Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Good Morning everyone, sorry no time for reading or catch up... same old story, but I wanted to say Hello and let my friends here know I am still with you all!
I went to USA for 5 weeks, it was wonderful to spend time with my children and my friends.. so very sad to say goodbye to the kids again though.. I love the UK but I think the pull of my children is just too great. Scared at the thought of health and dental issues in the future if I return to USA

jasper and barb, how about that trip to London for a day out?
Denise so many people are torn between two countries through the family they leave behind, and you are experiencing this first hand right now, and I feel for you so so much, it must be terrible for you, its nice to visit like you did but when the time comes for you to say goodbye its so hard isn't it
About the meet up ----- you, me, and Barb in London, lets do it !!!! and who else wants to come to London? the more the merrier
TAKE CARE
Rodney.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl, I'm glad you are safely back in Leicester.
Now to sort thinks out. Should you do this or should you do that.
Its seems you are in a better position than most of us because most of us don't have a choice.
Lets have more posts from you.

Anyone hear from Jackie? Last I heard she just stepped back into her old routine in Las Vegas like she had never left.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning everyone, sorry no time for reading or catch up... same old story, but I wanted to say Hello and let my friends here know I am still with you all!
I went to USA for 5 weeks, it was wonderful to spend time with my children and my friends.. so very sad to say goodbye to the kids again though.. I love the UK but I think the pull of my children is just too great. Scared at the thought of health and dental issues in the future if I return to live in the US.. but thinking long and hard right now. How can I possibly live in the UK with my family there.. i know i wont be able to afford flights over there as I get older and we looked at flights for my children to come here for Christmas, it is over $900 each. They have no desire to move here either

I hope everyone is well and happy and I will read up on some of this thread later ( has the other 50s 60s one gone now?)

I haven't looked lately but I recall a few years ago there were cheaper flights US to UK around Thanksgiving because most Americans were going back home, not coming towards UK.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Charleygirl, I'm glad you are safely back in Leicester.
Now to sort thinks out. Should you do this or should you do that.
Its seems you are in a better position than most of us because most of us don't have a choice.
Lets have more posts from you.

Anyone hear from Jackie? Last I heard she just stepped back into her old routine in Las Vegas like she had never left.
Cheers I have often thought of how Jackie is doing too, she only came home to England for 6 months I think, and she returned to her life in Las Vegas and got her old Job back too, I wish her well, and I so hope her medical condition did not return and that she is fine and well,
Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Lets talk about 'Sandy'

DW just mentioned the US government has money for Afghanistan, Iraqi, Pakistan and Egypt but what about the disaster from the storm 'Sandy'? We shall see.

The news doesn't show areas that survived. They never do. The news is there to sell advertising. Brian Williams the news commentator makes more money presenting the news than the president of the US.

Where am I going with this? I don't know.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes with Jenny Agutter from The Railway Children :-) loved it.....50's drama.
I loved that too. I used to watch it a lot but can't remember much about it so it would be fun to watch it all over again.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I went to USA for 5 weeks, it was wonderful to spend time with my children and my friends.. so very sad to say goodbye to the kids again though.. I love the UK but I think the pull of my children is just too great. Scared at the thought of health and dental issues in the future if I return to live in the US.. but thinking long and hard right now. How can I possibly live in the UK with my family there.. i know i wont be able to afford flights over there as I get older and we looked at flights for my children to come here for Christmas, it is over $900 each. They have no desire to move here either

I hope everyone is well and happy and I will read up on some of this thread later ( has the other 50s 60s one gone now?)

Great to hear from you again, charley.

As I've said before, I can relate so much to this being torn between UK and US because one is "home" and the other is where the grown children are. Tho my children are older than yours and a bit more established in their lives....doesn't make one miss them any the less, of course!

Warning to those with younger children: move back to the UK while they're still young, if you can, and then you avoid this problem....

Of course this thread's readers are mostly over 50s, so our children are older.

I hope that you are able to make the decision, whatever it is, and feel at peace with it. Also, as I tell myself, no decision need be set in stone....

