British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Dec 9th 2012 1:00 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Dr Martin tonight was first broadcast in 2007 so its pretty old.

sallysimmons Dec 9th 2012 9:37 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10423329)
Thanks for the update, now to spend time on researching Airedale.

You made my day.

Cheers

Not sure I really gave you what you're looking for as Airedale is a big area and I'm not even sure our new house is strictly in it. It's just the general vicinity we'll be living. Our new house wasn't listed online as we found it before it reached the market - but one day, when I'm settled in, I'll share a few pictures :)

All seems to be going well with the sale - mortgage approved, valuation came back OK. Now we're just waiting for lawyers to do their thing and that can take forever.

jasper123 Dec 9th 2012 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10423459)
Don't much like the Florida heat either, and even the sunshine became overrated when you had the benefit of it every day. We used to get a lot more rain in the past too but, as with everywhere else, our climate is changing, apparently for the drier. Was wondering how I would adjust being home, but I think I will do just fine. I responded to your earlier welcome message to me, but don't know if you saw it. I asked how your mum was. I do hope she is well.

Oops :o O yes I did see your post and forgot to answer it, thank you for asking about my Mum, she is fine, although she is 94 in June and I am 68 in June ----- sometimes when we are out somewhere together people that dont know us sometimes mistake us as a married couple, meaning that my Mum does not look anywhere near her age, on the flip side unfortunately it makes me think Im looking much older beyond my years :frown:

she walks straight but much slower these days, she has all her wits about her, and can talk the hind leg off a donkey :D and she still drives her car, which is good cause I would not feel safe driving on these narrow streets over here, and it amazes me how people get used to the roundabouts, there everywhere ;)
of course we have our ups & downs, she is sometimes overbearing, but then Im sure I am too, my Dads been dead for 23 years so mum has lived alone for all that time, and me also alone in America for far longer then that, we are both used to our privacy, but Ive been home now for 2 years and we are slowly getting used to each other all over again,
One thing I am realizing is when we expats return home after decades of being living in another country it does take some time to get in a comfortable relationship with our relatives again, it takes a lot of work on our part, and a lot of time before they except you as one of them again, instead of ---- that guy over there, so we have to try to work ourselves back again into there lives.

cheers Dec 9th 2012 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10424516)
I am 68 in June -----

Lets see if we can look at this differently. You were just 50, 18 years ago.;)

cheers Dec 9th 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10424054)
Not sure I really gave you what you're looking for as Airedale is a big area and I'm not even sure our new house is strictly in it. It's just the general vicinity we'll be living. Our new house wasn't listed online as we found it before it reached the market - but one day, when I'm settled in, I'll share a few pictures :)

All seems to be going well with the sale - mortgage approved, valuation came back OK. Now we're just waiting for lawyers to do their thing and that can take forever.

Is that the Airedale in Castleford?

I'm glad all is going well with the transaction! Will it be March before you can move in?

Bevm Dec 9th 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10423265)
Except Ziplocs, which are available in the UK, too....In the ''Lakelands Catalogue, for sure.

Can you point to them? I tried some zip type plastic bags from there and they were bad. Can't remember why now. You can get zip-top bags here and there, but they're thin and the zip is feeble. There are some with sliders, which are totally useless. IMO.

I've found okay ones in Spain. Why not here?

Bev

rebs Dec 9th 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10423265)
Except Ziplocs, which are available in the UK, too....In the ''Lakelands Catalogue, for sure.

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10424590)
Can you point to them? I tried some zip type plastic bags from there and they were bad. Can't remember why now. You can get zip-top bags here and there, but they're thin and the zip is feeble. There are some with sliders, which are totally useless. IMO.

I've found okay ones in Spain. Why not here?

Bev

Don - 'Ziploc' is the name of a specific brand - you can get bags that have a similar closing mechanism in the stores here (including Lakeland), but not that exact brand.

Bev - If you get really desperate you can order some from Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eywords=ziploc

dontheturner Dec 9th 2012 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10424597)
Don - 'Ziploc' is the name of a specific brand - you can get bags that have a similar closing mechanism in the stores here (including Lakeland), but not that exact brand.

Bev - If you get really desperate you can order some from Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eywords=ziploc

Yes, I get what you are saying is correct, but the ones they currently sell, seem to work just fine. Not had a failure, myself. Don

Perth Dec 9th 2012 6:40 pm

Oops :o O yes I did see your post and forgot to answer it, thank you for asking about my Mum, she is fine, although she is 94 in June and I am 68 in June ----- sometimes when we are out somewhere together people that dont know us sometimes mistake us as a married couple, meaning that my Mum does not look anywhere near her age, on the flip side unfortunately it makes me think Im looking much older beyond my years :frown:

she walks straight but much slower these days, she has all her wits about her, and can talk the hind leg off a donkey :D and she still drives her car, which is good cause I would not feel safe driving on these narrow streets over here, and it amazes me how people get used to the roundabouts, there everywhere ;)
of course we have our ups & downs, she is sometimes overbearing, but then Im sure I am too, my Dads been dead for 23 years so mum has lived alone for all that time, and me also alone in America for far longer then that, we are both used to our privacy, but Ive been home now for 2 years and we are slowly getting used to each other all over again,
One thing I am realizing is when we expats return home after decades of being living in another country it does take some time to get in a comfortable relationship with our relatives again, it takes a lot of work on our part, and a lot of time before they except you as one of them again, instead of ---- that guy over there, so we have to try to work ourselves back again into there lives.

