Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
No we don't bother looking at Lakeland Cam much because, like you say, w're here now. As for weather, it's finally raining a bit today but we really haven't had much at all this month. We were out in the countryside both Saturday and Sunday - although it was very cold on Saturday!

We went to the house at the weekend to drop off a gift for the owners - they just lost one of their dogs to cancer so we took toys for the other one. They told us they've put an offer in on a house, so it looks like I can stop worrying that they'll change their minds!
Sally Im very happy now that we are getting some rain it was starting to feel like Vegas way too dry!!!!
Today its that lovely drizzle rain, and yesterday it rained all day long ---- that was nice so Im going for a nice long walk along the sea front now, I love the smell of the sea, especially when its raining ----- Hmmmm absolutely lovely, cheerio for now,
Rodney.
Sally at the end of this month is my first two year anniversary of being back home, for me life in England just seems to be getting better all the time, and Im loving my new life and I love being retired, ------ how about you?
When I was in the States before I left I thought that I was getting old at 67, but I was wrong, now I live in a city where you see so many people in there 90's and 100's age group ---- and living with my good old Mum of 93 makes me feel soooooooo young
And this morning I got a surprise visit at 9am from my Son, he stayed for 45 minutes, he is 38, the last time I saw him was about a year ago, he lives a 10 minute walk from my house Oh well he does work hard I suppose, I try and contact him from time to time to go around and see him but he's never home, apparently always at work, Oh well maybe Ill see him in another year from now?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Did anyone happen to see "Last Tango in Halifax" on BBC last night? Takes place in the Skipton area, I really enjoyed it but of course it had a storyline close to my heart - two old school friends meeting up after 50 years on Facebook

I quite like the shorter duration of tv series over here (6-8 episodes as opposed to 16 or so with American series programs). It's not without it's downside - once this year's Downtown Abbey Christmas Special has come and gone we've got to wait a good 9 months for more. However, on the positive side, you're not plagued by constant re-runs because something new usually comes on after one series finishes. We also get to see actors in completely different roles throughout the year (just look at Downton's Miss O'Brien vs Benidorm's Janice Garvey for example!) and I'm sure they enjoy the idea of playing a variety of characters as well. Last night's "Last Tango" featured Sarah Lancaster as a present day head teacher after appearing in the same time slot in the weeks before as Miss Audrey, the head of the Ladies Wear in Victorian "The Paradise" - there's a contrast for you.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:52 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Did anyone happen to see "Last Tango in Halifax" on BBC last night? Takes place in the Skipton area, I really enjoyed it but of course it had a storyline close to my heart - two old school friends meeting up after 50 years on Facebook

I quite like the shorter duration of tv series over here (6-8 episodes as opposed to 16 or so with American series programs). It's not without it's downside - once this year's Downtown Abbey Christmas Special has come and gone we've got to wait a good 9 months for more. However, on the positive side, you're not plagued by constant re-runs because something new usually comes on after one series finishes. We also get to see actors in completely different roles throughout the year (just look at Downton's Miss O'Brien vs Benidorm's Janice Garvey for example!) and I'm sure they enjoy the idea of playing a variety of characters as well. Last night's "Last Tango" featured Sarah Lancaster as a present day head teacher after appearing in the same time slot in the weeks before as Miss Audrey, the head of the Ladies Wear in Victorian "The Paradise" - there's a contrast for you.
I watched it and enjoyed it - I think it shows great promise. Lots of story lines and interesting characters. I was surprised to see familiar faces from recent series and wondered if the BBC just rotates actors and actresses between programmes but it does show their ability to play different roles.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't going to watch it but it happened to be on and I really enjoyed it. I do sometimes wish the scriptwriters would be just a little more inventive (some of the characters like the cad husband and the Peter Pan uncle are just too easy to create). But generally it was easy on the eyeballs - and of course the central premise can't be accused of being unrealistic.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I wasn't going to watch it but it happened to be on and I really enjoyed it. I do sometimes wish the scriptwriters would be just a little more inventive (some of the characters like the cad husband and the Peter Pan uncle are just too easy to create). But generally it was easy on the eyeballs - and of course the central premise can't be accused of being unrealistic.
Ur right, the dad and the uncle were both dirtbags - easy fodder.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:54 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sally Im very happy now that we are getting some rain it was starting to feel like Vegas way too dry!!!!
Today its that lovely drizzle rain, and yesterday it rained all day long ---- that was nice so Im going for a nice long walk along the sea front now, I love the smell of the sea, especially when its raining ----- Hmmmm absolutely lovely, cheerio for now,
Rodney.
Sally at the end of this month is my first two year anniversary of being back home, for me life in England just seems to be getting better all the time, and Im loving my new life and I love being retired, ------ how about you?
When I was in the States before I left I thought that I was getting old at 67, but I was wrong, now I live in a city where you see so many people in there 90's and 100's age group ---- and living with my good old Mum of 93 makes me feel soooooooo young
And this morning I got a surprise visit at 9am from my Son, he stayed for 45 minutes, he is 38, the last time I saw him was about a year ago, he lives a 10 minute walk from my house Oh well he does work hard I suppose, I try and contact him from time to time to go around and see him but he's never home, apparently always at work, Oh well maybe Ill see him in another year from now?
Wow Rodney, Two Years, my how time has flown. I remember, when I was a lurker, following your story and hearing all about you packing and sorting in the Vegas heat. I am glad that you are enjoying being home and thanks for continuing to post.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:04 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Drat!!! I forgot to watch it. B***** football was on. I hope I have recorded it as I really liked the sound of it. I can understand why it would strike a chord with you Curleytops. I'll be thinking of you when I finally get to see it. I have never seen Benidorm, but I did see the actress who plays Miss O'Brien being interviewed and was struck by the difference between the actor and the character.

