British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Nov 12th 2012 5:59 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10378469)
To everyone in U.S.and Canada that have been disparately trying to sell there house for years and years, what amazes me about the property market here in U.K. is when the banking and mortgage collapse happened in 2008, while in America the property values seriously started to plummet, and havent stopped yet, where some parts of the country like Nevada have lost more then 2 thirds of there value, ---- and in the U.K house prices did indeed fall, but nothing really serious, and also houses seem to sell fast here too,
Im only going on what I can see in my city Portsmouth, and I cant see how it can be that much different over the rest of the country,
my next door neighbour put his 80 year old 3 bedroom terraced house up for sale 3 weeks ago for £185,000 and two days ago sold it for his full asking price, and just down the road another house a semi detached terraced house sold for £195,000 also full asking price, his was on the market for 2 months before sold,
My Mothers 3 bedroom terraced house built in the early 1930,s value topped at £200,000 in 2007, a couple of years ago it was worth £165k and now £185k, so the houses seem to be going up again over here, and all around my city I see houses put a sale sign outside and within a short time like weeks or months you pass by the same house and a sold sign is there, so you see what I mean, in my experience the U.K. property market has not suffered much at all, not like the U.S. market,

Things are changing in the Las Vegas area. First off, buyers looking for homes make offers and they are rejected because investors out bid them and because they pay cash a lot of buyers miss out. My son, in Las Vegas, is looking for a house and I think he is out of luck because prices are rising fast.

To clarify a little. What I read in the newspaper is confusing. I think the newspapers try to manipulate the news. In this case about the real estate market. You already knew that right?

cheers Nov 12th 2012 6:26 pm

I just read something on the Lakeland Cam site and I thought it was funny and I've never heard of it before. They showed a picture on them being on a bus and they said they had used their "NoWt" card:D. It that a common term over there in the UK?

dunroving Nov 12th 2012 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10378779)
I just read something on the Lakeland Cam site and I thought it was funny and I've never heard of it before. They showed a picture on them being on a bus and they said they had used their "NoWt" card:D. It that a common term over there in the UK?

No, but I'm guessing it is maybe North West Transport(?).

The acronym for the school I belong in at the university is "PiSH" - check a Scottish urban dictionary for that one. :rofl:

Derrygal Nov 12th 2012 6:37 pm

I just got back from the UK - spent 3 weeks traveling in England, N Ireland and Scotland. House prices are definitely more expensive than here. N Ireland and Scotland prices have dropped somewhat, but England (especially the South) the prices are very high. I honestly don't think I could afford to move back there. TBH, I thought that everything cost more over there - or almost everything. I was back in 2009 and prices have definitely increased a lot.

dunroving Nov 12th 2012 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10378796)
I just got back from the UK - spent 3 weeks traveling in England, N Ireland and Scotland. House prices are definitely more expensive than here. N Ireland and Scotland prices have dropped somewhat, but England (especially the South) the prices are very high. I honestly don't think I could afford to move back there. TBH, I thought that everything cost more over there - or almost everything. I was back in 2009 and prices have definitely increased a lot.

There seems to be even more of a North-South divide, property-wise, than there was.

But more to the point - did you enjoy yourself???

cheers Nov 12th 2012 6:58 pm

I agree on house prices over there but it maybe like comparing apples to oranges. I depends on the area. Overall I agree with you though.

Looking at home prices in the Scottish Borders area they look reasonable.

Here in southern Utah you can buy a really nicely finished new home in a nice neighborhood with a 3 car garage, 3 baths and 4 bedrooms for $200,000 (£126,000). So yes homes are pricey there but think how beautiful it is there in the UK.
Your observation of prices for 'things' maybe true but for everyday shopping, things can be cheaper. (I know because I was there 12 years ago:D)
Cheers

Mallory Nov 12th 2012 7:47 pm

Glad you had a good trip. We were in England in July, and thought prices were quite high, i.e. hotels, restaurant meals, drinks, parking, petrol, clothes, etc. Parking was a nightmare everywhere. Houses in the south are v expensive - don't know how people afford them. Countryside was still beautiful though!

feelbritish Nov 12th 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10378826)
I agree on house prices over there but it maybe like comparing apples to oranges. I depends on the area. Overall I agree with you though.

Looking at home prices in the Scottish Borders area they look reasonable.

Here in southern Utah you can buy a really nicely finished new home in a nice neighborhood with a 3 car garage, 3 baths and 4 bedrooms for $200,000 (£126,000). So yes homes are pricey there but think how beautiful it is there in the UK.
Your observation of prices for 'things' maybe true but for everyday shopping, things can be cheaper. (I know because I was there 12 years ago:D)
Cheers

In Canada a house like that would probably cost about $375 000! or more depending on area. Makes you realise how cheap houses are in the States.
Compared to Canada food was much cheaper in England than here but then South of our borders your food is also much cheaper than here too!

Derrygal Nov 12th 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10378807)
There seems to be even more of a North-South divide, property-wise, than there was.

But more to the point - did you enjoy yourself???

Yes - I had a great time - thank you!! It was hard to leave my family behind over there, but at the same time I was excited to see my children and grand-children here. I feel really torn at times. My grandson was very disappointed that I didn't see the Loch Ness monster!!

bandrui Nov 12th 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10379045)
In Canada a house like that would probably cost about $375 000! or more depending on area. Makes you realise how cheap houses are in the States.
Compared to Canada food was much cheaper in England than here but then South of our borders your food is also much cheaper than here too!

Ditto. A house like that on Salt Spring Island would be around $500,000 but would probably have a fair bit of land. At least when we move we will feel a greater benefit from the UK prices, though I still find UK house prices high for what you are getting for the money!

cheers Nov 12th 2012 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10379077)
Ditto. A house like that on Salt Spring Island would be around $500,000 but would probably have a fair bit of land. At least when we move we will feel a greater benefit from the UK prices, though I still find UK house prices high for what you are getting for the money!

Things are moving along very fast for you!
January you list and zoom you are in England.
Way to go!

bandrui Nov 12th 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10379114)
Things are moving along very fast for you!
January you list and zoom you are in England.
Way to go!

One can only hope! There are a lot of houses for sale here so we'll see, and I am quite concerned about the amount of work I have to do before I list in terms of clearing and downsizing. Remember, I'm a working girl :), and no partner to help.

My family have found me a piece of land (1/3 acre) with well, fruit trees, 2BR static caravan and extension with gas and electric, sheds, greenhouse for an unbelievable price near the borders of Shropshire, Worcs & Herefs.

cheers Nov 13th 2012 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10379271)
One can only hope! There are a lot of houses for sale here

Yes but there is only one like yours:)

bandrui Nov 13th 2012 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10380753)
Yes but there is only one like yours:)

Good philosophy! I hope the buyer who is looking for a house just like mine shows up when I list it. ;) If it's meant to be....

mikelincs Nov 14th 2012 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10381296)
Good philosophy! I hope the buyer who is looking for a house just like mine shows up when I list it. ;) If it's meant to be....

Hoping you have the same luck I did when seeling a house some years ago, the agent came out to take photos and get details, went away, 30 mins later there was a phone call from someone looking for a house just like mine and in the area, they came round that night, and had made an asking price offer by the following morning, agents came round to put up a 'For Sale' sign, then slapped a 'Sold' sticker on it immediately. Agents didn't even have to print a brochure.