Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Bevm
I worked Christmas 1971 in a Debenham's menswear department that was eerily similar, except that the Mrs whatever character was truly smart and very nice. She tried to teach me how to wear scarves but I couldn't get it. I've never been able to wear scarves in a stylish way.

Bev
Scary you should say that...right before coming back to England I worked in a hotel. Nicknamed the owner Basil Fawlty
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Moving back can go slowly. I remember Rod starting his journey way back when.
Well I would like to think I ve started.
July got my iPad.
Sept got DW going on the iPad
Sept DW sent off for her passport
Sept found a house in England.
Moving along.

Cheers
Cheers that has got to be one of the most devious approaches I've heard yet. Get yourself a new toy and use it to bring the OH round to your way of thinking. Love it!
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

July got my iPad.
Moving along.

Cheers
Well done, keep it rolling along, you'll get there.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Should I contact PC "Dixon of Dock Green"?
Peter Byrne, who played Andy Crawford in 300 episodes, was in Casualty last Saturday.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

During the 1950's I loved watching 'Renfrew of the Mounties' but I have never heard anyone else mention it. Set in Canada, they rode horses, wore smart uniforms with wide brimmed hats & stationed in a fort of some kind.
It used to be on every Monday evening about 5.0pm. I was often disapointed because the power supply would go off, so no TV & I missed another episode!

I have since read that the power supply was often turned off to save coal after the war. But why they did they have to do it when Renfrew was on, saving damsels in distress ect.

In the late 1950's I worked in Grant bros, Croydon & it was exactly like "Are you being Served".!!
Pauline
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan
During the 1950's I loved watching 'Renfrew of the Mounties' but I have never heard anyone else mention it. Set in Canada, they rode horses, wore smart uniforms with wide brimmed hats & stationed in a fort of some kind.
It used to be on every Monday evening about 5.0pm. I was often disapointed because the power supply would go off, so no TV & I missed another episode!

I have since read that the power supply was often turned off to save coal after the war. But why they did they have to do it when Renfrew was on, saving damsels in distress ect.

In the late 1950's I worked in Grant bros, Croydon & it was exactly like "Are you being Served".!!
Pauline
More info, apparently filmed somewhat earlier, but not shown on TV till 1950's.

http://www.movieretriever.com/videoh...f-the-Mounties
Old Sep 28th 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I saw the new Dallas months ago when it was shown in the US. I really enjoyed it. I'm glad they brought the old stars back into it...especially JR with that devilish look in his eyes. I don't know if I'd have been able to get into the series without the old stars...IMO they make the transition easier.

Looking forward to the second longer series when it is shown here in January.
Hi jerseygirl,
I know in the States the whole of the new Dallas has been aired allready, and I think we are on episode 4 now and 5 next wednesday, but do you know how many episodes were made for this first season? in other words how many more do we over here have left to enjoy
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

July got my iPad.
Moving along.

Cheers
Sounds good cheers, I hope your Journey to start your new life in England isn't too long, because in my opinion every day you delay you are missing out on so so much,
My journey started only 18 months before I came home, first it was just thinking about it, then it was weighing up all the pros and cons, then it was more thinking about it, and then it was wow this is really a big move and do I really want this big upheaval in my life at my age, in other words how much do I really want this?
Then I started to think, really think of how much I have enjoyed my life in the States all those years, from a young man of 29 to a man of 65, Ive not known any other way of life all that time, and all the memories,
Then I would think more about it, and reach deep within myself and eventually I came to the conclusion that this is what I needed to do,
being with my 93 year old Mum and getting to know her all over again was something that I thought about a lot,
so there was a whole lot of thinking going on
I thought about that we are both not getting any younger, and how much time does anyone of us have left in this life, so then my heart took over and one night,about 10 months before I came home, suddenly it became all so clear, and I knew then at that moment that YES this is what I really want to do, say a final goodbye to my American life and start a brand new one at home in my birth country, all of a sudden I realised this is what I really and honestly want to do without a single doubt in my mind,
The very next day I phoned Virgin Atlantic and booked and paid for my ticket home,
So then I slowly got my house in order, started all the sorting of all that stuff that we all collect over many years, sorting/selling/giving stuff to charity, just getting rid of everything and starting a new is so hard, and very time consuming, but in my case I did have 10 months to do it all,
Everyones circumstances are different, that a very important fact that we all must remember, I had no family that I would be leaving in the U.S. all mine was in England, so for me it was much easier to make the move, and in particular I had no house to sell, Ive always rented.
So here I am, been home now in the Town I was born in Pompey, for almost two years already,
Time does fly by so fast, and sometimes I still have to pinch myself to make sure all this is real, sometimes even now I can hardly beleive that Im living in England, but most of all I cant beleive how lucky I am (: and truly thankful for every day that passes ----- rain or shine in my life its always sunny(:

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 28th 2012 at 11:55 am.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi jerseygirl,
I know in the States the whole of the new Dallas has been aired allready, and I think we are on episode 4 now and 5 next wednesday, but do you know how many episodes were made for this first season? in other words how many more do we over here have left to enjoy
10 episodes in the first series...but I believe the next series will be longer.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sounds good cheers, I hope your Journey to start your new life in England isn't too long, because in my opinion every day you delay you are missing out on so so much,
One advantage of being married is I don't have to make all the decisions.
As you have said recently the move doesn't have to be so final. You can be at Heathrow in about 2 hours and then in 10 hours you can be in Las Vegas. You can then look around and remind yourself why you moved then you can go home again. (after going to a buffet that is)
My point is you can have your feet in both places if you would like to.

