Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Ha Ha thats very funny, she got over it though cause she married him
curlytops to tell you the truth I forgot about the first episode of Dallas and got the days mixed up ---- so the next day I just got into channel 5 main website and was able to stream the entire one hour episode,
I would like to know when the new Dallas aired its first episode in the U.S. could someone tell me please? Im thinking that they are a good two months ahead of us
It was aired in June and finished last month. 2nd series airing in January.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

While I've got you Rodney, how are you feeling a week later?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I need some advice.

We've seen a house that is perfect in every way for what we want, suits our style, is beautifully decorated, is below our budget, and is in a lovely peaceful village without being too far to shops and trains etc.

In every way it is just right for us and yet I am not sure. When I walk in the door, I like everything I see, but I don't have that 'wow I must live here' feeling.

With our last house I knew as soon as we pulled up outside that it was the one for me. Here I just don't have that same feeling.

But I haven't bought many houses so my question is this: How important is it to fall in love with the house at first sight? Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? If so, what did you do?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I need some advice.

We've seen a house that is perfect in every way for what we want, suits our style, is beautifully decorated, is below our budget, and is in a lovely peaceful village without being too far to shops and trains etc.

In every way it is just right for us and yet I am not sure. When I walk in the door, I like everything I see, but I don't have that 'wow I must live here' feeling.

With our last house I knew as soon as we pulled up outside that it was the one for me. Here I just don't have that same feeling.

But I haven't bought many houses so my question is this: How important is it to fall in love with the house at first sight? Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? If so, what did you do?
To be honest, in the cold light of day the ones I bought or was very tempted to buy based on "love at first sight" either were or would have been bad decisions.

The house I bought in the UK back in 1987 (did it up, rented it for a couple of years, then sold it - funded part of my graduate education) was a characterful victorian semi in the Cheshire countryside (Glazebrook) with "bags of potential" (as Phil and Kirsty would say - tossers). It was a complete money pit and the source of a lot of aggravation and heartache. I had looked at a more modest more modern semi just down the street which had everything I was looking for but not the vavavoom, just like you are talking about.

The two houses I bought in the US were relatively plain little single family ranches, but as I lived in them, I grew to like them more and more. They each had their limitations but over time that didn't seem to matter. I loved both of them and always looked forward to getting home after a trip away.

My current house was bought in March 2007 (yes, I know ....) based on seeing it on Rightmove and the opinion of a friend who lived locally (I didn't see it in person). I bought it because I knew it was in a nice village, on a decent street (some scallywags around, but generally a decent mix of people), and I HAD TO GET ON THE LADDER BEFORE PRICES WENT THROUGH THE ROOF! (newspaper headlines at the time). It really hasn't felt like home from the day I moved in. The location makes public transport to work difficult, the jackass who owned it had done so many boneheaded "DIY" jobs that I've spent much of my free time since then putting things right (or paying someone else to), and it is quite impractical (steep narrow steps up to the house, fiddly terraced garden, exposed to the driving rain in winter). I can't wait to get rid of it. There's really nothing majorly "wrong" with it, and visitors seem to like it, but for me it is just impractical and I almost resent the grief I've gone through to properly fix all the botched jobs, and all the hours I've spent driving to and from work for the past five and a half years. the only reason I don't sell it and move to a more convenient local location is because I don't plan on being here any longer than I have to (I'm just not having a lot of luck finding a job elsewhere).

If this house has everything you need, unless you find it unappealing, I'd say buy it. You'll grow into it. If you don't you can always move on but at least in the meantime you won't hate it because it will give you what you need (and presumably will be easy to sell).

p.s. You know we can give you better advice if you post the Rightmove link to it ... or don't you want us to know where you live?

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 11th 2012 at 5:28 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I can only say that we did fall in love at first sight with our house.It`s got bags of potential, and if one had bags of money it could be realised!
I`m kind of worried that the one you`re looking at doesnt fill you with happiness, since you may be spending many years there. It sounds rather like picking a husband, you want that certain something that makes the heart beat faster!
We had a period of time when we tried to move closer to London, and looked at lots of houses, but none of them were right so we stayed put.
I`m sure there will be others. Maybe this one is too perfect and you dont feel you`d be able to make your mark on it?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

On the other hand, we`ve recently been pricing paving. I`d say, if its got good paths, buy it!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I need some advice.

Yes, twice, bought both and made a profit when selling each.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I need some advice.

From what you're saying here it sounds like the house is perfect for you. Do you think perhaps your reticence is due to the fact that you've only just started the search and in the back of your mind you're wondering what else is out there? Just a thought.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I need some advice.

