British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Celticspirit Dec 19th 2012 1:46 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10440917)
I have never heard the word, pleb, before have any of you?
How is it pronounced?

I haven't heard the word used here, but it was pretty commonly used in the UK while I lived there 40 years ago.

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 19th 2012 3:55 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10439398)
Hello Fish, Long time no see/speak! I cannot for the life of me, see why, as most folks have a PC and printer, folks do not do as I do? Use Either Microsoft Publisher, or Serif Page Plus, and create their own personal ones? - Top quality, and individual. - very easy..... Don

Hello Don, when we bought our first computer I thought we would make our own cards, it just never happened, not sure why.

Pollyana Dec 19th 2012 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10440940)
I haven't heard the word used here, but it was pretty commonly used in the UK while I lived there 40 years ago.

Same here in Aus - well, not common in Brisbane certainly, I've used it a couple of times cos I used to say it back home, but I get blank looks here!

lf1 Dec 19th 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10440924)
Just means a commoner, ordinary person; plebs as opposed to the wealthy, landowning types!

Comes from the Latin plebeian as it originates in Roman times.

When I read this, it reminded me of a song which contains the line "too plebian". I couldn't remember the title so I looked it up. I will now be singing "Cry Me a River" all day long.:)

dontheturner Dec 19th 2012 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10440940)

How Strange!

I was born here, in 1930, and was only ever out of the UK for 4 years, till now, and had to ask someone, what the word meant, a few weeks ago! - when the ''Story'' broke on TV.

I think it was mainly used by the ''upper crust''. Don

aries Dec 19th 2012 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10441051)
Hello Don, when we bought our first computer I thought we would make our own cards, it just never happened, not sure why.

Probably because using ink cartridges works out more expensive than buying cards?

My Canon printer in Australia used 5 cartridges at $26 each, so it could be a costly exercise except for the odd occasion.

dontheturner Dec 19th 2012 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10441699)
Probably because using ink cartridges works out more expensive than buying cards?

My Canon printer in Australia used 5 cartridges at $26 each, so it could be a costly exercise except for the odd occasion.

Never used Makers originals - always used Refilled - loads of choice on Ebay - so cheap. - I have done loads this year, and they last for ages. Don

Bevm Dec 20th 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10441981)
Never used Makers originals - always used Refilled - loads of choice on Ebay - so cheap. - I have done loads this year, and they last for ages. Don

I refill my own. Even cheaper. A bit fiddly, but once you get the hang of it it's easy. Wear plastic gloves, though!

Bev

scot47 Dec 20th 2012 12:22 pm

PLEBS is the Latin for "the common people, the masses"
In the Roman Republic there were two officials designated as "Tribuna Plebis" - Tribune of the Common People.

Ah the benefits of a classical education !

dunroving Dec 20th 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10443573)
In the Roman Republic there were two officials designated as "Tribuna Plebis" - Tribune of the Common People.

And in Roman society, pleb would not be considered an insult. It's only become that way through being hijacked by toffs.

Pollyana Dec 20th 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10441313)
When I read this, it reminded me of a song which contains the line "too plebian". I couldn't remember the title so I looked it up. I will now be singing "Cry Me a River" all day long.:)

Beautiful song :thumbup:

jasper123 Dec 20th 2012 2:07 pm

Sally,
The card I received from my friend saying happy holidays, Hmmmm then you said about your Jewish friends it made me think ----- because my friend is also indeed Jewish, and all his cards to me over the years have not had the word Christmas on them.
Don,
Me too, when the story broke a while ago and this funny word Pleb was used,
I said to people in my family what the heck it meant and they knew what it meant but said its never used anymore, and I have never heard it said in the U.S. or anywhere before.

Celticspirit Dec 20th 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10443573)

I agree...five years of Latin in grammar school with those beastly nuns ;-(

aries Dec 20th 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10441981)

I knew someone would say that. Tried it with a number of companies and was so dissatisfied, I went back to using Epson and Canon cartridges.

However I might try it in England, I'm not printing much these days.

jasper123 Dec 20th 2012 10:36 pm

WELL IF THE WORLD DOES INDEED END TOMORROW LIKE CERTAIN PEOPLE IN MEXICO ARE SAYING :( :eek::eek::eek: ------ then let me be the first on here to say ---- you have all been a swell group of people, and it has been my absolute pleasure to have known you all, and thanks to everyone that has helped me in so many ways in making my dream a reality,

But if 11pm tomorrow comes and we are all still in one piece then lets carry on chatting :D :thumbsup:

Is everyone in the U.S. getting as much coverage about this on the TV as we are getting in U.K. ?

They said that the movie with John Cusac that was made a couple years ago named (2012) was inspired by the 5,000 year old calender in Mexico that ends on December 21st 2012

Good luck everyone ----- and keep safe!!!!! :unsure:
Love Rodney.