Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I've never fallen in love with the houses we have bought right away.
I ticked all the boxes I needed to and went from there, making it home and doing it the way we wanted.
But then I did really like and want two other homes that Dh vetoed, he was right (of course) neither would have been right long term, even though I really liked them both. The one we got had everything needed and more (fantastic un-obscured views across the hills to the central valley and on a clear day Mount Diablo)
Dh also looked at saleability, unlike me who just looks for what I want for now.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:05 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Listen to your own inner voice on this. A home is a very important part of your life.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice everyone and food for thought.

The house we bought was on the B list. I didn't walk in the door and think this is it, but I think that had a lot to do with all the stuff in the house and on the walls. Also, the owner, who was showing us around, talked non stop and I found it very off putting. I prefer when the owner is not involved in the sale. Fast forward and now we have been living in the house for a month and I am very happy with our home. We have made some changes and will probably make a few more in the future, but nothing major.
lf1, I think you helped me hit the nail on the head. The first time we visited, the owner wasn't there, this time she was. But both times I had the same sense that I have only just put my finger on: this is a house that has been renovated throughout by two people who loved it to death. Two people who would never leave if they had their way. Sadly, one of them died and the other now finds herself unable to cope with living such a rural life.

But when you walk in the house, it's so clearly stamped with their DNA all the way through - and they are so different from us personality-wise - that I think I'm picking up on that and having a hard time picturing myself there. It's not that it's not to my taste because it is. It's just that it's clearly a house built by and loved by other, very different, people.

All your advice has made me see one thing: we don't have to decide right away. We can look at other houses for comparison, we can think about it, we can go back again if we need to. Honestly if someone else put in an offer, I'd be fine with that. I'm not going to buy it until I'm ready. (Maybe that's my answer right there).

Thanks everyone for responding. I really appreciate the help and advice.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 11th 2012 at 9:22 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Yes I'd like to take a gander too but I think Sally said she doesn't want to muddy the waters and have someone come in and buy it ahead of her.
Honestly it's just that I'd rather not post my address on the Internet. I may end up buying this house and I'd rather keep that private. I hope that doesn't sound rude.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Honestly it's just that I'd rather not post my address on the Internet. I may end up buying this house and I'd rather keep that private. I hope that doesn't sound rude.
That sounds very sensible.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you wrote that because I was dying to see it!
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Not rude at all.....I would do the same :-)
Old Sep 12th 2012, 2:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

If you do buy it Sally, we want to see lots of pictures, before and after, you can smudge out the house number.
The when we move I'll post our pics we have a nice view but a 70's house, not nearly as desirable or expensive as the houses you seem to look at.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was aired in June and finished last month. 2nd series airing in January.
Thanks Jerseygirl,
I loved the original Dallas decades ago ---- never missed an episode, it looks like I will enjoy this new series as much if not even better, the second episode starts tonight at 9pm on chanel 5 in the U.K.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

While I've got you Rodney, how are you feeling a week later?
Real good cheers, my recovery has been surprisingly fast, I dont need pain killers anymore, on Monday I went to the Doctors office and a nurse changed my dressing and I saw the scar for the first time, the wound is healing nicely and the stitch job was nice and neat, quite a long incision though, its been as you say a week now since the Op and already I can walk quite normally without pain, so Im happy about that, Im not ready to start training for the Rio Olympics yet though ----- but I figure Ive got four years to train so theres not that much hurry
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Nope Sally thats not rude at all, most people on here would feel the same way ----- I know I would,

My Mum & Dad bought the house that we live in now in 1967 ----- full price £3,700 its a terraced house built in 1935, it originaly belonged to my Mums Aunt, and she owned it from when it was brand new,
Suddenly for a reason I cant remember her Aunt put the house up for sale, and she gave Mum first chance at buying it,
When My Mum first walked into the house she told me she knew right away that this is the house that she wanted to live for the rest of her life ----- she is still here, she told me on many occasions through the years that everything just (FELT) right, it had lots of character it has a nice big back garden, and built in a very nice neighborhood, directly across from us is a large school and huge football pitch for the students with big trees, and the grass is always green and everything well looked after, ------ the very same school that my Mother went to when she was a child,
Mum always told me she loves the fact that when she looks out of her living room window she does not see other terraced houses across the street,
So we were quite poor, but a couple of years before that time they inherited a small terraced house from my Grandfather, so they sold that house for £2,000 and put it down as a deposit for this house, so the balance was £1,700, my Mum didn't want to have a long mortgage so she got a bank loan for the balance and paid it off in 7 years

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 12th 2012 at 11:47 am.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:37 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about someone else's DNA, Sally. We had one house that was perfect when we moved in and I never felt it was "mine" but it seemed stupid to do stuff just because, especially with two young kids.

We moved on 20 months later for reasons other than the house, but I wasn't sad to leave it.

Most of our houses have been bought in a hurry for whatever reason at the time, mostly location, and have needed work. Over the years of doing the work we made them what we wanted them to by following our tastes.

If you feel you won't be able to change the house, you might end up feeling uncomfortable. OTOH, if you can imagine new paint and then put your stuff in there in your mind, you might banish the DNA.

Bev
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

No, I wouldn't want us to know my address, either.

If that makes sense.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So I finally showed DW the iPad I bought and now I can't pry her hands off it. For the last 3 hours she has been on Rightmove and looking at homes in Harrogate and now she is in Herefordshire. She would normally be watching CNN news?
What should I do?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So I finally showed DW the iPad I bought and now I can't pry her hands off it. For the last 3 hours she has been on Rightmove and looking at homes in Harrogate and now she is in Herefordshire. She would normally be watching CNN news?
What should I do?
Get yourself another one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.