Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dunroving
Are you familiar with Joanna Rowsell (professional British cyclist? She is an inspiration to girls with alopecia.

http://www.joannarowsell.com/about/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-19133686
No I hadn't heard of her. Thanks for the links, she is a very brave and determined young lady!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney & Curlytops, I hope that the people that treated you very unkindly are ashamed of themselves.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:16 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Still seemed implausible to me that a CIA agent would get away with acting like that on a daily basis for so long.
Oh I expect you're right. But if dramas were realistic, they'd be too boring to be dramas. I did think her portrayal was very accurate - particularly the part when she was using the colored pens but couldn't explain to anyone. I've been with someone in that state and it's so tough.

I do think the show turned convention on its head in that she was supposed to be an unsympathetic main character in many ways, just as Brody was supposed to be sympathetic despite being a traitor and a terrorist. I just thought the whole thing was brilliant and also incredibly daring for an American show. But of course, not for everyone.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Rodney & Curlytops, I hope that the people that treated you very unkindly are ashamed of themselves.
Thanks for the kind words you know how the old saying goes...."What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Have you watched Downton yet?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
No I hadn't heard of her. Thanks for the links, she is a very brave and determined young lady!
In one of her interviews I've watched, she described when she "came out", so to speak. She usually used to wear wigs during media and public events.

Then I think she said it was last year that she won a medal for the first time in a major professional indoor track cycling meet. Of course, people had only seen her on TV riding with a helmet. When the other two riders from the team (it was the team pursuit) came to get her because the medal ceremony was about to start, she rushed off with them and got on the podium, not realising she hadn't put on one of her wigs.

It caused quite an interesting reaction in the media, as you can imagine. After that she made a conscious decision to be seen more often without her wigs, so she could send out a message to young children who have alopecia (and to children who don't, of course).
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:10 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kind words you know how the old saying goes...."What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Have you watched Downton yet?
No, I haven't watched it yet. OH is going out tonight, so I think I will be tucked up on the couch, with rain and the wind rattling the windows, while I savour every moment of Downton. Based on what Sally has said, I can't wait to hear Maggie's lines. Have you watched it?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Sally, I read in the paper that Ian Rankin is releasing his next book in November and Rebus is back! He was planning to release the book in October, but as J K Rowling is releasing her new book on Thursday, he thought it best to delay his book until later.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
No, I haven't watched it yet. OH is going out tonight, so I think I will be tucked up on the couch, with rain and the wind rattling the windows, while I savour every moment of Downton. Based on what Sally has said, I can't wait to hear Maggie's lines. Have you watched it?
Yep, gonna watch it again tho because I dozed off last night. Weather's crap here too so its a good night for it...and Sally's right!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Growing up was two distinctly different chapters for me & I think my early years here in England were much easier for me. After going to Canada I had to adapt to try & fit in and outwardly I perhaps succeeded but I never ever felt like I belonged. My first hurdle was my accent (none of the kids could understand a Geordie) so I learned to talk Canadian pretty quickly. A couple of years after arriving in Canada I suffered a bout of alopecia areata and for awhile I was "baldy" and not curleytops to the other kids. My hair eventually grew back but the bullying and teasing left their mark and I became and remained very withdrawn throughout my remaining years in school and I was never very popular. My husband, whom I met in the infants school in England, remembers me as an outgoing & vivacious little organizer always surrounded by lots of friends in the school playground. I remember myself in later years as a moody, introverted loner who also couldn't wait to escape school. Happily now I feel far more like the little kid again
Curleytops, thats very interesting in your last few lines in this post, I too became a loner for all my life, with a couple of very deep depressions that I went through, once in my early 30,s and again in my late 40,s, I wonder if the way your childhood runs its course, does that have a significant affect on your whole life, it did with me,
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So come on and tell us about the rain in your neck of the woods. Pretty please.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes we were indeed independent little souls in those days, we ---- my late Sister and I knew our parents loved us, they showed it in many ways, but we were brought up like most were from infant school age at least to be quite tough kids, I always walked to school on my own, it was not very far maybe half a mile, rain or shine, I had a pretty happy childhood until my last year of junior school, I was 11, and it was time to sit the 11 plus exam, everyone in my class including myself failed it and so we were all sent to a secondary modern school as mine was called, I would stay there 4 years until I was 15 and then released out into the working world, those were the days when you could look for work on a monday and by Tuesday have three Jobs lined up, and take your pick!!!
Those four years were hard to get through for me, the school was a rough one, for reasons that I still dont know I was not a very popular Lad, I only had one friend, we were like Brothers, I knew him since I was 5, in infants school, he died at the young age of 42 of unknown causes, he went to bed one night and just never woke up again, anyway the boys would set apon me in groups and beat me up every now and then like a couple of times a month, nothing was ever done about it, the Teachers would even turn there back to what was happening, one day I can remember I was about 13, I came home from school and my Dad took one look at me and saw my black eyes and split swollen lips and badly bruised face and he said thats it, Im going to put a stop to this right now, we went to the Headmaster, Dad said I want this to stop right now, the headmaster said Im sorry that your Son is going through this but he just does not blend in with the other boys and he comes over as a bit stand offish, and its impossible for the teachers to see everything thats going on,
However he said he would look into it, Ha Ha he didn't look further then his nose, the beatings continued, I tried to fight them off but you try fighting off 10 kids around your age or older,
I could not wait to leave school, those four years felt like an eternity to me,
and added to that of course we had the corporal punishment dished out from the teachers quite often, these were the 1950's ----- how things have changed,
But now Im retired and happy with a free bus pass
Rodney, I feel for you pal, I had a similar experiences at school but not to the degree of yours, I tried to stay away from trouble makers but as you know that's not always easy.

