British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

mikelincs Sep 26th 2012 6:02 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10301297)
Does anyone remember any of the really old Benny Hill shows? For some reason I seem to recall he wasn't always as "risque" in his material as he was in later years. I remember seeing one particular episode when I was first home on holiday in 1970 which involved a vicar who had shall we say a "wardrobe malfunction". It seems to me there was outrage about it in all the newspapers at the time about how smutty things were getting and old Benny seemed to get raunchier with each passing year after that. We all had a good laugh at the time but these days no one would think twice about it.

Think the vicar one was when he was in full 'vicar uniform' but he turned round and the view from the back showed him to be wearing red bra, red knickers, stockings and suspenders. I loved that so much that I went to a fancy dress party dressed just like that, took a long time to get the costume right, and, as it was winter, getting from the car into the venue was cold, and interesting.

lf1 Sep 26th 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 10301410)
My mother used to put a Twink home perm on my poker straight hair for the Whit walks every year - it stank the house out and I hated it! I got the new white dress etc. too, but not the frilly undergarments! People would take chairs outside and sit outside on the pavement in front of their houses to watch the processions, and my aunties would embarrass me by dashing into the middle of the procession to press sixpences into my hand.

My mother also took me into Manchester every year just before Easter to buy me a new coat "for best", which I would wear to church on Easter Sunday. All my friends would be there preening themselves in their new outfits too, it was a regular fashion parade.

:lol::lol:

That just reminded me. My gran used to put pipe cleaners and rags in my hair every night, so that I would have curly hair. When we became a bit more affluent she started using those flat metal curlers. I hated them as they were uncomfortable to sleep on. Maybe she should have just given me a perm like you. :)

We were the same with the new outfits for Easter Sunday. New coat, hat, shoes, socks and sometimes a new handbag. We would walk down the church aisle as if we were on a Paris catwalk. :lol::lol:

I always wanted a mantila instead of hat, but my mum wouldn't let have one as she thought they were common. Maybe she thought we lived upstairs in Downton Abbey:lol:

lf1 Sep 26th 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10301472)
Think the vicar one was when he was in full 'vicar uniform' but he turned round and the view from the back showed him to be wearing red bra, red knickers, stockings and suspenders. I loved that so much that I went to a fancy dress party dressed just like that, took a long time to get the costume right, and, as it was winter, getting from the car into the venue was cold, and interesting.

Do you have a picture?:lol:

lf1 Sep 26th 2012 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10300848)
Oh Porridge was hilarious! I think you're right about Faulty Towers, circa 1970's is my guess. Another good one was "Are you Being Served". I remember my Canadian born sister being glued to that late at night, you'd hear these hysterical gales of laughter coming from her bedroom, she loved it.

My gran loved to watch Are You Being Served and would try to looked shocked at some of the lines. Another of her favourites, and mine, was Dave Allen, the Irish comedian. She would look shocked at his Catholic jokes, while trying to suppress her laughter:lol:

cheers Sep 26th 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10301487)
Do you have a picture?:lol:

Check down at the Police Station for a copy:lol:

lf1 Sep 26th 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10301495)
Check down at the Police Station for a copy:lol:

Should I contact PC "Dixon of Dock Green"?:lol:

J.JsOH Sep 26th 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10299482)
Exactly, we were raised to be polite, respectful and well mannered and we also lived in a council house. We never wanted for anything, but we didn't just get new things on a whim. We had school shoes, Sunday shoes and sand shoes. In the winter we had boots or wellies, but would never have dreamt of buying a pair of shoes just because. We only got what we needed. Almost forgot, I had a lovely pair of red plastic sandals at,one point. I wore them all the time and especially when we went to the seaside.:)

Gone in some families apparently are the caution to kids to "wait your turn".
In the gift shop at Sandringham estate recently there were a few customers clustered around the payment desk, clutching goods and obviously seeking to make payment.
Along comes a Mom with a 6 or 7 yr old girl, and she says to the kid within my earshot, "you push your way to the front and I'll come behind you"!

curleytops Sep 26th 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10301472)

Oh you must have been cute! :rofl:

curleytops Sep 26th 2012 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10301494)
My gran loved to watch Are You Being Served and would try to looked shocked at some of the lines. Another of her favourites, and mine, was Dave Allen, the Irish comedian. She would look shocked at his Catholic jokes, while trying to suppress her laughter:lol:

Speaking of Irish comics, Spike Milligan was a big favorite in our house. He wrote this book called Puckoon which was about life on the Irish border. I remember my mother taking this book out of the library and there was non stop hysterical laughter in our house for the next couple of weeks followed by repeated rounds of bickering between her and my father. It seems the minute she put the book down he picked it up and started reading and they would fight over it. After they finished it, she loaned it to the lady across the street and the exact same thing went on between her and her husband. About 20 years later I stumbled across this book in the library and decided to have a read; I laughed just as hard as they had.

lf1 Sep 26th 2012 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10300844)
No If1 I have not heard of a single one of those series except for faulty towers, but I will search for them on youtube, thanks for that!!!!
I wouldn't even have heard of Doc Martin if it wasn't for cheers telling me to watch out for it when I come home, he told me about it 6 months or so before I came home, so I was able to see the new series the first year home and I just loved it :) Im also able to catch up on the past programs from a few years ago, one channel over here plays the re-runs,
I cant wait for the brand new series of Doc Martin to start next year :)
Dallas is on again tonight 9pm, I think its the 4th episode of the new series,
I really love it, I think Dallas will appeal more to the older people in my generation that remembers and liked the old Dallas from the 70,s or was it the 80,s? Peyton Place and Dynasty was showing about the same time, loved them too!!!!

Rodney, As I have probably mentioned I love Doc Martin. Just love the quirky characters. I watched Dallas, at least some episodes, in the 70's.
I haven't watched the new shows, how do they compare to the original series?

lf1 Sep 26th 2012 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10301590)
Speaking of Irish comics, Spike Milligan was a big favorite in our house. He wrote this book called Puckoon which was about life on the Irish border. I remember my mother taking this book out of the library and there was non stop hysterical laughter in our house for the next couple of weeks followed by repeated rounds of bickering between her and my father. It seems the minute she put the book down he picked it up and started reading and they would fight over it. After they finished it, she loaned it to the lady across the street and the exact same thing went on between her and her husband. About 20 years later I stumbled across this book in the library and decided to have a read; I laughed just as hard as they had.

I know of Spike Milligan, but I can't recall his material. I was aware of him whilst growing up, but can't really remember his work, although I think OH can and I know he had a big following.

jasper123 Sep 27th 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10301646)
Rodney, As I have probably mentioned I love Doc Martin. Just love the quirky characters. I watched Dallas, at least some episodes, in the 70's.
I haven't watched the new shows, how do they compare to the original series?

If1 you really should have watched the new Dallas from the start and you would no whats going on ------ but I love it !!!!! there are lots of new faces, and younger actors, but they are very good and believable in there characters, but I think what really makes the new series work is bringing back the three main stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, and Linda Gray,
they are of course much older now but they are fabulous,
I really do feel though that it will appeal more to the over 50 age group that enjoyed the old Dallas, cause we have really already been sold on it,
and the chemistry amongst all the stars is so good, I think that this new Dallas wont probably last all the years that the old series did but Im sure there will be quite a few seasons, and while its on our tellys it will be popular and Big,

Jerseygirl Sep 27th 2012 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10302745)
If1 you really should have watched the new Dallas from the start and you would no whats going on ------ but I love it !!!!! there are lots of new faces, and younger actors, but they are very good and believable in there characters, but I think what really makes the new series work is bringing back the three main stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, and Linda Gray,
they are of course much older now but they are fabulous,
I really do feel though that it will appeal more to the over 50 age group that enjoyed the old Dallas, cause we have really already been sold on it,
and the chemistry amongst all the stars is so good, I think that this new Dallas wont probably last all the years that the old series did but Im sure there will be quite a few seasons, and while its on our tellys it will be popular and Big,

I saw the new Dallas months ago when it was shown in the US. I really enjoyed it. I'm glad they brought the old stars back into it...especially JR with that devilish look in his eyes. I don't know if I'd have been able to get into the series without the old stars...IMO they make the transition easier.

Looking forward to the second longer series when it is shown here in January.

Bevm Sep 27th 2012 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10300848)
Oh Porridge was hilarious! I think you're right about Faulty Towers, circa 1970's is my guess. Another good one was "Are you Being Served".

I worked Christmas 1971 in a Debenham's menswear department that was eerily similar, except that the Mrs whatever character was truly smart and very nice. She tried to teach me how to wear scarves but I couldn't get it. I've never been able to wear scarves in a stylish way.

Bev

cheers Sep 27th 2012 2:07 pm

Moving back can go slowly. I remember Rod starting his journey way back when.
Well I would like to think I ve started.
July got my iPad.
Sept got DW going on the iPad
Sept DW sent off for her passport
Sept found a house in England.
Moving along.

Cheers