I still haven't watched the final episode of The Paradise. From some comments I have read, I am not sure if I will bother. Does anybody watch Coronation Street? What is with the outfit that Eva was wearing to work, the other day? The red number, that didn't leave a lot to the imagination and the "very classy" low cut back. Ladies, please cover up the underwear it just looks so "common". I must be getting old, as I am starting to sound like my gran.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I watched it and enjoyed it - I think it shows great promise. Lots of story lines and interesting characters. I was surprised to see familiar faces from recent series and wondered if the BBC just rotates actors and actresses between programmes but it does show their ability to play different roles.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, a nice gentle story, with excellent acting from the two main characters, OK their families are a bit overpowering, but it promises to be a great series.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Drat!!! I forgot to watch it. B***** football was on. I hope I have recorded it as I really liked the sound of it. I can understand why it would strike a chord with you Curleytops. I'll be thinking of you when I finally get to see it. I have never seen Benidorm, but I did see the actress who plays Miss O'Brien being interviewed and was struck by the difference between the actor and the character.

I still haven't watched the final episode of The Paradise. From some comments I have read, I am not sure if I will bother. Does anybody watch Coronation Street? What is with the outfit that Eva was wearing to work, the other day? The red number, that didn't leave a lot to the imagination and the "very classy" low cut back. Ladies, please cover up the underwear it just looks so "common". I must be getting old, as I am starting to sound like my gran.
"Last Tango" is on the BBC iPlayer, I watched it this morning. Watching Corrie as we speak. Eva's fashion sense certainly needs a makeover, I thought that getup looked like a zipper had let go in back or something.
Spoiler:
I loved the look on Steve's face when Eva's knee landed squarely in Rob's groin last week...completely priceless.
The new Benidorm will start in April sometime but if you can catch it from the start on DVD it's a blast!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Wow Rodney, Two Years, my how time has flown. I remember, when I was a lurker, following your story and hearing all about you packing and sorting in the Vegas heat. I am glad that you are enjoying being home and thanks for continuing to post.
Thanks If1, yes I remember you replied to a few of my posts while I was still in Vegas, so you quickly changed from a lurker to a poster way back then
And thank you for continuing to post from Scotland too,
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would post to say that we are having severe weather here in Devon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-20422830

Flooding all over, even here in Dawlish. Stay dry!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Today we're going to vote for the first time since we got back - county police commissioner elections. I'm very excited!
This is one of the things I'm looking forward to doing! As someone who has never voted in the UK because i left as a child, I can't wait to cast my first ballot.

I can truly understand ur excitement
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Just thought I would post to say that we are having severe weather here in Devon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-20422830

Flooding all over, even here in Dawlish. Stay dry!
How dreadful - hope you're okay and your apartment doesn't get flooded. I just finished watching "Nova" on my local PBS station. It was about Hurricane Sandy that caused so much damage in the NE US about 3 weeks ago. It really is frightening what is happening to the planet - rising sea levels due to global warming, etc. Very scary...........
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

To all of you in the US (and Americans overseas) - Happy Thanksgiving!! Enjoy your "turkey day"!!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:45 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

"Last Tango" is on the BBC iPlayer, I watched it this morning. Watching Corrie as we speak. Eva's fashion sense certainly needs a makeover, I thought that getup looked like a zipper had let go in back or something.
Spoiler:
I loved the look on Steve's face when Eva's knee landed squarely in Rob's groin last week...completely priceless.
The new Benidorm will start in April sometime but if you can catch it from the start on DVD it's a blast!
Completely agree and a black bra too boot.
I loved the bit in the hotel
Can't wait for the new Benidorm I think that is my guilty pleasure show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.