In a few days they will announce the increase in your Social Security pension for next year and it should be about 1.4%. Forget all the noise about the system being broke. People like to moan. I have heard it said that the fund was so well funded that starting with President L B Johnson they raided it to use for the government. Enough said.

Has your pension gone down because of the value of the dollar has been down the last few weeks or haven't you got your pension during that time?

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
10 episodes in the first series...but I believe the next series will be longer.
Thanks jerseygirl, so that means we are almost half way through on this side of the pond
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

One advantage of being married is I don't have to make all the decisions.
As you have said recently the move doesn't have to be so final. You can be at Heathrow in about 2 hours and then in 10 hours you can be in Las Vegas. You can then look around and remind yourself why you moved then you can go home again. (after going to a buffet that is)
My point is you can have your feet in both places if you would like to.

In a few days they will announce the increase in your Social Security pension for next year and it should be about 1.4%. Forget all the noise about the system being broke. People like to moan. I have heard it said that the fund was so well funded that starting with President L B Johnson they raided it to use for the government. Enough said.

Has your pension gone down because of the value of the dollar has been down the last few weeks or haven't you got your pension during that time?

Cheers
Well I dont ever think of the exchange rate, it all balances out, as long as I have enough to live on without skimping Im happy, and I do!!!!
about the cost of living rise on S.S. this year I was hoping for around 3%

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 29th 2012 at 10:25 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post Rodney, I think if I was alone I would also just sell up and go! My OH is finally on board but I have to be patient until he is 65. 2 and half years time! In the meantime we are selling off stuff now, bbq went today (we had two one upstairs on deck and one downstairs in garden how American is that?), yesterday was some of his fishing stuff in Oct our ski gear will go and we are slowly getting rid of junk we have collected, mainly him mind you

We will only seriously think about selling house next year and then maybe it will become a reality. I have been told not to speak about moving back every day, so I sit on here.

The sad thing is that we both feel in limbo and just cannot commit to buying anything or making plans, or even new friends so we just work hard and I plan and we stay in touch with family via skype and Facebook.

Cheers I am glad your wife is coming around to the idea, keep giving her your ipod..
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Nice post Rodney, I think if I was alone I would also just sell up and go! My OH is finally on board but I have to be patient until he is 65. 2 and half years time! In the meantime we are selling off stuff now, bbq went today (we had two one upstairs on deck and one downstairs in garden how American is that?), yesterday was some of his fishing stuff in Oct our ski gear will go and we are slowly getting rid of junk we have collected, mainly him mind you

We will only seriously think about selling house next year and then maybe it will become a reality. I have been told not to speak about moving back every day, so I sit on here.

The sad thing is that we both feel in limbo and just cannot commit to buying anything or making plans, or even new friends so we just work hard and I plan and we stay in touch with family via skype and Facebook.

Cheers I am glad your wife is coming around to the idea, keep giving her your ipod..
That limbo feeling is so depressing! We are in limbo too, for all I know we could be home by Christmas but I somehow doubt it, so I've been making plans, if I have to cancel I'll be happy. Two flamin boats to sell first so we can list the house for sale, then we can start twiddling our thumbs till we find a buyer. I'm ready to donate the boats, we already dropped prices a lot, so everyone and send boat selling vibes our way please.
Maybe I should put a Saint Joseph statuette in the engine bay.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

luckily our boat was the first to go! never used it for more than two years, it was an aluminum one and one day he brought it back from the beach on its wheels, and said he was selling it, then he started on the accessories like down riggers and reels etc then he got the bug when he started seeing the cash coming in, so Craig'slist became his new friend. Mind you it was a small boat not like your ones probably, we had a larger one with two motors and all the bells and whistles and that went a few years ago, thank goodness! Yes, hide a St Joseph in it, I have heard of people burying those statues in their gardens, maybe I should try that when we list. We want to try and sell privately at first seeing we have the time. I am secretly wanting to sell quickly and then to rent on IOW until we decide what to do, but my OH has made it clear that he will not go back (he has to resign his job) until 2015! I must admit when I showed him prices and rentals on IOW he could not believe how cheap they were! Downside the ferries, but we are used to that here on Vancouver Island although on a much larger scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.