I laughed about your mum. What a firecracker she must be :rofl:

Understand how hard it is the settle back in with the rellies. I went back to London for almost 2 years in 1988 after graduating college in the US, and lived with my grandmother. She had just been in a car accident and the family was looking for someone to live in. I just happened to arrive then with no place to live and no job...so it was a perfect fit. Fortunately, we got along famously. Not as close with the rest, certainly not close enough to ask for a place to land. When we get there we plan on doing it all on our own (hence the excessive planning 4 years in advance) but will certainly visit them as often as they will have us.

One thing I wanted to ask you about...I remember you had that little run-in with your friend in LV. I have 3 good girlfriends here, well I would have to say 2 now. One has not taken the news that I am leaving well, I think. She won't answer my texts, except in a short, curt way - weeks later, and is always too busy to meet. I don't quite know what to make of this since my reaction, as sad as I may be to see someone go from my daily life, would be to rejoice in their happiness, and want to be a part of their last days here, and help sort, pack, etc. :confused:

between two worlds Dec 9th 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10421689)
Tina, my daughter let us know that she is a traveler and a wanderer at heart, so that we should not make any plans around her since she plans on being as mobile as she can for as long as she can. I don't foresee us living in the same state for any period of time if we were to remain, so, like I said, we would likely be a plane ride away anyway. I do hope it works out for you and your kids.

:

Pretty much what my kids have said, so I need to relax about it, but at the same time do not want to consign myself to hardly ever being able to see them....ah well.

Thanks for the wishes!

Good luck re choosing a place...I don't know Norwich, I have been to Southwold and other nice coastal bits. An aunt and uncle of mine years ago chose Lowestoft to live in specifically because it has the most hours or days of sunshine in Britain, or something like that!

Tina

jasper123 Dec 9th 2012 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10424691)
I laughed about your mum. What a firecracker she must be :rofl:

Understand how hard it is the settle back in with the rellies. I went back to London for almost 2 years in 1988 after graduating college in the US, and lived with my grandmother. She had just been in a car accident and the family was looking for someone to live in. I just happened to arrive then with no place to live and no job...so it was a perfect fit. Fortunately, we got along famously. Not as close with the rest, certainly not close enough to ask for a place to land. When we get there we plan on doing it all on our own (hence the excessive planning 4 years in advance) but will certainly visit them as often as they will have us.

One thing I wanted to ask you about...I remember you had that little run-in with your friend in LV. I have 3 good girlfriends here, well I would have to say 2 now. One has not taken the news that I am leaving well, I think. She won't answer my texts, except in a short, curt way - weeks later, and is always too busy to meet. I don't quite know what to make of this since my reaction, as sad as I may be to see someone go from my daily life, would be to rejoice in their happiness, and want to be a part of their last days here, and help sort, pack, etc. :confused:

Yes your right my friend in Vegas got in a bit of a tiff with me and we didn't talk to each other for quite some time, but it was nothing to do with me leaving Vegas to come home, he was fine with that and totally understood my reasons,
But thankfully we made up 10 months before I left and it turned out that he helped me so much with my sorting/selling stuff, donating stuff, and even helping me pack my 4 large suitcases to keep them each under 50 pounds in weight, anyway I have known him now since 6 months after 911 so thats 11 years, he has always been such a good friend to me, more then a friend, he is to me the Brother that I never had, he has always been there for me, nothing is ever too much to ask of him, that to me is a real true friend in every sense of the word, and I was very lucky to meet him, Ive never had too many friends over my life, but more in America then I ever had here in UK, even though Im home now, we continue to email each other on a regular basis, he's originally from New York.

Mummy in the foothills Dec 10th 2012 12:36 am

I had a look at Lakeland, they have a lot but they seem expensive and have self seal on some and some say reusable, not sure I was to wash out plastic bags may a well use Tupperware, it's easier to clean out.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/in-the-kit...s/freezer-bags

J.JsOH Dec 11th 2012 3:27 pm

Oops :o

I just gave in and bought myself a SatNav because of roundabouts, inappropriate lanes and poor signage.
I have no problem driving the length of the country but getting the right lane in built up areas in heavy traffic in unfamiliar places has become something I need help with. I got fed up with having to take the wrong exit cos I was in wrong lane or going around roundabouts a couple times to find the correct exit.

sallysimmons Dec 11th 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10424584)
Is that the Airedale in Castleford?

NOOOO! I was brought up reasonably near Castleford and I can't think of anything that would make me live there, except maybe a nuclear winter in the entire rest of the country ;-)

Airedale is a large dale south of the Yorkshire Dales national park that extends from the outskirts of Leeds over to Lancashire.

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 11th 2012 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10427834)
I just gave in and bought myself a SatNav because of roundabouts, inappropriate lanes and poor signage.
I have no problem driving the length of the country but getting the right lane in built up areas in heavy traffic in unfamiliar places has become something I need help with. I got fed up with having to take the wrong exit cos I was in wrong lane or going around roundabouts a couple times to find the correct exit.

John, I know what you mean about roundabouts they do get confusing sometimes.

I'm sure you will find your SatNav very useful at times, mine has saved me time in traffic accident holds ups, diverting me down streets Id never go, around the problem area's.