Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So many of the Monty Python sketches are so funny. Ministry of Funny Walks...the parrot nailed to the perch...10 minute argument...
I could never 'catch on' to that series.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

cheers, the house was lovely. They had the woodburner going and it was so cosy and warm. We both like it but there are a few issues to resolve and we also want to take our time and think it through. It seems as though we have no competition at the moment, although that could change anytime of course.

Today I was woken up by my radio alarm and they were giving a list of places that were flooded in this region - hearing it, I'm surprised we made it back at all last night! The rain is set to end today so hopefully people can get back into their homes soon.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney - Did you notice ITV3 is playing "On the Buses" in the afternoons?

Sally - I think you may just have to invest in a Duck (amphibious vehicle) to continue your jaunts at this rate. I notice there were photos of Knaresborough in the papers yesterday showing the floods.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Rodney - Did you notice ITV3 is playing "On the Buses" in the afternoons?

Sally - I think you may just have to invest in a Duck (amphibious vehicle) to continue your jaunts at this rate. I notice there were photos of Knaresborough in the papers yesterday showing the floods.
Yes curleytops I often watch the re-runs of on the buses, they always make me laugh so much, I love the old British humor, sorry just cant get my head around much of the modern British humor of today, last year I was watching the re-runs of Faulty Towers with John Cleese, WOW that series was so funny, I never new about it until I came home, I think it must have been on TV in U.K. when I was already living in America, do you know? what period was faulty towers on TV? I lived in America from 1974 to 2010 ----- I think I missed a lot of the British TV programs that were on TV in the 70,s and 80,s I bet there were a lot of really good ones too!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:25 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes curleytops I often watch the re-runs of on the buses, they always make me laugh so much, I love the old British humor, sorry just cant get my head around much of the modern British humor of today, last year I was watching the re-runs of Faulty Towers with John Cleese, WOW that series was so funny, I never new about it until I came home, I think it must have been on TV in U.K. when I was already living in America, do you know? what period was faulty towers on TV? I lived in America from 1974 to 2010 ----- I think I missed a lot of the British TV programs that were on TV in the 70,s and 80,s I bet there were a lot of really good ones too!!!!
Hi Rodney,

I think Fawlty Towers came out in the mid 70's. It is a classic. Have you seen The Good Life, Rising Damp and Porridge? They were all aired in the 70's and they still make me laugh today.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Hi Rodney,

I think Fawlty Towers came out in the mid 70's. It is a classic. Have you seen The Good Life, Rising Damp and Porridge? They were all aired in the 70's and they still make me laugh today.
No If1 I have not heard of a single one of those series except for faulty towers, but I will search for them on youtube, thanks for that!!!!
I wouldn't even have heard of Doc Martin if it wasn't for cheers telling me to watch out for it when I come home, he told me about it 6 months or so before I came home, so I was able to see the new series the first year home and I just loved it Im also able to catch up on the past programs from a few years ago, one channel over here plays the re-runs,
I cant wait for the brand new series of Doc Martin to start next year
Dallas is on again tonight 9pm, I think its the 4th episode of the new series,
I really love it, I think Dallas will appeal more to the older people in my generation that remembers and liked the old Dallas from the 70,s or was it the 80,s? Peyton Place and Dynasty was showing about the same time, loved them too!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Hi Rodney,

Oh Porridge was hilarious! I think you're right about Faulty Towers, circa 1970's is my guess. Another good one was "Are you Being Served". I remember my Canadian born sister being glued to that late at night, you'd hear these hysterical gales of laughter coming from her bedroom, she loved it.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Porridge was hilarious! I think you're right about Faulty Towers, circa 1970's is my guess. Another good one was "Are you Being Served". I remember my Canadian born sister being glued to that late at night, you'd hear these hysterical gales of laughter coming from her bedroom, she loved it.
The amazing thing about Fawlty Towers is that there were only 12 episodes in total..
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The amazing thing about Fawlty Towers is that there were only 12 episodes in total..
Only 12???? Just goes to show you it made quite an impact on the world of British comedy.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
cheers, the house was lovely. They had the woodburner going and it was so cosy and warm. We both like it but there are a few issues to resolve and we also want to take our time and think it through. It seems as though we have no competition at the moment, although that could change anytime of course.
"Woodburner going"...Here they would have just baked bread in the oven or cookies to give the house a nice smell.
"Few issues", like they want money for the house.

