Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
WELL IF THE WORLD DOES INDEED END TOMORROW LIKE CERTAIN PEOPLE IN MEXICO ARE SAYING ------ then let me be the first on here to say ---- you have all been a swell group of people, and it has been my absolute pleasure to have known you all, and thanks to everyone that has helped me in so many ways in making my dream a reality,

But if 11pm tomorrow comes and we are all still in one piece then lets carry on chatting

Is everyone in the U.S. getting as much coverage about this on the TV as we are getting in U.K. ?

They said that the movie with John Cusac that was made a couple years ago named (2012) was inspired by the 5,000 year old calender in Mexico that ends on December 21st 2012

Good luck everyone ----- and keep safe!!!!!
Love Rodney.
Not a lot of coverage in Texas until yesterday and now it is on all the newscasts.
Thanks for worrying about us :-) it apparently has to do with the Mayan calendar. The Mayans themselves don't believe it will happen.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

US news is all about gun control, the economic cliff, a major snow storm in the east and some other stuff.
Same stuff over and over again. Enough already!
For me, I try to remember it is Christmas and it will be over and gone before we know it.
Cheers
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Hello - I've been lurking for a while, finally registered. Thanks for all the useful info and support so far!

I'm over 50 (woohoo! made it this far!) and planning a move back to the UK from Vancouver as it's time to spend some time with the family and to get a fix of all the things I've been missing living in the new world, wonderful as it is.

Not a permanent move, but long enough to bring dog (of course!) and a few boxes of stuff, after a serious clear-out)

So, here's to:
Family
Castles and cottages
Sense of humour
Dog-friendliness
Footpaths
France being just round the corner
Beer!
Decent cheese
Pickled onions
Marmite XO
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Hello - I've been lurking for a while, finally registered. Thanks for all the useful info and support so far!

I'm over 50 (woohoo! made it this far!) and planning a move back to the UK from Vancouver as it's time to spend some time with the family and to get a fix of all the things I've been missing living in the new world, wonderful as it is.

Not a permanent move, but long enough to bring dog (of course!) and a few boxes of stuff, after a serious clear-out)

So, here's to:
Family
Castles and cottages
Sense of humour
Dog-friendliness
Footpaths
Beer!
Decent cheese
Pickled onions
Marmite XO
Welcome
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So, here's to:
Family
Castles and cottages
Sense of humour
Dog-friendliness
Footpaths
Beer!
Decent cheese
Pickled onions
Marmite XO

and of course rain, biscuits, cake shops, trains, 'and these are a few of my favorite things' and for me the sea air.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Welcome
Thanks Mummy! (now that looks weird)
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheers
and of course rain, biscuits, cake shops, trains, 'and these are a few of my favorite things' and for me the sea air.
And Scotland, and second-hand bookshops, and yes definitely trains, and twisty roads, and british birdsong, and agas, and mushy peas...

....and not being asked which b*****d country I like best, at least twice a day! Though it's fun making up the answers haha
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:26 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WELL IF THE WORLD DOES INDEED END TOMORROW LIKE CERTAIN PEOPLE IN MEXICO ARE SAYING ------ then let me be the first on here to say ---- you have all been a swell group of people, and it has been my absolute pleasure to have known you all, and thanks to everyone that has helped me in so many ways in making my dream a reality,

But if 11pm tomorrow comes and we are all still in one piece then lets carry on chatting

Is everyone in the U.S. getting as much coverage about this on the TV as we are getting in U.K. ?

They said that the movie with John Cusac that was made a couple years ago named (2012) was inspired by the 5,000 year old calender in Mexico that ends on December 21st 2012

Good luck everyone ----- and keep safe!!!!!
Love Rodney.
Rodney, due to this Mayan prediction, I am having a hard time deciding if I should clean the house today or if it will be a waste of time. I suppose I had better get my rubber gloves on and quit using this as an excuse to avoid scrubbing the tub.

Hope you and all the other posters have a very happy Christmas complete with the Downton Abbey special.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:31 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

So, here's to:
Family
Castles and cottages
Sense of humour
Dog-friendliness
Footpaths
Beer!
Decent cheese
Pickled onions
Marmite XO
Welcome to BE and may I add "dancing in the kitchen" to your list. House parties are such fun here.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

So, here's to:
Family
Castles and cottages
Sense of humour
Dog-friendliness
Footpaths
Beer!
Decent cheese
Pickled onions
Marmite XO
Hi Happyglow, welcome aboard and Merry Christmas! Here's my contribution to your list:
REAL fish & chips with lots of malt vinegar and no one asking if I want gravy with said chips
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:34 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

That's why we came back from Victoria three years ago. Still not sure if it's permanent or not. Really liked Victoria, but it's soooooo far away, and that time difference is a killer for communications. Not sure we would move back to anywhere else.

Our sons are in Ottawa, which is about the same distance, but it feels further somehow.

But no problems with doing it. We've had good times with family and old friends, enjoyed European travel plus visiting all kinds of places here we'd missed in our youth, and all the other joys of England.

Cheers,

Bev
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Rodney, due to this Mayan prediction, I am having a hard time deciding if I should clean the house today or if it will be a waste of time. I suppose I had better get my rubber gloves on and quit using this as an excuse to avoid scrubbing the tub.

Hope you and all the other posters have a very happy Christmas complete with the Downton Abbey special.
Yea.....the world didn't come to an end!!!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:57 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Does this mean that the Mayan's were using GMT as the deadline? Just as well I did my housework after all .
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Darn, does that mean I'll have to pay off my credit cards now?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
That's why we came back from Victoria three years ago. Still not sure if it's permanent or not. Really liked Victoria, but it's soooooo far away, and that time difference is a killer for communications. Not sure we would move back to anywhere else.

Our sons are in Ottawa, which is about the same distance, but it feels further somehow.

But no problems with doing it. We've had good times with family and old friends, enjoyed European travel plus visiting all kinds of places here we'd missed in our youth, and all the other joys of England.

Cheers,

Bev
I love Victoria! I think it is the most British place in all of North America. That's one of the reasons I like it. They don't seem to have as many pastry shops as they use to when I was there in 2011.

Have you said where in England you live?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.