British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

mikelincs Sep 23rd 2012 10:17 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10295328)
I remember my childhood as others have mentioned. My mum walked me part way to school and then she went in a different direction to her job. So I walked the rest of the way on my own and I would have been about 6.

During the summer holidays I was out all day long and only went home at lunch time if I didn't manage to get fed at a friends house. Happy days!

My mother walked me the 0.5m to school the first morning, and said she would collect me at the end of school. I said 'you don't need to I can walk on my own' and I did, it was the only time my mother accompanied me to school, ever.

curleytops Sep 23rd 2012 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10295390)
My mother walked me the 0.5m to school the first morning, and said she would collect me at the end of school. I said 'you don't need to I can walk on my own' and I did, it was the only time my mother accompanied me to school, ever.

I seem to recall I handled things on my own after the first morning too except for the odd time my Dad happened to be leaving for work around the same time & he'd drop me off a couple of blocks from the school on his way to work. Independent little souls weren't we?

cheers Sep 23rd 2012 6:21 pm

This is the quiet hour in reverence to the Downton Abbey now being shown in the UK.:D

lf1 Sep 23rd 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10295893)
This is the quiet hour in reverence to the Downton Abbey now being shown in the UK.:D

Cheers,

It is not on until nine o'clock. I can't decide whether or not to watch it live or save it until tomorrow night when OH is out bowling.:)

sallysimmons Sep 23rd 2012 10:08 pm

I think that was the best Dame Maggie episode yet!

mikelincs Sep 23rd 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10296077)
I think that was the best Dame Maggie episode yet!

Yes, she gets some brilliant lines..

jasper123 Sep 23rd 2012 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10295831)
I seem to recall I handled things on my own after the first morning too except for the odd time my Dad happened to be leaving for work around the same time & he'd drop me off a couple of blocks from the school on his way to work. Independent little souls weren't we?

Yes we were indeed independent little souls in those days, we ---- my late Sister and I knew our parents loved us, they showed it in many ways, but we were brought up like most were from infant school age at least to be quite tough kids, I always walked to school on my own, it was not very far maybe half a mile, rain or shine, I had a pretty happy childhood until my last year of junior school, I was 11, and it was time to sit the 11 plus exam, everyone in my class including myself failed it and so we were all sent to a secondary modern school as mine was called, I would stay there 4 years until I was 15 and then released out into the working world, those were the days when you could look for work on a monday and by Tuesday have three Jobs lined up, and take your pick!!!
Those four years were hard to get through for me, the school was a rough one, for reasons that I still dont know I was not a very popular Lad, I only had one friend, we were like Brothers, I knew him since I was 5, in infants school, he died at the young age of 42 of unknown causes, he went to bed one night and just never woke up again, anyway the boys would set apon me in groups and beat me up every now and then like a couple of times a month, nothing was ever done about it, the Teachers would even turn there back to what was happening, one day I can remember I was about 13, I came home from school and my Dad took one look at me and saw my black eyes and split swollen lips and badly bruised face and he said thats it, Im going to put a stop to this right now, we went to the Headmaster, Dad said I want this to stop right now, the headmaster said Im sorry that your Son is going through this but he just does not blend in with the other boys and he comes over as a bit stand offish, and its impossible for the teachers to see everything thats going on,
However he said he would look into it, Ha Ha he didn't look further then his nose, the beatings continued, I tried to fight them off but you try fighting off 10 kids around your age or older,
I could not wait to leave school, those four years felt like an eternity to me,
and added to that of course we had the corporal punishment dished out from the teachers quite often, these were the 1950's ----- how things have changed,
But now Im retired and happy with a free bus pass :)

Celticspirit Sep 24th 2012 3:03 am

I would like to say.......Emmys......what a bunch of rubbish except for Maggie Smith's award :-( sad.....?

sallysimmons Sep 24th 2012 7:11 am

Oh I was so happy to see Damien Lewis and Claire Danes win. For me, that show was the best thing on TV last year by a country mile and they were both fabulous. I've just finished watching the 2002 version of Forsyte Saga on Youtube and Damien Lewis is so different when he's being British!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxsw8YD_7dA

I bet there were a lot of Americans who were shocked when he opened his mouth to speak and didn't sound like Brody.

