British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Sep 29th 2012 11:11 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10306290)
I must admit when I showed him prices and rentals on IOW he could not believe how cheap they were! Downside the ferries, but we are used to that here on Vancouver Island although on a much larger scale.

Another similarity to BC is that residents on the IofW get a concessionary fare on the ferries.

Mummy in the foothills Sep 30th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10306290)
luckily our boat was the first to go! never used it for more than two years, it was an aluminum one and one day he brought it back from the beach on its wheels, and said he was selling it, then he started on the accessories like down riggers and reels etc then he got the bug when he started seeing the cash coming in, so Craig'slist became his new friend. Mind you it was a small boat not like your ones probably, we had a larger one with two motors and all the bells and whistles and that went a few years ago, thank goodness! Yes, hide a St Joseph in it, I have heard of people burying those statues in their gardens, maybe I should try that when we list. We want to try and sell privately at first seeing we have the time. I am secretly wanting to sell quickly and then to rent on IOW until we decide what to do, but my OH has made it clear that he will not go back (he has to resign his job) until 2015! I must admit when I showed him prices and rentals on IOW he could not believe how cheap they were! Downside the ferries, but we are used to that here on Vancouver Island although on a much larger scale.

Oh yes IOW would be lovely, I Bet that will change his mind.
I must remember to get s few St Josephs from the Cristian book store when I go to town. Must make sure it's the right guy first. LOL.

Englishmum Sep 30th 2012 2:11 am

My daughter has just moved to the Isle of Wight.

I'm leaving the US next Friday to move back to Europe. I've booked holiday cottages in the Isle of Wight for a fortnight (will be there with my adult kids, spouse will be there for a few days + will work in London too but stay in an hotel there, and my mum will come down from the Midlands for about a week).

Just reminded me...still need to book car rental and car ferry :ohmy:

I still haven't decided what date to fly to Switzerland (where spouse is on an expat posting) as my brother and sister (twins) will be celebrating their 50th birthday with a big party in mid-November and not sure if too hang on in England or not. I wouldn't mind going by train (Eurostar to Paris then changing to Thalys) but it's more expensive than flying :(

lf1 Sep 30th 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10306414)

I'm leaving the US next Friday to move back to Europe. I've booked holiday cottages in the Isle of Wight for a fortnight (will be there with my adult kids, spouse will be there for a few days + will work in London too but stay in an hotel there, and my mum will come down from the Midlands for about a week).

I still haven't decided what date to fly to Switzerland (where spouse is on an expat posting) as my brother and sister (twins) will be celebrating their 50th birthday with a big party in mid-November and not sure if too hang on in England or not. I wouldn't mind going by train (Eurostar to Paris then changing to Thalys) but it's more expensive than flying :(

Good luck with your move. Will you be sad to leave New York? It seems like ages ago since we met up in New York.:)

Celticspirit Sep 30th 2012 7:50 am

Time flys.......hope your move is fairly uneventful and wish you the best.
We had a 3.4 magnitude earthquake in our neighborhood. The house creaked and then a huge boom above the house. It was pretty terrifying. It was just after 11pm. All the neighbors came out into our cul de sac. We couldnt see any damage. We are two miles from the epicenter. We have plenty of open places to flee as we have an 18 hole golf course in our community. Just in case I have my dog crates in my SUV and clothes ready to wear as there may be aftershocks.

jasper123 Sep 30th 2012 9:40 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10306265)
Nice post Rodney, I think if I was alone I would also just sell up and go! My OH is finally on board but I have to be patient until he is 65. 2 and half years time! :eek: In the meantime we are selling off stuff now, bbq went today (we had two one upstairs on deck and one downstairs in garden how American is that?), yesterday was some of his fishing stuff in Oct our ski gear will go and we are slowly getting rid of junk we have collected, mainly him mind you:)

We will only seriously think about selling house next year and then maybe it will become a reality. I have been told not to speak about moving back every day, so I sit on here.

The sad thing is that we both feel in limbo and just cannot commit to buying anything or making plans, or even new friends so we just work hard and I plan and we stay in touch with family via skype and Facebook.

Cheers I am glad your wife is coming around to the idea, keep giving her your ipod..

Hi feelbritish, I quite understand the feeling of being in limbo, I think a lot of folk on here are just that, but when the limbo feeling goes and you both know what you want to do for sure, you feel relieved and free, and then all the hard work starts in serious preparation for coming home, its nice to know that you and Hubby are already starting sorting out stuff and getting rid of stuff :)

dunroving Sep 30th 2012 11:05 am

Wow, I didn't realise you were leaving the US "for good" soon - good luck!

It feels like you have been there since I joined BE 10 years ago - is that correct?

dontheturner Sep 30th 2012 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10299234)
My parents did similar but we had a small car (Morris Minor) instead of holidays etc and we used to have picnics in the countryside on Sundays. Sometimes we would go to Cleethorpes for the day.

