British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Celticspirit Nov 18th 2012 2:27 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Sorry.....my message to Cheers appeared in four times back to back and so I deleted it :-( Sorry....
I HATE practical gifts....but this quite sensible.... No leaks from attic like we experienced previously.

bandrui Nov 18th 2012 5:49 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10387886)
Wow Christmas came and went so fast this year.....

I got a Christmas card from England in the post yesterday and we had our eggnog and Toblerone bar.

For Christmas I got a surprise, I got a brand new gas water heater for $1100 installed. Actually the heater was $850 including installation and then the plummer said unless I got my water pressure valve replaced all my pipes could blow. I had water pressure, coming into the house, at 150 lbs and the maximum should have only been 75 lbs, so there went another $210 to replace the valve.

I now need a big bow around the heater to remind me what Santa gave me for Christmas.:frown:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We are off to California for two weeks! I will stay in contact in case anyone posts on here.

Cheers

I think plumbers are aiming to be in the 1%. :frown:

UK IFA Nov 18th 2012 7:04 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
It's Coming to that time of year when I wish I was back in Calgary, Canada.

Eggnog, hot buttered rum, skiing, ice fishing etc.

Those were the days :-)

jasper123 Nov 18th 2012 10:36 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by UK IFA (Post 10388458)
It's Coming to that time of year when I wish I was back in Calgary, Canada.

Eggnog, hot buttered rum, skiing, ice fishing etc.

Those were the days :-)

UKIFA
Hello UKIFA Welcome, how long have you been back home? Ive been back 2 years. let us know your story, we love new stories from new people,
Rodney.

curleytops Nov 18th 2012 11:34 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10387886)
Wow Christmas came and went so fast this year.....

I got a Christmas card from England in the post yesterday and we had our eggnog and Toblerone bar.

For Christmas I got a surprise, I got a brand new gas water heater for $1100 installed. Actually the heater was $850 including installation and then the plummer said unless I got my water pressure valve replaced all my pipes could blow. I had water pressure, coming into the house, at 150 lbs and the maximum should have only been 75 lbs, so there went another $210 to replace the valve.

I now need a big bow around the heater to remind me what Santa gave me for Christmas.:frown:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We are off to California for two weeks! I will stay in contact in case anyone posts on here.

Cheers

Have a great time in California Cheers and for what its worth....I know unexpected expenses suck especially at this time of year but ask my neighbour in Canada about the burst pipes she came home to....she needed the entire house gutted. Happy Thanksgiving from the plumber's wife ;)

cheers Nov 18th 2012 3:59 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10388752)
Have a great time in California Cheers and for what its worth....I know unexpected expenses suck especially at this time of year but ask my neighbour in Canada about the burst pipes she came home to....she needed the entire house gutted. Happy Thanksgiving from the plumber's wife ;)

Agreed!
Think of the bright side (isn't there a song with that title?) Anyway as you say we are blessed because it happened before we left. I hate to think what would have happened if we had been away.
I haven't checked my homeowners insurance yet but I doubt if it is covered.

Celticspirit Nov 18th 2012 6:03 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by UK IFA (Post 10388458)
It's Coming to that time of year when I wish I was back in Calgary, Canada.

Eggnog, hot buttered rum, skiing, ice fishing etc.

Those were the days :-)

My twin sister lives in Okotoks. We have spent some amazing Christmases there when my children were younger. We usually stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel where they had a very traditional Christmas holiday. My parents and brother would come from Belfast and my other brother from South Africa. Fabulous memories :-)
Welcome!

jasper123 Nov 18th 2012 6:45 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10388990)
Agreed!
Think of the bright side (isn't there a song with that title?) Anyway as you say we are blessed because it happened before we left. I hate to think what would have happened if we had been away.
I haven't checked my homeowners insurance yet but I doubt if it is covered.

cheers I was living in an apartment in Vegas for 14 years, after I was there for about 5 years ---- while I was at work my hot water boiler that was in my garage burst flooding all my stuff that I had stored in the garage, most of it was good stuff too, everything was ruined, when I came home and discovered what had happened ----- my boiler was replaced the very same day, of course no charge, thats the only real thing that I can say thats good about renting ------ whatever goes wrong its repaired or replaced for free :)
while I was there I had a new cooker & dishwasher and fridge replaced and then a new washer and dryer and new blinds on all windows, new garage door, and lots of repairs, ------ so thats the good thing about renting, and of course no property tax to pay (unless you live in England) :thumbdown: ---- trouble is you never own any property :( :thumbdown: :frown: :ohmy:

cheers Nov 18th 2012 6:56 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10389173)
thats the only real thing that I can say thats good about renting ------ whatever goes wrong its repaired or replaced for free :)
while I was there I had a new cooker & dishwasher and fridge replaced and then a new washer and dryer and new blinds on all windows, new garage door, and lots of repairs, ------ so thats the good thing about renting, and of course no property tax to pay (unless you live in England) :thumbdown: ---- trouble is you never own any property :( :thumbdown: :frown: :ohmy:

I read a lot of cases in England where they have a devil of a time getting landlords to fix anything. It cuts into their earnings.

I worked with a fellow in Las Vegas who had rented their house for years. The landlord never raised their rent, ever. My friend did any repairs without bothering the landlord. I think he said he never met the landlord.

cheers Nov 18th 2012 6:58 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Just read that Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) has lost his drivers license because he has too many points on his drivers license.

Derrygal Nov 18th 2012 8:05 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10389191)
I read a lot of cases in England where they have a devil of a time getting landlords to fix anything. It cuts into their earnings.

I worked with a fellow in Las Vegas who had rented their house for years. The landlord never raised their rent, ever. My friend did any repairs without bothering the landlord. I think he said he never met the landlord.

Same in Scotland - I was there the other week. My nephew lives in a flat in Edinburgh. He rents it. He has had no end of trouble with his landlord about getting the gas boiler repaired. He says he is tired of taking lukewarm showers.

bandrui Nov 18th 2012 9:29 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10388990)
Agreed!
Think of the bright side (isn't there a song with that title?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

vikingsail Nov 18th 2012 11:21 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10389198)
Just read that Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) has lost his drivers license because he has too many points on his drivers license.

Oh no what are we going to do now Churchill :rofl::rofl::rofl:

mikelincs Nov 19th 2012 4:05 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10389466)
Oh no what are we going to do now Churchill :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Simples, Churchill have dropped him from their adverts. Can't really have someone who has been caught speeding enough times to lose his license fronting an insurance company's adverts.

sallysimmons Nov 19th 2012 4:25 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10384749)
Do you still look at the daily Lakeland cam photos? You probably don't because you see the real thing.
Every English pic. I see these days, I see umbrellas and wet. I can't get enough of it!
When was the last time you went to admire your house?

No we don't bother looking at Lakeland Cam much because, like you say, w're here now. As for weather, it's finally raining a bit today but we really haven't had much at all this month. We were out in the countryside both Saturday and Sunday - although it was very cold on Saturday!

We went to the house at the weekend to drop off a gift for the owners - they just lost one of their dogs to cancer so we took toys for the other one. They told us they've put an offer in on a house, so it looks like I can stop worrying that they'll change their minds!


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:24 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.