Tina
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Where am I going with this? I don't know.
Let us know when you figure it out

I was glad to hear that the new owners of our old house are fine and even more pleased to hear that the stray cat we used to care for is in good shape. (The new owners have taken him under their wing and make sure he's well cared for, just as they promised they would).

Some friends of mine are without power but otherwise things seem to be fine in my old neighborhood.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

charleygirl, I hope this doesn't sound presumptuous but it really does sound as though you want to be home with your family rather than here. I don't know what the smart decision is, but I just want the best for you, whatever that is. So sorry that you have this dilemma
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Let us know when you figure it out

I was glad to hear that the new owners of our old house are fine and even more pleased to hear that the stray cat we used to care for is in good shape. (The new owners have taken him under their wing and make sure he's well cared for, just as they promised they would).

Some friends of mine are without power but otherwise things seem to be fine in my old neighborhood.
That is a good outcome with the new owners.

Just saw on the evening news a picture of the Manhattan skyline and most of the buildings are lit up but then you saw another section that was in darkness. A fellow with a British accent, interviewed, said 'WE' New Yorkers just get on with it.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Just got back from the Kings Theater here in Portsmouth and me , mum, and our friends saw the musical stage production of beauty and the beast, it was put on by the Portsmouth players and the show was absolutely wonderful all the way through, they have different productions like that from the same people 3 times a year, but all through the year they have productions from national groups at the Kings,
Now I am just getting the hang of living here, and liking it I really didn't live much of my adult life in England, 40 years was spent overseas, so I never went to a theater before, well I do remember going to the same theater when I was around 12 to see a pantomine, they still have a big Christmas pantomine every year, I was just so impressed with what I saw tonite that I just had to post you all and let you know how much I enjoyed it, we all did, I hope you dont mind, the Kings Theater was opened in 1907,
COULTURE thats what I missed all those years in Nevada maybe I should have lived in New York, but then I probably wouldn't have been able to see a show on broadway cause it would be too expensive, this show I saw tonight was fantastic and the price of our tickets were £12.50 each and we were quite close to the stage
Rodney.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Just got back from the Kings Theater here in Portsmouth and me , mum, and our friends saw the musical stage production of beauty and the beast, it was put on by the Portsmouth players and the show was absolutely wonderful all the way through, they have different productions like that from the same people 3 times a year, but all through the year they have productions from national groups at the Kings,
Now I am just getting the hang of living here, and liking it I really didn't live much of my adult life in England, 40 years was spent overseas, so I never went to a theater before, well I do remember going to the same theater when I was around 12 to see a pantomine, they still have a big Christmas pantomine every year, I was just so impressed with what I saw tonite that I just had to post you all and let you know how much I enjoyed it, we all did, I hope you dont mind, the Kings Theater was opened in 1907,
COULTURE thats what I missed all those years in Nevada maybe I should have lived in New York, but then I probably wouldn't have been able to see a show on broadway cause it would be too expensive, this show I saw tonight was fantastic and the price of our tickets were £12.50 each and we were quite close to the stage
Rodney.
Sounds wonderful/
I loved Pantos as a kid. We'd go and see the local one and also the Scouts show each year. Then my Nana would take me into Manchester each year to see a professional Panto. I can remember seeing Tommy Steel in one when I was about 9. Great memories
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sounds wonderful/
I loved Pantos as a kid. We'd go and see the local one and also the Scouts show each year. Then my Nana would take me into Manchester each year to see a professional Panto. I can remember seeing Tommy Steel in one when I was about 9. Great memories
My aunt who had no children use to take us to the theater seems like once a year and it seemed quit special each time.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

This must be over 40 years ago but remember seeing The Two Ronnies in panto. The sight of the superlative Ronnie Barker as a woman is still a sublime memory..
Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I loved that too. I used to watch it a lot but can't remember much about it so it would be fun to watch it all over again.
I agree.....as children(I have a twin) it was our favourite show ever....would love to see reruns if that would be possible.
On the subject of BBC TV, I was once on Top ofl the Pops while visiting my twin who was a student at the Royal Manchester School of Music......much to our parents horror. We met Jimmy Saville.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.