I didn't have hand me downs...but my mother was a dressmaker...she used to make a lot of wedding and bridesmaids dresses. She used the off cuts to make our clothes...so my sister and I went to school looking like bridesmaids. :lol: My aunt used to knit for people...she made us cardigans out of the bits of left over wool. We always wore multi coloured stripey cardies. Mum would often buy shoes that had been in the window display of the shop. They were heavily discounted...sis and I can remember wearing the shoes...one was lighter than the other. :lol:

Still have a brand new pair of Brogues by Grenson - had to dye them slightly darker brown - but oh so cheap! ---£80 shoes, cost me £20. _ Still fit me, so shall now wear them for shopping in the ''Winter''. Don

Englishmum Sep 30th 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10306627)
Good luck with your move. Will you be sad to leave New York? It seems like ages ago since we met up in New York.:)

Well, the odd thing is - our son is staying on in our house in New Jersey for the time being, so I shall have to come back from time to time to check up on things...:ohmy: If we sell the house he will be homeless (he is still going for job interviews but it's really, really tough for young people at the moment). We were unable to refinance our mortgage to a lower rate as my spouse has no status in the US :( (he gave up his green card) so there is no way we could change our mortgage if we tried to sell our house and buy a little flat; it costs thousands to sell because of the 6% realtors commission charge so I think we will wait another year or two and see if we will be moving back to the UK or not after this current expat posting.

I was in NYC on Friday, having lunch with my best friend (Aussie expat). We then went to Chinatown for a massage...omg I have bruises all over my arms and hips, I look like I've been beaten up! I'm sure there will be comments when I go to the pool in the morning and to see my doctor for blood tests and more thyroid tablets lol! :ohmy:

I've been busy on Skype most of the day, with my spouse, sister, mother and my friend in Grenoble, France who is trying to see if we can get together for New Year's Eve. I managed to book a round trip flight to Zurich on Easyjet from Luton - my siblings are twins and having around 300 people to their 50th birthday party on 10th November, so I decided that I'll have to go - there will be relatives there whom I haven't seen for years (including a couple of bridesmaids at my wedding). The flight price was reasonable; 102 pounds round trip inc. all fees and 1 case up to 20kg.

I'm just horrified at the car rental charges though....I've put it off until Monday morning as want to check with my spouse that he's ok about the price first ... 383 pounds with National/Europcar for 18 days in an estate car (approx Ford Mondeo wagon...which I don't think they have these days?). The base price is fair but then they added on the premium location (airport) tax, daily UK car tax, one way drop - 30 pounds and then 20% VAT. They don't charge extra though for an additional driver.

However, when I looked at brokers like AutoEurope, Holiday Autos etc. the base charges seemed lower....but then when you look at the small print eg. local charges and payable locally eg. one way drop 50 pounds, UK car tax, extra driver etc. etc. I don't know if it works out much cheaper - and you can't cancel easily with brokers either. What to do?

Still haven't booked a car ferry either. Oh well, I'm going to turn on my Expat Shield and watch Downton Abbey lol! :thumbup:

Englishmum Sep 30th 2012 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10306848)

It feels like you have been there since I joined BE 10 years ago - is that correct?

Ha ha, yes I have been on BE since just before moving to the US 12 years ago! :D

I'll be off to a rental apartment at a lakeside village about 2km from the town of Zug in Switzerland, it's mid-way between Zurich and Lucerne and the sunsets are fabulous.

http://www.zug-tourismus.ch/en/welcome.cfm

BE visitors welcome (but must bring some nice English treats lol!) :lol:

jasper123 Sep 30th 2012 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10306848)

dunroving did you realize that in that ten years you have been on B.E. you have now 7,777 posts to your credit, all the 7,s do you feel lucky ----- maybe its time to buy a lotto ticket and one for the euro millions too ;)

cheers Sep 30th 2012 10:00 pm

[QUOTE=Englishmum;10307331]

I'm just horrified at the car rental charges though....I've put it off until Monday morning as want to check with my spouse that he's ok about the price first ... 383 pounds with National/Europcar for 18 days in an estate car (approx Ford Mondeo wagon...which I don't think they have these days?). The base price is fair but then they added on the premium location (airport) tax, daily UK car tax, one way drop - 30 pounds and then 20% VAT. They don't charge extra though for an additional driver.

However, when I looked at brokers like AutoEurope, Holiday Autos etc. the base charges seemed lower....but then when you look at the small print eg. local charges and payable locally eg. one way drop 50 pounds, UK car tax, extra driver etc. etc. I don't know if it works out much cheaper - and you can't cancel easily with brokers either. What to do?

/QUOTE]

I started looking at UK car rentals ( Car Hire) on Friday and one thing I found out is to, if possible, pick up your rental car in town as against the airport. The airport fees add up.

cheers Sep 30th 2012 10:02 pm

DW, the ipad addict, is now looking at the cost of self ? cottages.:)

jasper123 Sep 30th 2012 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10307341)
Ha ha, yes I have been on BE since just before moving to the US 12 years ago! :D

I'll be off to a rental apartment at a lakeside village about 2km from the town of Zug in Switzerland, it's mid-way between Zurich and Lucerne and the sunsets are fabulous.

http://www.zug-tourismus.ch/en/welcome.cfm

BE visitors welcome (but must bring some nice English treats lol!) :lol:

Englishmum thanks for the slide show, WOW what a beautiful part of Switzerland, so you will be there for around 2 years did you say? LOVELY!!!!and lucky you :)
Bon Voyage and have a nice comfortable and safe flight, and dont forget to post when you get there cause I know we all would love to know how you are getting on, please keep posting.
Take Care,
Rodney.

jasper123 Sep 30th 2012 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10307389)
DW, the ipad addict, is now looking at the cost of self ? cottages.:)

Great cheers, ---- that IPAD investment was one of the best you have ever made ----- me thinks ;)