Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I agree.....it's quite expensive. We usually go at Christmas time. How do LV prices compare to the web site I sent you?
celtic I just had a quick look at that web site and a small box of Weetabix
(24 biscuits) for $6.99 was the biggest shocker, I used to get the same box in Vegas for $2.14 at trader joes, that was the only place that sold them in town, except the british import store and they sold them for $4.50,
Ambrosia cans of creamed rice or custard here in U.K are 50p a can at most stores, at your dallas store $3 a can so thats 6 times more, quite a mark up even considering the shipping and duty,
But the prices for most things there were pretty close to most items in my Vegas British import store, Dallas was a little more expensive on a lot of things though,
But then for those who still have not made that gigantic leap across the ocean yet then even though the British treats are expensive at least you can buy them, or some of them anyway, the range is quite limited though,
Me thinks that the people who live in many parts of Florida and seek out british import stores that the prices maybe much cheaper, cause of the massive British Population who live permanently in Florida,
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Not if the Government has its way! They want to increase the price of booze to stop the youngsters from overconsuming! It does not work, like cigarettes, the younger generation will always find a way to buy their fags and booze (even those on benefits) and those of us who like a tipple and are really enjoying the lower prices in the UK will pay the price! I saw that Tesco are offering a case of wine (bin ends assorted reds) for 30 pounds and got very excited! Told OH that I could move back tomorrow just to get that deal! I could buy enough at that price to last me a year!
If the minimum price were established via a minimum alcohol tax, at least the money could (note I didn't say "would") be used to offset the additional costs to the NHS, emergency services, etc., of alcohol consumption, especially over-consumption.

And if this prevents supermarket chains using deliberately underpriced alcohol to get people in the store, it might also help to alleviate the problem encountered by pubs. [Do you like that? notice I cross-referenced another thread ... ]

In a TV debate the other day, a conservative MP didn't even know how the minimum price would be achieved (i.e., would it be additional alcohol tax, or simply increased price/increased revenue for the supermarket chains). Honestly, politicians seem to get more like schoolkids every day - come on, do your homework for goodness' sake.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You'll have to do what my Mum does, bring two suitcases, one inside the other, then you have one to fill for the return journey and pay for it in one direction only. She takes zip lock bags, and a few other bits, not tin foil though.
This is giving me good ideas of what to stock up on to send back to UK in my shipping boxes
Over two years back and we are still using the huge roll of Sams Club aluminum foil we shipped back.

I wish I had brought back a few wire coat hangers too but I threw them all out.
Not that I hang clothes on wire hangers - but they do bend up into shapes to use as reaching tools or for garden plant supports, drain pipe un-cloggers and such. Here they are not provided with Dry-cleaning or shop purchased clothes but I since found them for purchase at Wilkinson's
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Not if the Government has its way! They want to increase the price of booze to stop the youngsters from overconsuming! It does not work, like cigarettes, the younger generation will always find a way to buy their fags and booze (even those on benefits) and those of us who like a tipple and are really enjoying the lower prices in the UK will pay the price! I saw that Tesco are offering a case of wine (bin ends assorted reds) for 30 pounds and got very excited! Told OH that I could move back tomorrow just to get that deal! I could buy enough at that price to last me a year!
If they want to stop youngsters from overconsuming wouldn't it make more sense to raise the drinking age, kids always have the money or know how to find it.

I find that some of my relatives attitude about letting the young ones drink in the UK is far too lax, 16 is one thing 12& 13 is another, I just think its a very bad idea at that age, I did open my mouth but some were not interested.

