British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

scot47 Dec 25th 2012 2:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all, even to the Bankers who brought the world to near collapse !

dontheturner Dec 25th 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10450059)
Merry Christmas to everyone!!
We have had thunderstorms and rain all night long with temperatures dropping and snow forecast from this afternoon and overnight. Fire already lit and its warm and cosy inside.

High Celtic - must admit, never thought it got that cold in TX.

cheers Dec 25th 2012 5:11 pm

I'm happy you are all having a happy Christmas. I'm thinking of members who have gone really quiet and haven't posted for some time. It would be nice to hear from them.

Celticspirit Dec 25th 2012 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10450113)

Hello Don,
Yes in Texas we sometimes have extremes on both ends. When I came here 40 years sho, I could not believe there were many furriers in Dallas!! Good thing is it never lasts very long xx

cheers Dec 26th 2012 5:55 pm

Beat this! I got up at 4:30 am to go shopping. The store, Kohls, opened at 5 a.m. and DW said she would buy me a fleece top, that was on sale, for my BD. Mission accomplished!

Cheers

cheers Dec 26th 2012 9:33 pm

Anyone have the lowdown on Barbara?

Celticspirit Dec 27th 2012 1:27 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10450113)

Don, last night was -7C and tonight will be -4C. We had a wonderful snowy Christmas Day. Today we did not get back up to 0C but tomorrow it will all have disappeared. Will change my avatar to my house on Christmas Day.

UkWinds5353 Dec 27th 2012 2:28 am

I celebrated X-Mas spending time with family enjoying egg-nog and watching television all the usual christmas shows.How did you all spend christmas? Did you have the christmas spirit this year?

dontheturner Dec 27th 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 10451441)
I celebrated X-Mas spending time with family enjoying egg-nog and watching television all the usual christmas shows.How did you all spend christmas? Did you have the christmas spirit this year?

Forgive me, but before the war, we had ''Seagars Egg Flip'' - a mix of Eggs & Sherry, which was called by all and sundry ''Egg-nog''..... Is this the same thing you are referring to, or is it Advocaat??

jasper123 Dec 27th 2012 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 10447892)
Cheers asked the question 'do you think people in England are better off today than 50yrs ago?'.

Rodney, I was 21yrs old 50yrs ago . . . 5yrs older than you. I don't remember people claiming benefits back then. Everyone that I knew had a job. Most couples married young & started a family straight away. They looked forward to a second income when the children were off their hands.

Paula

Hey Paula,
everything you say here is quite correct, there were loads of jobs around way back then, the point I was making was not everyone wanted to work,
not the majority of course, but even way back then there were indeed benefits in the U.K. ----- not as many as now of course but there was the dole system 50 years ago, remember we are only talking about the 60,s
and the men that I was referring to were the lazy minority that learned very fast how easy it was to make more on benefits then if they were working,
Dole money, and child support/allowance mostly, for every child a married couple or single mother would get x number of pounds per child, so many would actually plan on having a brood of little rug rats, hence there benefits if say they had 3 or more kids would receive more in benefits then they could get if they were working full time, and so as I was saying that has not changed much, still a lot of people who have never worked,
Thats where it all started , that mentality of the government owes us a living,
Now 50 years later we have two more generations of the lazy buggers, many of whom have never worked a single day in there life, ---- and so it goes on!!!!! as the world turns!!!!
Me Ive never been without a Job in my life anywhere in the world, except now, Im an OAP with a free bus pass ;)

UkWinds5353 Dec 28th 2012 1:51 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10451624)
Forgive me, but before the war, we had ''Seagars Egg Flip'' - a mix of Eggs & Sherry, which was called by all and sundry ''Egg-nog''..... Is this the same thing you are referring to, or is it Advocaat??

Hi

There are a few ways of making eggnog. Here in the States there are a gazillion dairy companies that make eggnog.It is a very traditional holiday drink. The usual ingredients are milk, sugar, raw eggs, nutmeg and other spices. Rum is a favorite alcohol put in eggnog. When well made it can be a real treat.This year for some reason it has been expensive.About $6 per half gallon. My mother use to make it from cratch. The key is not making it too sweet.

Celticspirit Dec 28th 2012 2:01 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 10452495)
Hi

There are a few ways of making eggnog. Here in the States there are a gazillion dairy companies that make eggnog.It is a very traditional holiday drink. The usual ingredients are milk, sugar, raw eggs, nutmeg and other spices. Rum is a favorite alcohol put in eggnog. When well made it can be a real treat.This year for some reason it has been expensive.About $6 per half gallon. My mother use to make it from cratch. The key is not making it too sweet.

Oh my gosh......I had totally forgotten about Advocaat! I remember it was egg colored.....did we have to refrigerate after opening?

Celticspirit Dec 28th 2012 2:03 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 10452495)
Hi

Braun's low fat is tops :-) At least my kids said so....... :-)

UkWinds5353 Dec 28th 2012 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10452503)
Oh my gosh......I had totally forgotten about Advocaat! I remember it was egg colored.....did we have to refrigerate after opening?

Yes refrigeration is a must as its best served chilled. And your right, the color of eggnog is very near the shade of egg yolk. Here in the States it's sold from early december till a few days past New Years day.

UkWinds5353 Dec 28th 2012 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10452507)
Braun's low fat is tops :-) At least my kids said so....... :-)

Nice.