Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes Downton Abbey starts next Sunday...16th. 8 episodes and I think there's another Christmas special.
Anyone care to take a bet on who gets the first shot off across the bow...Maggie or Shirley?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Ramblings.............
So I asked DW this morning if she didn't think £2.35 for a Cornish pasty was a bit pricey and to my surprise she said no not really because its a meal in itself besides she said they make more money over there so they can afford it? Oh she also said the pasty is better than a hamburger. Agreed.

I see the pound is at $2.60 this morning so don't change dollars until you see the forecast which says the pound is going to go down.

Sally, I think I know your political persuasion is for the US but what would it be in the UK? Care to stick your neck out?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Hello all,

I am sure what you say is true, including the fact that emigrating is huge, and I completely understand that no matter where one is, there will be things that you dislike, and certainly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, especially on a forum like this.

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

Don't forget that any country is made up of individuals, including, in this case, me, my parents, grandparents, friends, ancestors. So, when an insult is hurled at "America", it's essentially being hurled at all of us.

I know anyone here would feel the same if the tables were turned. It kind of gets your back up.

Additionally, it kind of bugs me to hear people insult Americans when I know they are working for Americans, running businesses that Americans purchase from, and taking full advantage of things we have to offer, and then they turn around and insult us. That seems wrong to me.
Sile are you sure you are on the right thread? you are American quite happy with your life there and thats where you intend to stay right?
SO WHY ARE YOU EVEN READING OUR POSTS? if they upset you soooo much especially, all you need to do is as Sally said go to the site you will feel happy on, on British Expats there are a lot of threads where Americans are very happy together, and Im sure there you will find peace, contentment, and much happiness
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
To change the subject, if anyone is interested in photos of England (or at least my bit of it), I've posted some on Flickr. I'm afraid they're not organized into albums.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fingerrolls/show/
Thank you thank you for a pleasant five minutes respite on another Monday morning in paradise!. Beautiful, photo's, I think you said somewhere else all with an Iphone as well? Impressive. For a brief moment I was there - you captured the essence perfectly. I don't know how I am going to focus for the rest of the week
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sile are you sure you are on the right thread? you are American quite happy with your life there and thats where you intend to stay right?
SO WHY ARE YOU EVEN READING OUR POSTS? if they upset you soooo much especially, all you need to do is as Sally said go to the site you will feel happy on, on British Expats there are a lot of threads where Americans are very happy together, and Im sure there you will find peace, contentment, and much happiness
Sile I think you need to lighten up as they say over here. This quote about the Olympics taken from another poster here on BE I think sums up America imho:

"Powers obsessed with their present or impending grandeur (or sophomorically threatened by rumors of decline) do opening ceremonies differently, humorlessly: much gorilla chest-beating disguised as epic; pumped-up self-congratulatory bombast, deploying vast numbers of bodies in perfect coordination in the service of kitsch folk ballet; synchronized smiling; selective allusions to precisely the popular homely traditions from which state and corporate power have sucked the lifeblood. A ghastly synthetic simulacrum of national unity, every leg in perfect alignment with the Overall Theme. That’s the way it’s been since Leni Riefenstahl invented the genre for Hitler’s 1936 Olympische Spiele. And though subsequent renditions have been less sinister, they’ve still had a kind of mechanical megalomania about them. You will mouth platitudes of universal brotherhood. You will celebrate the harmonious comity of the ripped."

The point is you need to look deeper. The full article is here:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...danny-boy.html

Interestingly, I believe the author is American. note his self deprecating humour and the ability to poke fun at others as well.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

To change the subject, if anyone is interested in photos of England (or at least my bit of it), I've posted some on Flickr. I'm afraid they're not organized into albums.

wonderful photos - oh I don't think I can wait the 3 years!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:59 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Anyone care to take a bet on who gets the first shot off across the bow...Maggie or Shirley?
My money is on Maggie. I think Shirley will give her a run for her money, but I feel confident that Maggie will prevail Are you acting as bookie on this Curleytops?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

My money is on Maggie as well, although I think Shirley will liven it up a bit - not sure when we are getting it here in Canada, any idea anyone?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tempted to make book on this but I'm inclined to agree with you guys re the Dowager. I suspect Isobel could become a casualty of war hit in the crossfire & left in a heap. If memory serves me, Season 2 hit the North American airwaves back in January of this year so Season 3 could well air about the same time next year.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous photos.....no wonder you are happy there :-)
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:53 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Thank you thank you for a pleasant five minutes respite on another Monday morning in paradise!. Beautiful, photo's, I think you said somewhere else all with an Iphone as well? Impressive. For a brief moment I was there - you captured the essence perfectly. I don't know how I am going to focus for the rest of the week
Thanks so much. Honestly I just snap and snap and snap and some of them turn out well. The rest get ditched and we never speak of them again

I am so looking forward to Downton!! Has everyone seen the trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvw7J26V68U

Ah, Matthew and Mary
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Ramblings.............
So I asked DW this morning if she didn't think £2.35 for a Cornish pasty was a bit pricey and to my surprise she said no not really because its a meal in itself besides she said they make more money over there so they can afford it? Oh she also said the pasty is better than a hamburger. Agreed.

I see the pound is at $2.60 this morning so don't change dollars until you see the forecast which says the pound is going to go down.Sally, I think I know your political persuasion is for the US but what would it be in the UK? Care to stick your neck out?
Are you sure about that Cheers? I think the British pound is around $1.60 (at least I hope that's what it is as I am off to the UK in October for 3 weeks).
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Ramblings.............

I see the pound is at $2.60 this morning so don't change dollars until you see the forecast which says the pound is going to go down.

Sally, I think I know your political persuasion is for the US but what would it be in the UK? Care to stick your neck out?

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Are you sure about that Cheers? I think the British pound is around $1.60 (at least I hope that's what it is as I am off to the UK in October for 3 weeks).

If only it was $2.60 to the £...I'd transfer a large amount to the US and make a killing.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
One British pound is at 1.59 USD today.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful photos Sally, particularly the railway ones. My Dad went to work on the railway after he got out of hospital after the war, so I like any of train and stations. I appreciate the beauty and detail in each one.

Btw, Downton Abbey is set to resume in early January over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.