My Dad would let us have shandy at a young age but Ive seen kids drinking real booze, Its a recipe for problem drinking and all the issues that come with it.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Dec 3rd 2012 at 3:51 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
celtic I just had a quick look at that web site and a small box of Weetabix
(24 biscuits) for $6.99 was the biggest shocker, I used to get the same box in Vegas for $2.14 at trader joes, that was the only place that sold them in town, except the british import store and they sold them for $4.50,
Ambrosia cans of creamed rice or custard here in U.K are 50p a can at most stores, at your dallas store $3 a can so thats 6 times more, quite a mark up even considering the shipping and duty,
But the prices for most things there were pretty close to most items in my Vegas British import store, Dallas was a little more expensive on a lot of things though,
But then for those who still have not made that gigantic leap across the ocean yet then even though the British treats are expensive at least you can buy them, or some of them anyway, the range is quite limited though,
Me thinks that the people who live in many parts of Florida and seek out british import stores that the prices maybe much cheaper, cause of the massive British Population who live permanently in Florida,
Rodney.....what a big difference in prices. We don't go to the shop very often, but when we do, it is always incredibly busy and very well stocked.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
If they want to stop youngsters from overconsuming wouldn't it make more sense to raise the drinking age, kids always have the money or know how to find it.

I find that some of my relatives attitude about letting the young ones drink in the UK is far too lax, 16 is one thing 12& 13 is another, I just think its a very bad idea at that age, I did open my mouth but some were not interested.

My Dad would let us have shandy at a young age but Ive seen kids drinking real booze, Its a recipe for problem drinking and all the issues that come with it.
Lack of parental control, peer pressure and one's own personal sense of responsibility (not yet developed in youngsters) and availability plays, I suspect, as much if not more than the influence of price.

Part of the problem I fear is from the alcohol industry itself that markets alcoh-pops that appeal to sweet toothed kids.

I think the problem requires that society deem excess drinking unacceptable, price alone won't do it unless price gets so expensive that no one can afford it.

While role models such as sportsmen and tv personalities and film stars are seen on tv and in newspapers to be smashed then the easily influenced will follow the example in order to be cool.

I would like to see a movement by the famous in society to set a trend of alcohol responsibility.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I have to say you have really opened my eyes when it comes to Norfolk. I had thought it would be a lovely place to live, but it sounds just awful. We've been back 8 months now and have still to hear an angry word from a stranger. People smile when they pass you on a footpath and on the rare occasion that the person doesn't smile, I'm always surprised. As for drivers - so courteous!
Norfolk is indeed lovely.
If one were to live in a village or coast and drive to nice locations or to the out-of-town grocery store and dine in the better pubs then one would never see the oiks up to their tricks in the population centres
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to think that would be an effective means of solving the issue but I've got my doubts, I think you hit on the key when you mentioned attitudes and unfortunately that's a whole lot harder to change. When I was 13 the drinking age in the province where I lived was 21 and I could get liquor any time I liked if I had wanted it...and NOT from my parents either I might add. I guess I can thank them for the attitudes they did have with regard to underage drinking, I only got hammered once. I recall seeing a documentary several years ago that stated Iceland at that time had the highest rate of alcoholism in the world and their legal drinking age was 23!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Rodney, are there any US stores for American expat foodies in the UK? You might find Miracle Whip. We have several British ones in Dallas notably www.british-emporium.com. It is ten miles from my house. Have a peek.
I bought Old Bay Seasoning online in UK from a business selling US foods.
Can't remember the site but I recall the vendor also had a stall on Cambridge market.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Lack of parental control, peer pressure and one's own personal sense of responsibility (not yet developed in youngsters) and availability plays, I suspect, as much if not more than the influence of price.

Part of the problem I fear is from the alcohol industry itself that markets alcoh-pops that appeal to sweet toothed kids.

I think the problem requires that society deem excess drinking unacceptable, price alone won't do it unless price gets so expensive that no one can afford it.

While role models such as sportsmen and tv personalities and film stars are seen on tv and in newspapers to be smashed then the easily influenced will follow the example in order to be cool.