curleytops Sep 24th 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10296102)
Yes we were indeed independent little souls in those days, we ---- my late Sister and I knew our parents loved us, they showed it in many ways, but we were brought up like most were from infant school age at least to be quite tough kids, I always walked to school on my own, it was not very far maybe half a mile, rain or shine, I had a pretty happy childhood until my last year of junior school, I was 11, and it was time to sit the 11 plus exam, everyone in my class including myself failed it and so we were all sent to a secondary modern school as mine was called, I would stay there 4 years until I was 15 and then released out into the working world, those were the days when you could look for work on a monday and by Tuesday have three Jobs lined up, and take your pick!!!
Those four years were hard to get through for me, the school was a rough one, for reasons that I still dont know I was not a very popular Lad, I only had one friend, we were like Brothers, I knew him since I was 5, in infants school, he died at the young age of 42 of unknown causes, he went to bed one night and just never woke up again, anyway the boys would set apon me in groups and beat me up every now and then like a couple of times a month, nothing was ever done about it, the Teachers would even turn there back to what was happening, one day I can remember I was about 13, I came home from school and my Dad took one look at me and saw my black eyes and split swollen lips and badly bruised face and he said thats it, Im going to put a stop to this right now, we went to the Headmaster, Dad said I want this to stop right now, the headmaster said Im sorry that your Son is going through this but he just does not blend in with the other boys and he comes over as a bit stand offish, and its impossible for the teachers to see everything thats going on,
However he said he would look into it, Ha Ha he didn't look further then his nose, the beatings continued, I tried to fight them off but you try fighting off 10 kids around your age or older,
I could not wait to leave school, those four years felt like an eternity to me,
and added to that of course we had the corporal punishment dished out from the teachers quite often, these were the 1950's ----- how things have changed,
But now Im retired and happy with a free bus pass :)

Growing up was two distinctly different chapters for me & I think my early years here in England were much easier for me. After going to Canada I had to adapt to try & fit in and outwardly I perhaps succeeded but I never ever felt like I belonged. My first hurdle was my accent (none of the kids could understand a Geordie) so I learned to talk Canadian pretty quickly. A couple of years after arriving in Canada I suffered a bout of alopecia areata and for awhile I was "baldy" and not curleytops to the other kids. My hair eventually grew back but the bullying and teasing left their mark and I became and remained very withdrawn throughout my remaining years in school and I was never very popular. My husband, whom I met in the infants school in England, remembers me as an outgoing & vivacious little organizer always surrounded by lots of friends in the school playground. I remember myself in later years as a moody, introverted loner who also couldn't wait to escape school. Happily now I feel far more like the little kid again :starsmile:

Bevm Sep 24th 2012 11:22 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10296095)
Yes, she gets some brilliant lines..

Agreed.

Bev

dunroving Sep 24th 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10296677)
Growing up was two distinctly different chapters for me & I think my early years here in England were much easier for me. After going to Canada I had to adapt to try & fit in and outwardly I perhaps succeeded but I never ever felt like I belonged. My first hurdle was my accent (none of the kids could understand a Geordie) so I learned to talk Canadian pretty quickly. A couple of years after arriving in Canada I suffered a bout of alopecia areata and for awhile I was "baldy" and not curleytops to the other kids. My hair eventually grew back but the bullying and teasing left their mark and I became and remained very withdrawn throughout my remaining years in school and I was never very popular. My husband, whom I met in the infants school in England, remembers me as an outgoing & vivacious little organizer always surrounded by lots of friends in the school playground. I remember myself in later years as a moody, introverted loner who also couldn't wait to escape school. Happily now I feel far more like the little kid again :starsmile:

Are you familiar with Joanna Rowsell (professional British cyclist? She is an inspiration to girls with alopecia.

http://www.joannarowsell.com/about/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-19133686

Jerseygirl Sep 24th 2012 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10296579)
Oh I was so happy to see Damien Lewis and Claire Danes win. For me, that show was the best thing on TV last year by a country mile and they were both fabulous. I've just finished watching the 2002 version of Forsyte Saga on Youtube and Damien Lewis is so different when he's being British!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxsw8YD_7dA

I bet there were a lot of Americans who were shocked when he opened his mouth to speak and didn't sound like Brody.

Claire Danes got on my last nerve...like fingernails down a blackboard. Her character as a CIA agent was totally implausible.

sallysimmons Sep 24th 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10297283)
Claire Danes got on my last nerve...like fingernails down a blackboard. Her character as a CIA agent was totally unplausible.

I felt that way at the beginning but by the end, I was totally into her character and the story. She broke my heart with the breakdown.

dunroving Sep 24th 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10297288)
I felt that way at the beginning but by the end, I was totally into her character and the story. She broke my heart with the breakdown.

Like JG, she bugged the heck out of me, and I really couldn't get past it. I didn't think her acting was all that good. It seemed almost like she was telling herself all the time "remember to be all boggy-eyed and keep saying "OMG! OMG! OMG!" in your head!". :rofl:

But it's all personal taste. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's only fiction, but to me even fiction should be based on reality.

I've read discussions in the papers about her acting and they seem to be split between those who thought she was playing some sort of caricature and those who thought she was portraying accurately how manic behaviour manifests itself.

Still seemed implausible to me that a CIA agent would get away with acting like that on a daily basis for so long.