British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dontheturner Oct 1st 2012 8:37 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10299683)
Hello cheers,
Yes that mary tyler more show was great with dick van dyke too, and that all in the family is one that I forgot, such a funny show, and another one I liked not a comedy but a private eye he was and it was called MAN IN A SUITCASE, remember that one, and 77 sunset strip, loved it, and cooky always combing his hair ---- just like the fonze in happy days, and remember fantasy Island, OMG my brain is working overtime here :D curleytops said that I must have been glued to the TV ----- well I was always working full time but I always just loved the entertainment on TV way back then, I think that the people who are old enough to have lived through those days of first class entertainment in the 50's 60's 70's and even 80's are very very fortunate, I am so glad that I was able to see it all.

I suppose, being that little bit more mature, I can also recall the radio only times of I.T.M.A. of 1942/3- lots of ''double meanings'' - The cleaner saying ''can I do you now sir?'' (Tommy Handley with Colonel Chinstrap) ???? Don

rebs Oct 1st 2012 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10307620)
It doesn't start till 8pm here, I can understand what you mean about gory, it will probably bring back good and bad memories for some people. My Mum would have been a baby/toddler back when this was based early 40'S. I remember the stories my Gran would tell, she delivered her youngest herself, on the parlor couch, while my Mum was out looking for the midwifes house in the mid 50's.

I'm not sure 'gory' would be the word I would use, but I definitely found the books considerably more graphic than the tv show.

Here in the UK, the show aired at teatime/early evening on a Sunday, so was firmly in the family viewing camp :)

sallysimmons Oct 1st 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10307508)
Ebay has lost of St Joseph's. some they will even get blessed before sending. I will say St Joseph helped me sell my last house in five days FOR FULL ASKING PRICE.

Then again, I sold mine on the first day without any statues.

I think if you want to sell something quickly, price it properly and it will sell.

We're going to look at a house this week that has been on the market for 4 years (yes 4!!). Over those years it has slowly come down in price and last week they slashed another £80K off the price to finally make it affordable. We're now going to see it whereas at it's original price we never would have (and neither did anyone else either!)

Magpie1 Oct 3rd 2012 5:12 pm

Its taken us just over a month to get an offer for our house which we have excepted now hoping the inspection goes well. We are not expecting any problems though.

One step closer to returning.

cheers Oct 3rd 2012 5:19 pm

I think we are all upset as we watch the funeral today of the PC's.

One thing. I wish the policemen would be referred to again as Police Constables instead of Police Officers which I think is an Americanism that has creeped into the England side.

I also wish that the word Chemists is used instead of Pharmacy which is another word that has creeped in.

My too bits worth.

My respect for the slain policewomen.

Cheers

Mummy in the foothills Oct 3rd 2012 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10311658)

One thing. I wish the policemen would be referred to again as Police Constables instead of Police Officers which I think is an Americanism that has creeped into the England side.

I also wish that the word Chemists is used instead of Pharmacy which is another word that has creeped in.

My too bits worth.

Cheers

Maybe they are officers, I know my step father had to take an exam to become a Police Office rather than a constable, it comes with a pay rise.

dontheturner Oct 4th 2012 8:39 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10311658)
My too bits worth.
Cheers

Hi! -Showing my age - but when I was a boy in Walsall Staffordshire, they were called ''Druggists'' (1930's) Don

dunroving Oct 4th 2012 11:44 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10312676)
Hi! -Showing my age - but when I was a boy in Walsall Staffordshire, they were called ''Druggists'' (1930's) Don

They still call them drugstores in the US. Roll up, roll up, getcha drugs here!

cheers Oct 4th 2012 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10311959)
Maybe they are officers, I know my step father had to take an exam to become a Police Office rather than a constable, it comes with a pay rise.

Just thinking (very dangerous I know:)) maybe your FIL was becoming an officer within the ranks.

cheers Oct 4th 2012 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10308012)
We're going to look at a house this week that has been on the market for 4 years (yes 4!!). Over those years it has slowly come down in price and last week they slashed another £80K off the price to finally make it affordable. We're now going to see it whereas at it's original price we never would have (and neither did anyone else either!)

So, what did you think of it?

We watch Property International and it appears to be scripted. Those that are looking to rent or buy in most cases remark when viewing a place they are so impressed when they pass the threshold, "Wow-Wow" then after they get ready to leave they start criticizing the place. "Well it's not like my place in Brooklyn?"... What do they expect???

Yesterday there was a couple who live in Paris and she, the American, was tired of being cramped up in an apartment for 4 years, with two small children, so they wanted to buy a place. Their budget was either 1 million or 3 million dollars. They looked to be in their late 30's. He was French. Well darrrr. Where do they get that kind of money? Maybe his mother was a movie star? Or she was a rich American?;) I know they probably saved up???

Mummy in the foothills Oct 4th 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10313205)
Just thinking (very dangerous I know:)) maybe your FIL was becoming an officer within the ranks.

Not sure what that is, Military? He was never in the military, joined the Local Police at 16 as a Cadet, he worked as a Constable on the beat then did exams ( was already an adult by then) and moved into Communications.

sallysimmons Oct 4th 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10313248)
So, what did you think of it?

A lot to think about. Every single room would need changing to suit our tastes so it was hard to see past the swirly carpets and textured wallpaper and grungy skirting boards. OTOH, we will likely never find a house in such a beautiful location with such amazing views from every single window. It's also perfectly situated for our friends and family.

At the right price it could work for us. Who knows... we'll see.

Pollyana Oct 4th 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10313281)
Not sure what that is, Military? He was never in the military, joined the Local Police at 16 as a Cadet, he worked as a Constable on the beat then did exams ( was already an adult by then) and moved into Communications.

I think some Forces did have a rank of Officer. Some even used "Civilian Police Officer" at times to describe those of us who worked for the police but were not sworn in.

Cheers - in the UK generally "police officer" is used as a more general term to describe members of a Force who might be Constables, but equally they might be something higher. By using the more generic term of police officer, not only do they cover both male and female but they also avoid causing offence or annoyance by naming the wrong rank. Same with firefighters -the term was largely introduced to cover " firemen" and "firewomen" but can also be used to avoid having to define the rank of the individual.

cheers Oct 4th 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10313289)
A lot to think about. Every single room would need changing to suit our tastes so it was hard to see past the swirly carpets and textured wallpaper and grungy skirting boards. OTOH, we will likely never find a house in such a beautiful location with such amazing views from every single window. It's also perfectly situated for our friends and family.

What happened to the other place you had an eye on?

Are you still into high ceilings and large windows?

mikelincs Oct 4th 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10313289)

Yes but those things are cosmetic really, so are easily sorted..