I would like to see a movement by the famous in society to set a trend of alcohol responsibility.
Very well said, I totally agree.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
It would be nice to think that would be an effective means of solving the issue but I've got my doubts, I think you hit on the key when you mentioned attitudes and unfortunately that's a whole lot harder to change. When I was 13 the drinking age in the province where I lived was 21 and I could get liquor any time I liked if I had wanted it...and NOT from my parents either I might add. I guess I can thank them for the attitudes they did have with regard to underage drinking, I only got hammered once. I recall seeing a documentary several years ago that stated Iceland at that time had the highest rate of alcoholism in the world and their legal drinking age was 23!
I understand your reason for doubts, No system is perfect, people will always get something if they really want it bad enough, using friends or family etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Fish,
Im glad I came from a State that the legal drinking age was 21 (NEVADA)
and my views on young people drinking these days is ----- in the U.K. especially as there are so many binge drinkers from 13 to 35 is to raise the legal drinking age to 36, and Im serious, there you go problem solved, I knew I should have become a politician, I think I would have made a good senator, but I know I couldn't have got the top Job (President) because I wasn't born in America
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:31 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353

Your tips on locations sound smart in terms of demographics of where to set up shop & clientele, and I think it's promising that American items are becoming more popular in the UK. That is a good sign. I want the experience of eating out at my establishment to be fun and memorable for a paying customer. The return trip to a resturant should be as much about the food as it is about the feeling you experience when you walk through the door.Customer service is important. Rodney, have you allways wanted to run a resturant? The way you described that Vegas eatery and it's tasty food you presented like a person that know his way around the kitchen. Just saying!!
I'm a bit late to the conversation I know but I wanted to let you know that I think it's a great idea and I'd recommend sticking with cities or large 'hip' towns as Rodney said, simply because you'd have a bigger pool of customers. (I could see something like this in Brighton or Manchester, for example).

Brits see American diners and restaurants on TV and the idea of going into on one would appeal if done well.

My own two cents though is that I think people here would be less likely to try something new if they didn't know anything on the menu. But if something on the menu was familiar and appealing enough, they'd come in and then start to learn about the other foods. That's how it was with Indian and Chinese restaurants back in the day.

So if it were me, I might center my branding on, say, southern fried chicken (which everyone here loves) but make sure the advertising and store front sold that it was the real deal - real American southern fried chicken. And also make sure the atmosphere is what Brits think of as American, including hiring American wait staff if possible (in big cities there should be students available). Selling really good burgers would help too - even if that's not actually authentic - because people here love a burger and it would be another way to draw them in with the familiar.

Then I'd market the more unusual stuff by educating people on it somehow within the restaurant - like maybe a blackboard where everyday you feature another foodstuff and explain what it is and how it tastes. (Biscuits would be a revelation here as we already like savory scones, but think a biscuit is something covered in chocolate that you dip in your tea).

If eating there was a complete American experience - including the drinks, the music, the decor etc. - I bet it would do really well.

I don't know if any of this is helpful but I did want to just say I think it's a great idea - and also to say that if you stick with the bigger cities as already discussed, you'd have the advantage of an American clientele built in.

Oooh, one other thought. One of the world's largest spy bases is near me and it's staffed by Americans. There is even an American school in Harrogate. I often hear American accents as we walk round. I'm just wondering if it might be worth choosing a town like that, where you have a built-in population of people who are homesick for American food.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we could get Pam cooking spray, anyone seen it?
I just checked my cupboards to see the brand name of the one I bought - it's called 'Fry Light' and comes in a greenish can with a dark green top. It's in the aisle with the olive oil.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:42 am
Finally Home!

I haven't missed a single thing from America food-wise - I thought the food there was awful for the most part - way too meat-focused and fatty for me and the chocolate was so bad I was never tempted. I am so enjoying the food here that I just had to see a hypnotherapist to help me control all the cravings! (Seems to have worked too, if anyone else is having the same problem).

But the one thing I do miss is being able to buy more than 16 pain killers at a time. What the hell is that about? I used to buy one big tub of Advil and then it would sit in the cupboard for whenever we needed it. Now there's only this little packet and if someone else has used it without me knowing, I'm out of luck when I really need pain relief. Drives me nuts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.