Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yes Brylcreem is still around, but haven't seen toothpaste in a tin - maybe in Thailand! Found the RAF shot I was looking for, so here it is. I was just 20 at that time. Click on it, to enlarge it!!! Love Don
Thanks. You haven't change a bit
I use to be in the Air Training Corp - ATC, in England when I was in my teens. During the Summer Camp I got to take a flight in a Tiger Moth I think. Anyway it was a bi-plane. Just me and the pilot. Then we were put in a bigger plane. This would have been about 1951.
It was nice that they gave you a shirt to wear instead of, like we had, an itchy tunnick.

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:29 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
here you go, mail order, no idea of the cost to send.
http://www.summernaturals.co.uk/inde...roducts_id=341
Thank you. I'll have a look.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I remember it was pink. Did it have a name like McCleen or something similar.
That doesn't ring a bell with me, but that doesn't mean it isn't right. I think the tin was cream coloured
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:17 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
That doesn't ring a bell with me, but that doesn't mean it isn't right. I think the tin was cream coloured
Was it Eucryl?

Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I remember it was pink. Did it have a name like McCleen or something similar.
Eucryl springs to mind, toothpowder and was in a tin and was pink.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Yes, I remember that stuff. I even remember using "tooth powder" rather than "toothpaste".
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lf1
For those that have already returned, has anyone come across the large containers of vinegar? I am just about to make homemade daily shower cleaner and I have to buy small bottles from the supermarket as I can't find the large containers?

Also, is Borax readily available? I haven't seen it either.
Morrisons stock vinegar in gallon Containers quite often. Don
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Much of what is in toothpaste today has nothing to do with cleaning teeth. I was recently watching a show about advertising. They said that the artificial foamers in toothpaste were added because people expect them to foam. Sugar is added for taste; mint flavour to give the illusion of freshness. In fact nothing special is needed at all to clean teeth. I use one that has none of these artificial ingredients.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
The name isn't familiar, but the colour of the tin is. Maybe I was just too young for such a big word.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:15 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Morrisons stock vinegar in gallon Containers quite often. Don
Thanks, I'll check that out as there is a Morrisons not too far away.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Much of what is in toothpaste today has nothing to do with cleaning teeth. I was recently watching a show about advertising. They said that the artificial foamers in toothpaste were added because people expect them to foam. Sugar is added for taste; mint flavour to give the illusion of freshness. In fact nothing special is needed at all to clean teeth. I use one that has none of these artificial ingredients.
My father was in West Africa during the war and he said the natives would clean their teeth by putting salt on their finger and then put their finger in their mouth and clean their teeth. Way to go!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

My father was in West Africa during the war and he said the natives would clean their teeth by putting salt on their finger and then put their finger in their mouth and clean their teeth. Way to go!
Good for them!

This is the kind that we used to use as children:

http://www.historyworld.co.uk/advert...%2C+Toothpaste
Old Oct 27th 2012, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Good for them!

This is the kind that we used to use as children:

http://www.historyworld.co.uk/advert...%2C+Toothpaste
That looked familiar!
I went on to look at toys, transport and food and it brought back memories. I also thought of those people who owned those cars are now dead. That's morbid ha?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
May I send you some items to be altered? I bought a couple of athletic tops, on sale, which will come in handy for hill walking. Anyway, I took them into a local seamstress, to have the sleeves shortened, on 6 Sept. After 4 weeks, I called to find out if they were ready. No, but she was just about to attend to them. Still no word. Fortunately, I don't need them right away, but even for an area where things are done at slower pace, I think I have been more than patient.
I bought a couple of pair of new trousers the other day from M&S and as my legs are a little on the short side I always buy the shortest leg 29inch but always have to get them taken up to 27inch, so I always take them into this local laundromat 3 minute walk from the house, they send them out to a local seamstress and three days later I pick them up, great quality work too, they charge £6 per pair of trousers,
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

That looked familiar!
I went on to look at toys, transport and food and it brought back memories. I also thought of those people who owned those cars are now dead. That's morbid ha?
cheers I looked into that site, talk about a blast from the past yes the cars were great and then I clicked on the holidays and the prices brought back memories for me, one company called Global travel was advertising different coach tours from 1955, they had one there that I would had loved to go on back in the day, it was a 10 day coach tour taking in 7 countries in Europe, the total price was £46 WOW!!! including nice hotel full board, all inclusive but when you think of way back then the small pay packets we had,my Dad was making £7 per week as a

carpenter joiner, I was making £2.10s per week in 1960 no one could save anything out of that to go on holidays to Europe

Last edited by jasper123; Oct 27th 2012 at 11:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.