I went to a school of 2000 kids, I had some classes where it was just us lads, because there were no girls for the lads to irritate they would pick on the weaker or smaller lads, my Dad always told me to fight back and that did help, but I always hoped the trouble would go away sooner than me prolonging it, I would let the anger build up inside me...

The first time I really fought back I grabbed on to this lads Danish blonde hair and wouldn't let go, I yanked a big tuft out, it was quiet noticeable, he didn't mess with me much more after that, I got sent to the office and thought Id get the cane but didn't.

My parents owned a spar shop while I was in high school, one lad from a rough and dirty family would always threaten me and want me to steal cigarettes for him, I got a lot of agro off him over the six years, I hated going to school the next day knowing he would be there, I always had to come up with lame excuses, needless to say he never got any fags from me.

I've got a sister a year younger than me, she was scared of nobody and would grab lads by the scruff of the neck if she found out someone was giving me grief, its not like she fought my battles because she didnt, still it was good knowing she was there, she's not scared of anyone even today... I love my Sister...

Bullying is a terrible thing, I know I would have done so much better at school if I could have given it my full concentration, the lads in my class would run rings around some of the teachers, that didn't help either...
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
We are in SE Scotland and the local council is busy preparing for the worst. Rain and 60mph winds are expected to hit us this evening
Old Sep 24th 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rodney, I feel for you pal, I had a similar experiences at school but not to the degree of yours, I tried to stay away from trouble makers but as you know that's not always easy.

I went to a school of 2000 kids, I had some classes where it was just us lads, because there were no girls for the lads to irritate they would pick on the weaker or smaller lads, my Dad always told me to fight back and that did help, but I always hoped the trouble would go away sooner than me prolonging it, I would let the anger build up inside me...

The first time I really fought back I grabbed on to this lads Danish blonde hair and wouldn't let go, I yanked a big tuft out, it was quiet noticeable, he didn't mess with me much more after that, I got sent to the office and thought Id get the cane but didn't.

My parents owned a spar shop while I was in high school, one lad from a rough and dirty family would always threaten me and want me to steal cigarettes for him, I got a lot of agro off him over the six years, I hated going to school the next day knowing he would be there, I always had to come up with lame excuses, needless to say he never got any fags from me.

I've got a sister a year younger than me, she was scared of nobody and would grab lads by the scruff of the neck if she found out someone was giving me grief, its not like she fought my battles because she didnt, still it was good knowing she was there, she's not scared of anyone even today... I love my Sister...

Bullying is a terrible thing, I know I would have done so much better at school if I could have given it my full concentration, the lads in my class would run rings around some of the teachers, that didn't help either...
Hi Fish,
That was a very interesting post, thanks for taking the time to tell us a little about your experiences at school,
My Dad was a carpenter & joiner, my Mum worked for the Provident for most her working life, in England in the 40's and 50's when I was growing up people were real poor, and everyone worked hard, but isn't it strange how people got by then, there were very few handouts from the government,
people were just a different breed way back then, one thing I never heard was people moaning about anything, and they had a lot to moan about too, people just got on with life, went to there jobs every day and earned a few pounds a week, worked hard, raised there kids the best they could, sometimes my Mum would cook the dinner and she only had enough food to go around for three people, but there were four mouths to feed, on those nights she would sit in the kitchen on her own nibbling on some broken biscuits while we would be eating dinner, I never knew about this until years later when I was all grown, my Dad told me,
we lived in a 3 bedroom terraced house, the rent was one pound & 10 shillings a week, I was raised there, the bathtub was in the kitchen, water came from a slow running ascot, after our saturday bath the wooden table top would go over the tub which was our kitchen table, no fridge, just a pantry, food didn't have sell by dates on em, if it smelled ok and looked ok then it was fine to eat
Mum would wash all the clothes by hand in the kitchen sink and boil all the white sheets in the copper and ring em out with the mangle, and hang em out on the line, all this and still always working a full time job,
I bet there are sooooo many people on this thread that have simular memories of growing up in Britain, ----- Oh those were indeed the days werent they!!!!!
things were real simple way back then, no TV, just a wireless, I used to listen to the archers ---- an every day story of country folk, my favorite program though was ---- journey into space, it was for kids ---- and I was a kid and I loved listening to it every week, looked forward to it, then later when I was a teenager this new invention called a TV was being talked about, we were the first house in our street to have a TV, we rented it by the week, too expensive to buy, ---- people in our street found out that we had a TV and they would be knocking on our door and ask if they could watch something ----- anything ---- it was such a novelty, my Mum just about knew everyone on the street anyway and would just say sure come on in my favorite program was Ivanhoe staring A very young Roger More, way before he made the Saint!!! he was my Hero, does anyone remember Ivanhoe? I think that was the first time I ever saw Roger Moore in anything,
he was a knight on this beautiful white horse,
Thats one thing about memories, no one can take them away from us.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Please.
We are warming up again, supposed to be upper 90's I'm so fed up.
My summer clothes are falling apart, summer weather has to be over by now.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

my favorite program was Ivanhoe staring A very young Roger More, way before he made the Saint!!! he was my Hero, does anyone remember Ivanhoe? I think that was the first time I ever saw Roger Moore in anything,
he was a knight on this beautiful white horse,
Thats one thing about memories, no one can take them away from us.

Just for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.