Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Englishmum! I would be interested in how your daughter likes the IOW and also good luck from me, it looks like you are going to a really special place in Zug. what a lovely opportunity and your airfare from Luton is almost the same price as car and passengers to IOW !!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well, the odd thing is - our son is staying on in our house in New Jersey for the time being, so I shall have to come back from time to time to check up on things... If we sell the house he will be homeless (he is still going for job interviews but it's really, really tough for young people at the moment). We were unable to refinance our mortgage to a lower rate as my spouse has no status in the US (he gave up his green card) so there is no way we could change our mortgage if we tried to sell our house and buy a little flat; it costs thousands to sell because of the 6% realtors commission charge so I think we will wait another year or two and see if we will be moving back to the UK or not after this current expat posting.

I was in NYC on Friday, having lunch with my best friend (Aussie expat). We then went to Chinatown for a massage...omg I have bruises all over my arms and hips, I look like I've been beaten up! I'm sure there will be comments when I go to the pool in the morning and to see my doctor for blood tests and more thyroid tablets lol!

I've been busy on Skype most of the day, with my spouse, sister, mother and my friend in Grenoble, France who is trying to see if we can get together for New Year's Eve. I managed to book a round trip flight to Zurich on Easyjet from Luton - my siblings are twins and having around 300 people to their 50th birthday party on 10th November, so I decided that I'll have to go - there will be relatives there whom I haven't seen for years (including a couple of bridesmaids at my wedding). The flight price was reasonable; 102 pounds round trip inc. all fees and 1 case up to 20kg.

I'm just horrified at the car rental charges though....I've put it off until Monday morning as want to check with my spouse that he's ok about the price first ... 383 pounds with National/Europcar for 18 days in an estate car (approx Ford Mondeo wagon...which I don't think they have these days?). The base price is fair but then they added on the premium location (airport) tax, daily UK car tax, one way drop - 30 pounds and then 20% VAT. They don't charge extra though for an additional driver.

However, when I looked at brokers like AutoEurope, Holiday Autos etc. the base charges seemed lower....but then when you look at the small print eg. local charges and payable locally eg. one way drop 50 pounds, UK car tax, extra driver etc. etc. I don't know if it works out much cheaper - and you can't cancel easily with brokers either. What to do?

Still haven't booked a car ferry either. Oh well, I'm going to turn on my Expat Shield and watch Downton Abbey lol!
The Mondeo estate is still around, its wonderful car, maybe you could find a smaller car to rent, off airport is cheaper as others have stated but still you have to travel to the other location, youve just got to add it up and see which is cheapest...
Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh yes IOW would be lovely, I Bet that will change his mind.
I must remember to get s few St Josephs from the Cristian book store when I go to town. Must make sure it's the right guy first. LOL.
Ebay has lost of St Joseph's. some they will even get blessed before sending. I will say St Joseph helped me sell my last house in five days FOR FULL ASKING PRICE.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Ebay has lost of St Joseph's. some they will even get blessed before sending. I will say St Joseph helped me sell my last house in five days FOR FULL ASKING PRICE.
Oh and has anyone heard of "Call the Midwife?" Just started here on PBS.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry "lots" of St.....
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:12 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought to look there, that'll save me a trek round town. Found one and put in my bid so it works for us too.
I'm going to watch tonight on PBS, I saw the first episode online when it was on UK TV but they soon put a stop to it.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Oct 1st 2012 at 12:26 am.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

It starts here in hour. I read the book, it was interesting.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
It starts here in hour. I read the book, it was interesting.
I really enjoyed the series.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I never thought to look there, that'll save me a trek round town. Found one and put in my bid so it works for us too.

I'm going to watch tonight on PBS, I saw the first episode online when it was on UK TV but they soon put a stop to it.
It was a little "gory".....not my cup of tea
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Fast selling MITFH!
Will order mine soon..... Won't bid against you......we are still in fear of another earthquake......I don't remember bring so frightened before even though I have previously encountered three in Acapulco over the years. The overhead noise and creaking of the house frame were overwhelming.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It was a little "gory".....not my cup of tea :
Gory??

Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Gory??

Please don't attack me......if you had had my experiences of having a kid in the UK you would understand.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:50 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't attack me......if you had had my experiences of having a kid in the UK you would understand.
It doesn't start till 8pm here, I can understand what you mean about gory, it will probably bring back good and bad memories for some people. My Mum would have been a baby/toddler back when this was based early 40'S. I remember the stories my Gran would tell, she delivered her youngest herself, on the parlor couch, while my Mum was out looking for the midwifes house in the mid 50's.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

It doesn't start till 8pm here, I can understand what you mean about gory, it will probably bring back good and bad memories for some people. My Mum would have been a baby/toddler back when this was based early 40'S. I remember the stories my Gran would tell, she delivered her youngest herself, on the parlor couch, while my Mum was out looking for the midwifes house in the mid 50's.
I had my son in 1969. I believe the series showed 1957 when the show started tonight. Had we not moved to the USA......I could never have gone through it again even though my husband was a Physician.
Ordered my St Joseph :-))
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

I had my son in 1969. I believe the series showed 1957 when the show started tonight. Had we not moved to the USA......I could never have gone through it again even though my husband was a Physician.
Ordered my St Joseph :-))
57 I though it was 47 Oh well in that case my Aunts were just little bitty kids then. Older sis was in 59 and me in 62 so not that long before I was born in the local Maternity hospital.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.