You get that feeling when you found its been sold before you can act
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:36 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

I would keep looking. You should have the right feeling about something this important I think....
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
You get that feeling when you found its been sold before you can act
Excellent point - that's a good way to help you decide how you feel about a house: How would you feel if you found someone had put in an offer? Would you counter-offer, or not be too fussed?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
To be honest, in the cold light of day the ones I bought or was very tempted to buy based on "love at first sight" either were or would have been bad decisions.

The house I bought in the UK back in 1987 (did it up, rented it for a couple of years, then sold it - funded part of my graduate education) was a characterful victorian semi in the Cheshire countryside (Glazebrook) with "bags of potential" (as Phil and Kirsty would say - tossers). It was a complete money pit and the source of a lot of aggravation and heartache. I had looked at a more modest more modern semi just down the street which had everything I was looking for but not the vavavoom, just like you are talking about.

The two houses I bought in the US were relatively plain little single family ranches, but as I lived in them, I grew to like them more and more. They each had their limitations but over time that didn't seem to matter. I loved both of them and always looked forward to getting home after a trip away.

My current house was bought in March 2007 (yes, I know ....) based on seeing it on Rightmove and the opinion of a friend who lived locally (I didn't see it in person). I bought it because I knew it was in a nice village, on a decent street (some scallywags around, but generally a decent mix of people), and I HAD TO GET ON THE LADDER BEFORE PRICES WENT THROUGH THE ROOF! (newspaper headlines at the time). It really hasn't felt like home from the day I moved in. The location makes public transport to work difficult, the jackass who owned it had done so many boneheaded "DIY" jobs that I've spent much of my free time since then putting things right (or paying someone else to), and it is quite impractical (steep narrow steps up to the house, fiddly terraced garden, exposed to the driving rain in winter). I can't wait to get rid of it. There's really nothing majorly "wrong" with it, and visitors seem to like it, but for me it is just impractical and I almost resent the grief I've gone through to properly fix all the botched jobs, and all the hours I've spent driving to and from work for the past five and a half years. the only reason I don't sell it and move to a more convenient local location is because I don't plan on being here any longer than I have to (I'm just not having a lot of luck finding a job elsewhere).

If this house has everything you need, unless you find it unappealing, I'd say buy it. You'll grow into it. If you don't you can always move on but at least in the meantime you won't hate it because it will give you what you need (and presumably will be easy to sell).

p.s. You know we can give you better advice if you post the Rightmove link to it ... or don't you want us to know where you live?
Yes I'd like to take a gander too but I think Sally said she doesn't want to muddy the waters and have someone come in and buy it ahead of her.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

BTW Sally this is so exciting!!!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:28 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally,

I like the question that others have mentioned, how would you feel if someone else came along with an offer? I completely understand what you mean about the feeling you get when you just know it is right. That happened to me when I walked into the house we sold in Calgary.

In preparation for buying our place in Scotland I used Rightmove and BSPC and I came up with an A and a B list. The very first house we visited I loved, as I knew I would, but the village it was in had lost a lot of its amenities, and even the highly rated restaurant in the village did not encourage locals to visit the pub. We were still undecided when the solicitor called us to tell us that another offer was going in and did we wish to make an offer. That really put us under pressure and we decided it was not for us. In hindsight, it was the right decision.

We visited other properties in different areas, but spent a good deal of time in the village in which we are currently living. The house we bought was on the B list. I didn't walk in the door and think this is it, but I think that had a lot to do with all the stuff in the house and on the walls. Also, the owner, who was showing us around, talked non stop and I found it very off putting. I prefer when the owner is not involved in the sale. Fast forward and now we have been living in the house for a month and I am very happy with our home. We have made some changes and will probably make a few more in the future, but nothing major.

I am rambling a bit here and I really don't know if I am answering your question, other than sharing my own experience.

Can you put your finger the stumbling block? Do you see this as your forever house and therefore, don't want to make a mistake? My OH faxed me the plans of the first property we ever bought, along with a few pics and we bought it, even although I had never seen it, that was back in the 80's. Would I do this today? I doubt it, but then I am more risk averse than when I was younger.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
BTW Sally this is so exciting!!!
I subscribe to the popular logic that you need to love the home you buy and that I know instantly whether a house is right or not when I walk into it, but sometimes as others have said the love can occur as you grow into a house.

I have bought and sold both types. The most recent here in Nebraska by the Sea, I did not like at all when I bought it, I did grow into it, but there was always a sense it was not home, now of course I miss it, confusing I know?

If you have found somewhere that appears perfect. As, I think Cheers said - How would you feel if you found out it was gone when you came to put an offer in.

Also, try and think what it is that is the nagging doubt in your mind.

Congratulations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.