th 2013 7:39 pm

Hello, everyone! It's been a while since I have been here so I thought I would stop in and see how everyone is doing.

I am no closer to going home but maybe one day!

windsong Feb 10th 2013 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10515677)
Another example of why people are moving to the UK.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/372139/372139

I wish, wish, wish I could back tomorrow!!

windsong Feb 10th 2013 7:59 pm

I just read this article that was posted here!! Unbelievable!! Here I am having difficulty finding work in the midwest so I can't possibly save to go back home and this woman is taking advantage :(

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/372...migrant-mother

If she is getting these benefits, then Britain should help its expats get back home in the same way ;)

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 10th 2013 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10529953)
Fish n Chips 56...Thankyou for your kind thoughts. Buying the house is going through but the only spark of sunlight is my daughter is really happy about it and like she says we can always rent it out if we want to. Its not far from the beach and in a good area and as I have said there are not many houses to rent in this area. Condo's are not something my OH would do.

I Understand totally, Condo's arent for everyone, I was just looking options to try and get you through this frustrating time, looking back I think renting a condo would have been a better option for us.

Enjoy your new home, near the beach sounds perfect to me, get out and enjoy the beach and water this spring and summer, I'm sure it will be peaceful, maybe your dog will enjoy it too, my dog used to love the beach.

Life is too short as we all know, you might as well enjoy and appreciate what you have today.

Enjoy your trip to the UK too, Best wishes...