When is the dollar going to increase? It has been down for about 10 days and it makes no sense to me because I've read that the US is coming out of the downturn and the European economy is getting worse???

Is this house better than the one you saw about 3 days ago?

I mentioned about my DW being on the iPad and after spending days on it she found a new house in Ross-on-Wye she liked. We also got my daughter involved so we will wait and see.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Sep 26th 2012 at 3:38 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

In my book Faulty Towers was one of the best.
They are still running Are You being Served here.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
"Woodburner going"...Here they would have just baked bread in the oven or cookies to give the house a nice smell.
"Few issues", like they want money for the house.
No, the issues relate to Internet access but we have some possible solutions and they are keen to sell to us, so we may be able to make it work. Yes, this house is the same one we saw last week. This was a second visit.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
No, the issues relate to Internet access but we have some possible solutions and they are keen to sell to us, so we may be able to make it work. Yes, this house is the same one we saw last week. This was a second visit.
I'm really excited for you.

I know you can't reveal details of the house but I remember you wanted an older house with high ceilings and windows. Did you hold out for those? Will the house be in Harrogate or Knaresborough? I'd better back off and not ask questions until the deal is final.

I just read this, in the local paper, but I think it is optimistic thinking...

It’s reached the point where there aren’t enough available homes to meet the demand, said Alan Car­ter, manager of developer services for Southern Title Company.

“We see continued posi­tive trends. The problem is we don’t have an inven­tory of homes to pick from any more,” he said.

Lot sales were also at their highest since before the recession, having out­paced the sales from the previous three years in ev­ery month this year.

“We’re seeing more new construction, but the challenge for contractors is they have a difficult time finding construction financing,”Carter said,ar­guing that strict lending has made it difficult for builders to keep up.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone remember any of the really old Benny Hill shows? For some reason I seem to recall he wasn't always as "risque" in his material as he was in later years. I remember seeing one particular episode when I was first home on holiday in 1970 which involved a vicar who had shall we say a "wardrobe malfunction". It seems to me there was outrage about it in all the newspapers at the time about how smutty things were getting and old Benny seemed to get raunchier with each passing year after that. We all had a good laugh at the time but these days no one would think twice about it.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Changing the subject...who remembers Whitsuntide?

Mum always made us new dresses for Whit Sunday...again bridesmaid's dresses. We got new white shoes, handbags and gloves...yes stretch white lacy gloves. Almost forgot...we used to get new frilly knickers too. I remember they had rows and rows of fills and lace going across the back.

My grandfather had a large car...his driver used to collect all the younger cousins (most of my cousins were adults when I was small). He drove us around Sheffield so we could visit all our aunts and uncles and show them our new clothes. They would give us sixpence each. Apart from Christmas...that was the highlight of our year.

Whit Monday...we joined the parade at our local church. All the local church parades met in Longley Park...lots of hymns, singing and prayers. I remember Whit Monday was always a long hot sunny day...it seemed to go on for ever and I couldn't wait to go home.
My mother used to put a Twink home perm on my poker straight hair for the Whit walks every year - it stank the house out and I hated it! I got the new white dress etc. too, but not the frilly undergarments! People would take chairs outside and sit outside on the pavement in front of their houses to watch the processions, and my aunties would embarrass me by dashing into the middle of the procession to press sixpences into my hand.

My mother also took me into Manchester every year just before Easter to buy me a new coat "for best", which I would wear to church on Easter Sunday. All my friends would be there preening themselves in their new outfits too, it was a regular fashion parade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.